Ridiculous Valentines question

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by Gunnther, Jan 26, 2008.

?

Valentines night meal!?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2008.
  1. Posh, fussy, and expensive?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Relaxed, Tasty amd...ahem.. not so expensive?

100.0%
  1. Gunnther

Gunnther New Member

Hi SF fellows,

Just a quick conundrum and im wondering if any of you ladies might be able to help me in my silly little question...

Valentines night is rapidly approaching - and normally ive been quick to book up early.
    I Love my food - sadly my girlfriend is a lot more fussy, preffering kind of typical popular dishes..most of our meals out tend to be family style restaurants or carverys (drooling at the idea right now)

As im finding out its becoming insanely expensive for the more exclusive restaurants, and annoyingly the food choice is becoming wildly exuberant as well.

We have had many Valentines meals over the years, some places beautiful looking, and the food has been, ....erm...interesting,... if not that tasty.

As romantic as I am, im worrying....
    1) If i could find a place i can actually afford,.. would the food options be so limited for her, and the joint too fussy,.. that she might not enjoy the meal..
    or 2) If I was to go for somewhere (like a posh carvery) that i feel, could be almost as romantic, have a lot more food options that i know she would enjoy, but yet be also slightly cheaper.... (gunnther hears the sounds of 100s of females gnashing their teeth)
    which would seem acceptable/preferable?..

I guess the question is...which option would you wonderful, beautiful ladies out there want, if your fiance/husband was going to take you out for a valentines meal?..

-The incredibly elaborate and 'posh' (and expensive) restaurant...(that probably you might only like 2% of the menu)
    -or the more relaxed, better(?) menu selectioned, but hopefully still quite romantic restaurant?

Many thanks for your help and choice,..it will be interesting to see what people think (though im pretty sure i know which you ladies would prefer....but ill see what you say)

2. Dreama

Gold Member

I wouldn't even worry about a resturant if it's me and my husband. I mean, it would be a plus, but nothing says romantic to me like a nice quiet evening in, loving on each other, dining on food we made together.

But, if I were in your place, I'd book the less expensive joint. Or couldn't you ask your SO? Is this supposed to be a surprise??

3. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Make her dinner.

4. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

6 to 1
    for the not so expensive dinner.

Hiker

5. Peregrine

Peregrine New Member

my wife and I have pretty much stopped going out on VD. Tired of the hoopla and the BS and the long lines and crowded restaurants, y'know? Becuase even with reservations, the places are always so freaking packed. And of course I love how a bouquet of roses suddenly goes from $15 a dozen to $50 in just one day.

Try what we do.... go out the weekend AFTER VD and celebrate.

6. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

If one of you has their own living quarters (with a kitchen), I suggest making the whole kitchen/dining area into a private cafe' - soft music, candles everywhere, go ahead & splurge on some flowers! Have all the ingredients for a menu that's a favorite for BOTH of you, get dressed in such a manner that makes you feel like you're somewhere fabulous, and leisurely make and eat your culinary creation. During dinner, enjoy a little romance - tender touching, short kisses. I'm certain something along this line will give her a Valentine's Day memory she will not soon forget!

7. Peregrine

Peregrine New Member

Just had a thought. Buy a fondue pot! Over my sisters last night and we cooked shrimp and steak in a fondue pot. Had all kinds of sauces for dipping. It was really cool, and we certainly had a great time. You can fill it with oil and cook right on your dining room table. Felt kind of elegant!
    Fondue pots are making a comeback. We have a restaurant in town http://www.meltingpot.com/. Much cheaper and more fun at my sisters house. Better yet, don't tell her about it until that day.

8. Rose

Gold Member

To add to that, you can make dessert with the fondue as well:

melted chocolate in the fondue pot & dip strawberries, pineapples, bananas, pound cake bits.... and you can make it quite an erotic adventure. Just use your imagination! :brow

9. Gunnther

Gunnther New Member

I knew Rose would have some seriously wise words :)
    thankyou all so far for your answer - I have to admit , my bias was a little bit obvious in the opening of the thread - but even I am surprised by the response. I thought there may be at least a few that preffered the high class gin joint, (im still sure there are quite a few of you out there) hell I certainly love a good classy restaurant, but i have to agree with peregrine when it comes to Valentines Day evenings - they all know how to magically turn the same menu/bunch of flowers/drinks into something so expensive its as if they were transported from venus.

