Ruined Opportunity/Job Hunting Sucks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kermit, May 16, 2012.

1. Kermit

Gold Member

Just one of those things that make me hate myself. After signing onto a temp agency i get a call that they're gonna set up an interview for me, couldn't tell me much about it beyond "speckling counter tops" they tell me they will call later that afternoon or in the morning.

They call me around ten and tell me they need me to come in and sign forms adn they will tell me the details for my interview. I've learned I hate that situation and you will hear why in a moment. I come in expecting to sign forms. NOthing but a card, that has date time, name of interviewer name of company. No fucking address!

She volunteered directions verbally. I thought i could find it. No such luck. I find the area with the Hardees and Family Dollar but she said i was on the completely wrong place and need to go back to another part...that i had ventured far off course. So i try hunting for it. I only had a half hour to find it, no access to google maps or anything like that, just running off directions.

I fucking hate myself for not making a recording of her directions or writing it down, seemed simple enough with the tricky part is just a general description of the place, being informed they had no signage. So i'm hunting and it's ten past and she won't see me since i'm late and the agency won't even tell me if i'm still gonna be in their system after screwing this interview up.

Next time I'm gonna insist I get an address before i leave the house so i can do google maps or recording the directions. I hate how i fucked this up, job interviews are so hard to come by. Fortunately I have a government phone coming, so i can get interviews...that never seem to come into any meaningful fruition :(

Things i learned: Always insist on an address before coming in to "get info" or agreeing to sign non-existant papers so i can print out google maps beforehand. Never trust them to give satisfactory directions.

Sorry just had to vent...i hateself for screwing everything up :( like i always do it seems. Carry on y'all

2. KindDiscoGirl

KindDiscoGirl New Member

The temp agency should be much better at setting their workers up for success. This was an example of them doing a poor job at that.

I see how they are trying to protect the employer in this case (for whatever reason, who knows), but I hope they see that if the agency is unable to direct anyone properly to the employer they won't be in business for much longer.

:sorry Sorry, Kermit.

3. Kermit

Gold Member

Well it's my fault for not asking for an address before i left i just trusted them to give me good directions. Or maybe if i wasn't an inept waste of space i could have found it

4. 12barblues

Gold Member

you have luck like me.....
    like albert king sang in the song, born under a bad sign......"if it wasn't for bad luck, i'd have no luck at all"

5. Kermit

Gold Member

Odd update, i just got offered a position at Shaw, done deal, no interview :)

6. SWOJLO

Gold Member

That's Great. what is Shaw?

7. Kermit

Gold Member

An industrial plant, they manufacture carpeting. I've been told I will be training to do quality control on lamentation. That's pretty much all i know.

It was strange as fuck, i thought i had disgusted them because i couldn't find the previously mentioned place and would never call me again but not too long after they gave me a call and said they had a job set up. They actually gave me WRITTEN directions (plus a paycard! :D) I did ask them for an address (they could not provide one) for the actual building i will report to but gave me the name of it so i can look it up independently and use Google Map directions (learned from my mistake lol) but we did a test drive there to find it so we didn't have to hunt in the morning and found it just fine :). No word on how long my assignment will be, if it's days weeks or months, or if there will be an option-to-hire, but i'm sure if they want to hire me on their payroll they should have no issue.

Now i'm an employed froggie yay! Now i can get my license back, save up for a car and pay my roomies rent finally! So i'm not just a burden to them.

#7 Kermit, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  8. backcheck64

Gold Member

One reason I love my GPS, both the one in the car and my phone. Are you talking Shaw floor coverings? Just installed 1300 sq ft of their laminate flooring.

9. Kermit

Gold Member

Yes I am, glad to find someone familiar with it. Most i can tell is i'll be doing inspections, Sweet Magic Christ i'm glad i won't be doing assembly line.

10. wetness1

Gold Member

Well done man!

11. Kermit

Gold Member

I wanna wear my Mapei hat, but probably won't go over too well lol

12. LilBAM

Gold Member

Yay! Congrats on the job! :)

13. RideNaked2

Gold Member

YAHOO!!!!! So happy for you Kermit! :)

14. Alwayslearningsex

Gold Member

Congrats Kermit, great.

15. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Shaw owns industrial plants? Is it a different company than Shaw the international telecom company? They are one of our biggest customers.

16. Kermit

Gold Member

They make carpet, but apparently it's just a temp job, not training me to work there. Someone fucked up at Shaw and put some boxes on the wrong sized pallets, 186 of them to be exact. So they hired some temps (that's where i came in) to clean up the mess the employees made instead of paying them the overtime to fix it. Probably will finish it up within a week or less and go back waiting for the next assignment

17. KindDiscoGirl

KindDiscoGirl New Member

Congratulations, K. :)

edit: Eek! that was before I read the rest of the thread. Just kick ass at doing whatever work they have for you. Just make just you do a solid job and hopefully that will lead to something more permanent.

18. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Dont feel bad. I just started a new car painting job that SUCKS. First of all its a mobile car painting company that fixes bumpers and minor body work to cars at dealers that dont have a body shop. The problem is that Im more of a under hood guy and know alot about the mechanics. I know jack shit about sanding and paint and I told them that but they decided to take me in anyways. A friend who is an amateur painter hooked me up with the job because he needed a helper so I hesitantly accepted. He has a tendency to hype stuff up. "Oh all you have to do it mask it and sand alittle while I paint, its easy you dont have to know nothing yet." I should have known better...

Worse than I thought it would be. I mean I knew it was ganna be some crap but this was BAD. If youll allow me to thread jack let me explain and vent alittle; since its mobile, its outside... in the scalding sun... with winds blowing dirt around... on a blacktop darker than Wesley Snipes... with a friend that doesnt know what hes doing. I asked him to explain to me how to mask stuff on and how to sand and jus showed me where to do so. So, I fucked the sanding up and the masking took forever, all in front of the boss too. Then the paintgun doesnt have enough presser and blots the paint which now looks like complete shit. Then sanding it down to get all the dirt that decided to blow on wet paint and to get it smooth. Took 4 hours and still looked like complete shit. Took 10 hours to do 2 bumpers while the other guys next to us busted out 9, while we look like fucking retards. With many other details out, the boss calls me later on and is cussin me out instead cuz the painters phone is dead. Needless to say I fucking hate body work, this is why Im under the hood.

Fuckin bullshit. I should never listen to this guy because he always ends up fuckin me on stuff.

/rant