Religion

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by whybother, Feb 2, 2016.

1. whybother

Gold Member

Since the OP on the most recent post said no debates, I thought we should have a thread dedicated to debate. Or rather, I should say to bashing religion. There are many member, who I honestly like and respect who can't pass up a chance to bash others belief in God. So here is a place for bashing religion.

I will start by saying that I am Roman Catholic. My faith is not based on blind acceptance of what I was taught as a child. It is based on years of introspection, reading, listening, exploring and , yes , prayer.

I believe that things are caused by something, and that an infinite regression of cause is impossible. There must be a first cause that was not caused by anything. I call this God.

I believe in the Big Bang. Whether the Big Bang was the beginning or was part of some other process, everything that exists now is contingent on the Big Bang. They are finite. I believe that there is something infinite that is not contingent on that moment of creation. I call this God.

I believe that in order for time to exist, for space to exist, there must be something outside of time and space. That everything in the universe ha some degree of perfection. if there are degrees of perfection, then there must be something that is the pinnacle of perfection. I call this God.

I believe that the laws of physics are true and that means that nothing moves without a force acting upon it. There is something must have been the first thing to put others in motion. I call this God.

I therefore believe in God.

So if you want to bash my beliefs, go ahead. Bash away. I do not understand why we at SF accept everyone for who they are, gay, transgender, or straight. We accept fetishes and do not judge, but when someone says they believe in Christ they are called "blind". That they believe in the impossible.

I come to SF because it is an accepting community, but I don't feel accepted.

Amature, CLE32793 and Dog_E_Ryder like this.
  2. whybother

Gold Member

Science relies on replicating results. If you perform an experiment and get a result but can't replicate that result your conclusion will not be accepted. So on what basis do you conclude that we can't be alone. You only have evidence of one abiogenetic event. Isn't your assumption that life exists simply because it can as "blind" a belief as believing in a God?

Mr_Blue likes this.
  3. backcheck64

Gold Member

The chances that, with all of these potentially habital planets that this is the only rock with life, is incredible. We have found and cataloged many planets that can potentially support life, that we can see repeatedly, that's a fact. The distance makes the time gap huge, if the closest planet that can support life is looking at us, they are seeing dinosaurs. That is factual, stories that have been written down, then translated umpteen times to include "more stories" is far from a fact. The original bible wasn't even started till 70 yrs after supposed jesus's death. It was a book written to scare people into acting half way civilized. There are other religions that predate Christianity with a stronger basis.

CLE32793 likes this.
  4. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

I'm not participating in this debate. Y'all have fun. It's pointless IMO.

10_3XL, Mikey22, xtacy4 and 2 others like this.
  5. Hottie6275

Verified Gold Member

I, like Whybother, am a Catholic. Go figure considering all the other similarities between us. Being a Catholic was chosen for me by my parents. Throughout life I have seen no reason to change. In fact, I passed it on to my kids as well. But until recently, I didn't go to church and wasn't really sure if it matter that I didn't. I have returned to church and to be honest, I'm not completely sure why. I am equally not sure what I get out of it. But I do pray regularly. Not to win the lottery, or for good fortune, but somehow it calms me down.

Religion is personal choice. Believe in God, or don't. Big Bang or evolution. Why does what you believe in mean I have to believe In The same thing. If I die tomorrow, and there is no God then I still found peace when I was alive. Die and there is a God, and maybe that mysterious afterlife will be kind to me. Eternal peace is a hard thing to bet against.

Call me stupid or foolish. I don't care. Tell me all the scientific reasons God doesn't exist. I don't care about that either. Argue about planets and whether we are the only one with life. How narrow minded is that? I just hope if there are other planets with life, their women are as hot as ours on earth are. And if there is an afterlife, I hope my cock can still get hard, pussies still get wet, and that I get there before my wife does. I'd hate to live in eternity and still not get fucked!

Englishman and whybother like this.
  6. whybother

Gold Member

I am having trouble reconciling these two statements. Based on the first statement, You need to have definitive proof. I've seen no definitve proof of life anywhere else. And the theory is not rock solid. No one has been able to replicate abiogenesis. So the theory of how life develops isn't "rock solid". We can't replicate the creation of life, and as far as we know, it only happened once, here on earth. If it is so incredible to believe that life wouldn't develop somewhere else. why hasn't life developed here a second time since it developed over 3 1/2 billion years ago? It is incredible that life developed. That is exactly the point.

7. backcheck64

Gold Member

If believing in a god makes you all warm and fuzzy, that's cool, just don't let it rule the nation. They have pretty well proven how the earth formed and life had actually hitch hiked on an asteroid that crashed into the earth. Evolution is undeniable, unless you don't believe in facts. I was raised Catholic, it didn't stick. My parents were die hard Catholic, mother almost became a nun, yet after presenting FACTS, they are agnostic. My grandmother used to run around the house with holy water when storms were coming, we called her an idiot... well, she wasn't educated at all. You can believe what you want.

whybother likes this.
  8. Nixie

Gold Member

Not particating either, just weighing in on the semantics of the word "blind" in this context.

I think people sometimes use that word because of parts of the bible that say things like "assurance about what we do not see" (or whatever version of that verse people prefer to use):

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+11

Seriously, "blind" isn't necessarily an insult if that's the way you read that passage - that faith is the way in which you can be assured of something you can't see.

whybother likes this.
  9. Hottie6275

Verified Gold Member

Well Nixie, like I said, I hope there are women like you in the afterlife, if it exists. And I hope I find them!

whybother likes this.
  10. backcheck64

Gold Member

I'd be honored to lie next to you in a hole while worms crawl through our eye sockets. The end.

Nixie likes this.
  11. backcheck64

Gold Member

12. Mr_Blue

Gold Member

After this let's do Apple vs PC ;)

13. UncertaintyPrinciple

i predict only men will be debating this one. i have studied early theology extensively, im not christain. but i will not be engaging in a debate.

14. teamster145

Gold Member

I believe in the beginning God, some believe in the beginning dirt. I am fine with you believing that, however to say that life came from non life is proven or that one type of living thing morphed into other types is not proven. Science is knowledge, theories are unproven. I will not try and convince you to change. Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still. I am out.

whybother likes this.
  15. Mr_Blue

Gold Member

"I believe in God and can prove He exists!"
    "Oh yeah, well I think religion is nonsense and I can prove that!!!"

Yawn.... good luck y'all.

;)

10_3XL, teamster145, CLE32793 and 2 others like this.
  16. backcheck64

Gold Member

OK, PC over Apple. You can design and build you're own PC according to your needs and wants, Apple you're stuck with what they tell you you need. and forget gaming on Apple.

CLE32793 and whybother like this.
  17. Mr_Blue

Gold Member

I was joking; but if I wasn't that is a debate I'm even less inclined to join.

theBadBoy2 and whybother like this.
  18. theBadBoy2

Gold Member

I think you should start a thread...will be a nice,I vote for PC anyway

19. backcheck64

Gold Member

So was I.

Mr_Blue likes this.
  20. Mr_Blue

Gold Member

I am a professional photographer and I use a PC. Now THAT is heresy! Sorry. Thread jacking.

whybother likes this.