So thankyou all, I love your opinons....

...and if youve got any suggestions for after the meal ;)
    p. s I dont mind - the kinkier the better ( ok so my SO might not be in the mood if the night doesnt go so well,.. but a man has to prepare doesnt he? - even if it does include leather or gel ...*kinky evil chortle* :) :) )

Thankyou all again.

10. Thorn

Gold Member

I voted with the masses, 13 to nil, "not so expensive!" Y’all cheap assholes - I'm with you. :rofl

V-Day ? I don't think we've ever done anything expensive on the 14th. Maybe a nice dinner at a restaurant. (Outback, Olive Garden, nutin expensive) Maybe Burger King this time? :eek::lol

11. emerlyj

emerlyj New Member

I voted for the not so expensive. While a posh resaurant would be nice i'd rather have food that i like (since the whole point of a restaurant is to eat!)
    But eating in and cooking a meal you know she likes would be lovely too, and that little bit more special as well.

12. Goldenlion

Goldenlion Banned

Maan this is just insane.

Last vals i wanted to cook my gf dinner, with some nice wine and candles next to my open fireplace.

Well i burnt the meal because we went out for a quick time and for whatever reason the heat on the stove was way higher then when i left it.
    So i ended up just ordering a pizza.

We had a pizza at a candle lit table with a fire... It was more romantic then any meal i've ever gone on.

Fine meals, expensive restaurants doesnt make anything romantic, what is romantic is the two people who love each other, they make the experience.

Surprise her by doing up your dining room or whatever you have, get some great music, dim the lights and make her a lovely meal or something.
    Rose pettle up your bed and get some candles, if she loves u she will love the idea :)
    Good luck man... dont do something stupid that u cant afford which is the bottom line.... why cant she pay half ?

13. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Valentine's Day out is a rip off! I agree with the others who said do it at home....For as much as you would pay for the "inexpensive" dinner that night you could probably hire a personal chef to do the works if she does not like your food. (Just make sure to kick him/her out when the food is done.....LOL) I really like the fondue idea. We stopped going out on Valentine's day a while back because it is so exhorbitant. I really LOOOOVE to cook, so I would rather do that and stay in anyway.....

14. bigpappi

bigpappi Member

we are doing valentines day at home......I am cooking some pasta.....cracking open a bottle of wine...putting some candles on the living room table and setting the plates there and throwing a bunch of pillows down on the floor and sitting there aand eating there at the living room table actually......hopefully immediately moving to the couches afterwards

15. cook74

Gold Member

On Valentines day I will be with a crew of 10-12 serving up over priced meals to (we hope) over 500 couples throughout lunch and dinner services, and the barmen would be making over priced drinks. 98% of the customers will leave the restaurant happy and my boss will be ecstatic about his profits.

Valentines is also my last day at work before my bucks weekend, marriage and honeymoon. So no romantic dinner for us on that day (14 hour shift) :(

16. bigpappi

bigpappi Member

sorry to hear that....about the no romantic dinner and the 14 hr shift..I too work in an industry where i see massive amounts of cash flow in....we get busy as hell, have to work our asses off even more and dont really see any of it in the long run....sucks ass. hope everything else turns out good for you.

17. ChargerBabe

ChargerBabe New Member

Wow 18-0. I'd have to say us women are not as high-maintenence as some may seem!

I would definitely prefer relaxed and fun over posh any day.

18. jadeddiva

jadeddiva New Member

This will be the first Valentine's Day with boyfriend and he is racking his brain on what to do thinking how expensive things are.

I told him i'm not picky,we can grab a pizza and go to his place. After supper,get out our favorite goodie bag :eek:ils,candles,blindfold,body paint,feathers,rope and cool whip. :)

19. cook74

Gold Member

It's my last day at work for three weeks and they are the most important three weeks of my life... Things will turn out alright (I hope :eek :nerv:lol). I'm over the moon :woohoo

20. Rose

Gold Member

... and the faint chime of wedding bells are heard in the not too distant future for our friend Cook74! :woohoo