RIP Joe Paterno

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Not sure if it's just a Pennsylvania thing, but he was probably the most famous football coach who ever lived. I hope they name something big after him. Coached at Penn State for nearly 50 years.

[​IMG]

I hope there is no rioting at the school. When they took his name off of the trophy due to a scandal with one of his underlings there were three days of rioting by the students.

2. 1hotmamma420

Gold Member

He sure was looked up to by many, many people. I think everyone in PA knows of his influences.

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

Reports of his death were exaggerated. But he is in serious condition, according to his family. Complications from Lung Cancer treatment. 11:29 PM EST

4. dilligaf0308

dilligaf0308 New Member

Paterno in serious condition - College Football
    STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP)—A family spokesman says former Penn State coach Joe Paterno, who is battling lung cancer, is in serious condition after experiencing health complications.
    The 85-year-old Paterno has been in the hospital since Jan. 13 for observation for what his family had called minor complications from cancer treatments.
    “Over the last few days Joe Paterno has experienced further health complications,” spokesman Dan McGinn said in a brief statement Saturday to The Associated Press. “His doctors have now characterized his status as serious.
    “His family will have no comment on the situation and asks that their privacy be respected during this difficult time,” he said.

5. CosmicEye

Gold Member

I think its a confirmed death about 5 hrs ago (9:00pm-ish eastern US time). I think stress had alot to do with it with the kid touching charges and all the publicity

6. strathmore

strathmore New Member

CBS Apologizes for Joe Paterno Death Report (Update)
    By Tim Molloy at TheWrap
    Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:26am EST
    CBS Sports apologized for reporting Saturday that former Penn State coach Joe Paterno had died, saying it had fallen "well short" of its own journalistic standards. Paterno's family had quickly denied the report, but not before it was tweeted or reported by a slew of other media outlets, all of which raced to update their initial reports after the denial.

7. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I want to remind everyone that Joe Paterno did not do that. It was his underling Jerry Sandusky. Joe did the right thing and reported to his boss, Athletic Director Tim Curley as well as Gary Schultz, who oversaw University Police. He said in an interview he thought it was right to hand over the handling of the situation to someone with more knowledge of what to do.

I do not think this scandal will taint his legacy as the greatest football coach in history. He had 5 undefeated teams.

#7 ninja08hippie, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. Catchlight1234

Catchlight1234 New Member

I'm a Penn State alumni. The whole scandal sickened me deeply. But as ninja said, Paterno did no do anything wrong, and in all actuality, I read on quite a few blogs and other articles (take that with as large ((or small)) a grain of salt as you would prefer) that under PA state law, he did everything he was legally responsible of doing. What he did is the same that you or anyone else would do if you had witnessed a murder, which is go to the head of police (or, in reality, call 911.. but you get my drift).

Anyways, I will not let this ruin what a great man he was and what legacy he created. Above his position as coach, he was a friend to all on campus and many, myself included, had seen him on his daily walks and talked to him about the simpler things in life.

As far as the stories last night that he had passed.. that's one downfall of Social Media. It only takes one person to make a comment, and the whole world follows and believes.

9. phish

Gold Member

I'm also a Penn State alumni. I feel the same as catchlight1234 and ninja. I think Paterno did what he should have done and reported it up to the chain of command. He kinda got the shaft and they should have have let him retire on his own in Dec. I think the board of directors should get the ax because of everything too since Joe got it.

10. CosmicEye

Gold Member

I dont really know what to believe about the scandels. Thats the downfall of all the different media stories. He was one of the greatsed coaches to have ever lived though, that undeniable.