Religion

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by ducktales, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ducktales

ducktales New Member

Would you date/marry someone from a different religion?

Just a follow-up question: Do you feel like if you love someone enough then you would be able to look past any religious differences?

#1 ducktales, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

That's a very interesting question. I was just talking about this with good friend of mine. He has two brothers and one of them is married to a Mormon. He had to convert before he could marry her. His other brother is marrying a Jehovah's Witness in April and likewise, he had to convert. This means he'll have to adhere to the many rules of the Jehovah's Witness church or face being "un-fellowshipped." This could happen if he (among other things) celebrates Christmas, birthdays, runs for public office, votes, or otherwise participates in any political process. It works for some people but I swear Hitler had less rules when he was in charge of the Third Reich.

I, on the other hand, am atheist so the short answer is "no" or rather, "it depends." I could only marry a religious person if he was not really that active in his religion, and if he were willing to accept that he'd never be able to drag me to church and that I'd want nothing whatsoever to do with his or anyone else's religion.

My instincts tell me that it just wouldn't work.

3. Dreama

Gold Member

Yes, I'm pretty much within Puss's opinion. I'm agnostic, and am used to being able to do my own thing religiously, which has pretty much been nothing. I like it that way, and I wouldn't be willing to go to church or change my religious views for another person. I'm lucky that hubby is pretty much of the same opinion.

4. igor

Gold Member

Can't vote or be a politician? I never knew that.

My protestant mom married my dad who was raised Catholic. He had some issues with the church and eventually joined ours. It worked out fine.

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I know for sure that they can't run for any kind of public office but I'll ask my friend about the voting thing. I'm almost certain they can't do that either, though.

6. cbrmale

Gold Member

I believe you can, as long as you respect each others differences. I am agnostic, my wife is Christian, she goes to Church and has different beliefs to me. To some extent my agnosticism covers her beliefs in a broad context, but like most agnostics I believe that spirituality is much more complex than the relative simplicity of ritualistic Christianity.

Nonetheless our differences don't divide us; we both recognise we have different beliefs.

7. Wckd_Beauty

Wckd_Beauty New Member

It can happen. I'm not religious but my bofriend and his family are Baptist and it honestly does make me feel awkward to be around them because i'm afraid of their reaction, but he has no problem with my choice and I have no problem with his. We've been stable for almost 3 years without religion being a problem. He doesn't know how his parents would react either if they found out that i'm not religious, but as a couple we're fine. It doesn't pose a problem. I think it's because i'm very open to learning about new things, we'll talk about religion a bit, but it allows us to coexist since i'm open to learning and understanding things that are different to what I know. I think that makes it easier on a couple if both are open to new things.

8. Rocket Queen

Rocket Queen New Member

I think you can as long as you are BOTH easy going. I'm Wiccan and my hubby is an atheist. He leaves me to do my thing and I believe that he believes in nothing.... believing in nothing is still a belief!

If BOTH were hardcore religious zealots of two warring religions I doubt it would work.

9. cook74

Gold Member

My wife is Catholic, still going to Church but not as overzealous as some of her family, while I was brought up by non practicing Jews in a communist country so I am a strict atheist.

Some ideas about life clash but we are in love so if our baby needs to get baptized just to keep the inlaws happy, and my wife and I can avoid conflict, so be it. I am not fussed about others' beliefs.

If my daughter asks me about God after all that indoctrination...now that's a scary thought...:nerv

10. jackieizluv

jackieizluv New Member

Hmmm, I don't think it should affect my choice of man just as long as we understand each other on a deeper level than a simple sharing of religion could give us. I've been with men with a host of different beliefs and philosophies and as long as you are both mature about things, I really see no real problem in that aspect.

That said, I better get myself a boyfriend. =)