Right time to move in together?

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by zealot447, Jul 14, 2007.

1. zealot447

zealot447 New Member

So what is everyones opinion? Ive heard from 1 year all the way to 4.

2. Paula

Gold Member

when the time is right :)

even when it's 10 years

3. KynniB

KynniB New Member

When were married. Its been statiscally proven that people who cohabitat are more likely to divore when married. For me its a religious and personal belief.

4. beast86

beast86 New Member

From my own experience...give it time. I basically lived with my ex from the very first night. We both lived on campus and I slept with her every single night of the semester that we were together. As soon as the summer came and we were apart, things went downhill, very fast and we broke up less than a month into the summer/being away from each other.

5. Runtoyou

Runtoyou New Member

I agree with beast. Give it time. Relationships with sex too quickly tend to fall apart in my experience. :)

6. zealot447

zealot447 New Member

well, for me its more of shes planning to move bout 5 min away after her first year of college, and once i get through my first year n make management i plan to move out. so we were considering since we would both be closer to colleges and rent would be cut in half.

7. cbrmale

Gold Member

I am agnostic, which means that I am not convinced that there is a spritual deity or deities. In other words, I am not driven by religious ideology. However, when it comes to marriage, I believe that if someone is special enough to live with, they are special enough to marry. Marriage to me is a comittment to love each other for better or worse, as best as you can manage it.

I am also aware that couples who live together are more likely to break up either during the partnership or if they get married later. My own personal experience was I had a couple of semi-long-term relationships that were never going to be life-long, and then I met someone really special. We got engaged after six weeks and married a few months after that.

Love means different things to different people, but maybe love is when you meet someone who does this to you, and you do something special to her too. Maybe the other thing that helps the decision process is the relationships that don't work, because those relationships with elements missing teach you a lot.

8. zealot447

zealot447 New Member

i learned a lot from my last 3... n thats what i tell people... even if it doesnt work out you learn a lot

9. RustyShackelfor

RustyShackelfor New Member

Thats atheist i believe, agnostic is you dont have a set religious view.

10. RustyShackelfor

RustyShackelfor New Member

Actually from what ive read and heard, its actually better to live with a person for a bit before you marry them. I believe in this as you will see sides of them you wouldn't see and you can truely see if you two are compatible.

Its definately not something you should rush into, ESPECIALLY at a young age, you think you know everything but you dont know shit to be honest. Just sit back relax and when the time is right it will happen, im sure your thinking sweet i can get pussy 24/7, yeah but you can also get nagged 24/7 and she will get annoyed by the little things you think are normal, not to mention keeping that toilet seat down.:lol

11. Dreama

Gold Member

I think it's different for different couples. I'd say a little more than a year would be reasonable, but as I've said, it really is different for all couples.

12. judgefudge

judgefudge New Member

My fiance and I moved in together after we got engaged. We both wanted to get our of our parents' houses, and we were tired of having do leave and drive home every time we saw each other. Plus we both felt that we wanted to know that we could handle living together 24/7 before we made that commitment forever.

So far so good! :)

13. cbrmale

Gold Member

No, that's what religious people would like to believe. Agnostics are open to the concept that there may be spiritual deities wheras atheists have no spiritual belief at all. As an agnostic you don't deny spirituality, but you certainly deny the expression of spirituality through religious dogma.

14. Buffalo204

Buffalo204 Member

I don't think there is an answer to that. Each case is different.

15. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

Each relationship is differnet... however if your ONLY reason is to reduce rent, look into subsidized housing or on campus living. Being young and in a live in relationship can be REALLY REALLY REALLY tough on school performance and then what happens if she turns out to not be the one? you're stuck in a lease with someone you aren't real comfortable being around or paying the fines to break the lease and then trying to find a new place.

I think moving in together should be about love and a dedication to a lasting relationship, not necissarily about financial ease (although, I do agree that 1 rent instead of 2 is nice.)

Maybe consider roommates of your own? College roommates can often become life long best friends

16. saml

saml New Member

I agree that it is usually best to wait but me and my now wife moved in together while I was 17 (still in hight school). I am now 22 we are married, have a 9 month old, and literally have no major problems. I am not saying that it we will never split but at the rate we are going we have still yet to have a *real* fight.

It all just depends on you and who you are with. Do not do it before you are comfortable and let her know the same.

17. zealot447

zealot447 New Member

true true, but i also have about another 8 months to think about it, i just wanted some outside opinions other than friends

18. Iron Hero

Iron Hero New Member

We didnt move in together until a year and a half. I agree with everyone else, don't rush it because the result is almost always a bad one.

19. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

My wife came to visit for a week and never left. About the same thing happened with my late wife. (I think they liked the free rent.)

20. SaturnVenus

SaturnVenus New Member

My hubby and I moved in together a month and a half after we started dating and it was the best decision ever. We are now married and have a baby together. I guess it all depends on the relationship and how you are feeling about the commitment at the time because living together is also a commitment and it does requires extra work.