Religous rituals

Discussion in 'Sexual Fetishes and Fantasies' started by Barent, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Barent

Verified Gold Member

Decided not to post it, people might get offended.

#1 Barent, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. GuyBme

Gold Member

Lol people get too offended too often.

That being said I am not religious. People can believe and do what they want as long as it does not affect me.

3. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

4. Barent

Verified Gold Member

Good article, and apes might have some way of coping with fear, boredom or other emotions, though rituals which could be similar to religious rituals of humans. It sounds plausible.

10_3XL likes this.
  5. cook74

Gold Member

Post it and don't worry about what other might think. Its a pretty liberal site I think. And those that do have a problem can always ignore the article.

SWOJLO, 10_3XL and Sweetlysad like this.
  6. Sweetlysad

Verified Gold Member

I agree, as long as it's within the site rules I would post what you want to post.

7. Barent

Verified Gold Member

It was a picture of the Pope kissing a Muslim's feet at the Vatican. He does this a lot, there's plenty more such pictures of him doing this. He has also called upon Catholics and Western people in general to stop insulting and making jokes about religions, Islam in particular. [​IMG]

#7 Barent, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    10_3XL likes this.
  8. cook74

Gold Member

Haha, I thought it was to do with sex. Now if it was pics of the pope sucking... Nah I wont go on.

What people make jokes about has nothing to do with the Pope who is nothing more than a CEO of a very rich company.

9. MariaMaria

Gold Member

I also thought it was sex related since this is in the fetishes and fantasies section.
    I was raised Catholic and I participated in this ritual once. The nuns washed my feet (and my classmates'), dried them and kissed them. It's supposed to be about humility and service. However, since I learned the meaning of hypocrisy from the nuns themselves, this ritual means nothing to me personally. I have to say, though, this Pope is the first one who doesn't make me roll my eyes all the time...

#9 MariaMaria, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    lbushwalker and SWOJLO like this.
  10. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Pope Francis is the first Pope in my community's memory that hasn't made us feel distinctly uncomfortable/distrusting about The Church (remember that for a VERY long time us Jewish folk were labelled as the main cause of Jesus' death and had to endure all the anti-Semitism that led to).

He's made great strides to updating The Church's image and function to better meet a modern and dynamic world. One might even label it, "Adapt or Die" -- a very Darwinian approach; surprising from a Catholic. :cool:

Note: This is not to knock on Catholics or cast negative light on anyone's beliefs. I feel it necessary to say that because I know we have a few members here who are Believers in The Church.

lbushwalker likes this.
  11. Barent

Verified Gold Member

I felt that the pope's foot kissing ritual is just wrong, in so many ways. Having survived a number of years of Catholic schooling. I think that I have a right to say that this man is an utter fool.

ply and Amature like this.
  12. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I can appreciate the intended symbology and whatnot... but personally I don't really agree with it. There are far better, more profound, and more enduring ways to illustrate your piety and humility. Like... I don't know -- instead of washing/kissing the feet of the disenfranchised and/or downtrodden, why not actually provide them with some charitable giving to help truly lift them up to a better place in this world?

But that's just my decidedly un-Christian take on the matter. :cool:

13. Barent

Verified Gold Member

He represents Western thought and values, to the Islamist Supremacists. When they see him kissing a Muslim's naked foot, they see it as weakness. I'm not saying all Muslims, or most, are this way, but there is a significant risk with some segments of the Islamic world and with presenting an image like this. Anyway, I don't like anybody that claims to be special, or somehow spiritually in tune with a higher power.

Amature likes this.
  14. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

That's a fair take on the situation. It's a super dicey game to begin with -- throwing "The Voice of God on Earth" into the picture makes it that much more of a powderkeg. Some things are probably best left undone/unsaid. I acknowledge he did it with his heart in the right place, but like you said there is a lot of potential for this getting out of hand and being used for negative purposes.

I also can see how it could easily be turned into a "looking down on the poor ignorant heathens" message. Because here you have the avatar of God performing this act that is usually saved for those who are lesser/weaker/on a lower level, so it is implying that these Muslims are now less than Catholics -- see what I'm saying?

And, yes, the holier-than-thou attitude of having an avatar of God on Earth is somewhat... presumptuous... in my eyes as well.

But OH SHIT WE'RE TALKING SKEPTICALLY OF RELIGION!!! WHERE ARE THE BOOBIES?! :eek:

ply and Barent like this.
  15. Wizard1002

Verified Gold Member

.......lets hope he doesn't start kissing them (boobies)!!!

16. sandwich

Gold Member

I don't find that pic to be offensive nor do I find it to be uplifting. So...I am mostly neutral except if I think about it too much I recall that foot kissing is icky (to me) no matter who the kisser and kissee are.

"Religious rituals"...I think those two words are made for each other. Religion is so often reduced to a list of things people do to be 'good', 'acceptable' or whatever term you prefer. It then becomes all about them and much less about a relationship between the individual and God. This all oozes out in a slime of person to person comparisons where an individual may evaluate his or her outward acts of goodness to those of others. This is what they need to do to feel good about themselves. So then religious rituals can lead to just one more form of self centeredness. I know not everyone believes there is a God, so I don't expect people to agree with or understand my view.

SWOJLO likes this.
  17. Meee

Gold Member

The boyfriend and I don't use religious rituals as sexual fetishes and fantasies, but we've had sex in churches.

ply and SWOJLO like this.
  18. sandwich

Gold Member

I had another thought about that pic. All it does it draw attention to the kisser (in my view). The kisser could be anyone....a farmer, the Pope, my neighbor....and I would feel the same way.

I think that religion, in the general sense, and the rituals that go along with it are mostly about self righteousness. Ouch! Yes, I do believe that. If you peel off the layers of religion and expose what is really going on inside the individual, I think in many cases it's about being your own god and padding the grade card of your life. What then is the real human motive behind so called acts of love and kindness? Is there any love motivated by selflessness ? [rhetorical questions]

Regarding the Pope....I don't know what his thoughts and motives are, so I cannot judge what is going on. For all I know he was motivated by selflessness. My point is that so often humans are not motivated by selflessness and follow rituals and make a display on the outside and end up with little more than a sense of self righteousness....and what good is in that? [rhetorical question]

10_3XL likes this.
  19. pool_shark

pool_shark Active Member

When I first saw the title of the thread, my mind read "ridiculous rituals".

Then when I saw the actual title, my mind said "same thing".

Nixie likes this.
  20. Nixie

Gold Member

I observe plenty of religious rituals, but they mostly involve sex and fire and such. Does that count? :)

lbushwalker likes this.