Religion and sex

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Texas_Red, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Texas_Red

Gold Member

So I was stumbling about the Internet as I am wont to do, and I came across this video: What guys think about modesty. I had to watch all of it, even though it just made me angry and unable to grasp the failure in general logic, because it's what I do. Perhaps I hoped it would turn out to be a joke, or maybe there would, at some point, be some sense. Alas, that did not happen.

I just don't really understand this. I imagine the writer would decry how Islam and the forcing of women to cover themselves is wrong, and yet he is basically calling for that. Making the exact same argument, that because he himself cannot control his urges, he needs his "fellow sisters" to clothe themselves more. This simply boggles me. To me this is just another example of how religion would simply usher us back into the dark ages, trying to herd us back into blissful ignorance. Frankly it disgusts me.

I don't begrudge anyone their beliefs. I've know folks of differing religions, and many are fine people who don't proselytize, and don't subscribe to such narrow-minded observations and such. I respect that different people will believe different things. But sometimes the WTF is too huge and misshapen to wrap your head around. :ugh

What are your thoughts?

2. backcheck64

Gold Member

I feel religion is for the weak, those that don't want to take responsiblity, instead of learning, "it's gods plan", "I can't control my self to all temptation has to be removed", I find it all BS. No guy in the sky is controlling your destiny, no evil forces, you are in control, your decisions are what determine your path, you're own self control is up to you. I nor anyone else should have to have any woman cover up to keep my urges in check. It's like the defense some of the rapist use, "she was dressed provacativly", bull shit, doesn't matter. If you can't control yourself under basicly any circumstance, you should be caged, not the rest of the world.

3. 33stack

Gold Member

yes yes. religion is for the weak. as a christian i tried to abstain from sex till marraige and keep that one and only sex partner for life. i was too strong for that as it turns out. :eyes

4. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

ok, that was... stupid beyond belief. Frankly I just want to hurt him for wanting to control women.
    I can't believe he is so stupid as to think that lust, sex, horniness and so on is wrong in any way.
    To be honest. i dearly hope he never have sex with any woman so his stupid genes wont be passed on.

Ok. maybe i raged a bit too much but damnit if he doesnt make my blood boil.

5. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Agreed with all of the above.
    Sex is my religion, I worship the vessel ;)

6. Trond

Gold Member

Must be difficult to be a "good Christian". I mean with all the struggling with imaginary problems (oh no, the "temptation"), as well as the real ones. I suppose they often ignore those pesky real problems. Jesus wept! :lol

7. 33stack

Gold Member

It's very difficult indeed. Not only denying instant gratification and certain urges, but also dealing with contempt and insults from nonbelievers while treating them in a kind christain manner takes an immense amount of discipline. Especially these days. :ugh

8. Texas_Red

Gold Member

33stack: so far you've only replied to others. Care to actually share your own thoughts on the video and what I said? I didn't make this thread to bash religion, but to speak on the specific issue. I'd like to hear your side of things.

9. Trond

Gold Member

It was a response to the self-righteous people in the video. If you treat others in a kind manner (Christian or not) you won't get any contempt from me.

10. 33stack

Gold Member

oh, just a guy showing appreciation to other christians(women)who dress in a conservative manner to make it a little easier to resist lust. not that he cant resist with out it , just makes it a little easier. and not to force anything on anybody. christianity is a choice. Jesus was big on free will so am i. i don't judge, and i support any and all free will. oh yeah, btw, the scripture does encourage us to proselytize.(sp?) i dont very much, but i dont shy away from it. myself? im just a weak sinner asking to be forgiven and trying not to hurt anyone. thanx for asking.:)

11. Alwayslearningsex

Gold Member

It comes down to say: "If men can't control themselves and respect women, let them be the ay they are and make women pay for it one way or another". The basis many religions is good, yet, what I have come to call it "man-made religion" is where it doesn't make any sense no matter what religion you come from, people fail, not the religion. The leaders and so-called holy men (holy shit is what it is) are the ones perpetuating this, and extremists ...... okay, let's stop here now.
    In a parallel incident a policeman in Canada recently made a comment women should not dress like sluts to prevent further attacks, assaults and rapes because men cannot / won't control themselves.
    The public backlash that followed, even the higher up distance themselves from the comments he made.

12. cbrmale

Gold Member

I know more about Islam up front and personal than most, from a long-term relationship with a lady in years gone by. The rule that forms the Islamic dress come from the Bible, and the same rule is shared with Christianity. The actual rule is that men and women should dress modestly, and men and women should always have their heads covered when in Church. In Islamic circles this is interpreted as anything from dressing modestly to the head veil (which I actually find quite attractive) through to the Niquab (Arabic) or Burka (Persian and Pushtan). In the latter two cases, these forms of female supression existed before Islam became the dominant religion in much the same fashion as female circumcision in West Africa predates Islamic beliefs (the Koran is very specific that men have a responsibility to sexually satisfy their wives, and clearly implies that this can only be achieved through female orgasm - which makes it much more sexually liberal than Paul's writings of celibacy in the New Testament).

I personally find the Niquab and the Burka to be demeaning, but I had no problems with the dress modestly code when I was in an Islamic country with an Islamic girlfriend (sort-of girlfriend).

It is a crying shame that most Islamic followers do not know the true nature of their beliefs, in much the same way the most Christians do not know either. This has led to most of the conflicts between the followers of these two religions. Educated Moslems do know, however, and they will be happy to explain to non-Moslems what it is all about.

There is no doubt, however, that Christianity is anti-sex. I am agnostic so I do not believe in Christianity any more than any other religion, but all a person has to do is read the letters of Paul which proclaim celibacy as pure (and therefore imply that a normal, sexually loving lifestyle is impure or perhaps sinful), to understand where the Christian obsessions about sex and pleasure comes from.

13. Trond

Gold Member

I personally think that they are all man-made, and they were all a bit screwy from the start, although you can find good things in religions as well. Same thing among religious people today. If you ask me, nothing magical happened at the start of each religion, and nothing fundamental really changed ever since, except in the details. Christianity was originally an offshoot sect of Judaism (which itself is old, but not quite as old as people like to think) just like the Mormons are a modern offshoot of Christianity. Buddhism was an offshoot of early Hinduism etc etc.

But don't let me ruin your day.... :eyes

14. nyxx

nyxx New Member

really? then you know its qur'an and muslim right?

i see where the guy is coming from that some girls dress pretty poorly. by now, you should be desentisized by it. they act like it hasn't been happening for the past 2 decades. either way, if you can't control yourself when you see a scantily clad woman, then its your own fault. god has nothing to do with it... but i'm not going to get into that crap.

15. cbrmale

Gold Member

Actually it's transliterated from arabic, so it can be spelt whichever way because transliteration means it 'sounds like' arabic in English. We transliterate a lot of languages, including Russian.

16. nyxx

nyxx New Member

thats for lazy people who would rather not learn a little bit of words to describe themselves. the last time i used 'sounds like' in my vocabulary was in kindergarten. anyway, you have twice the life experience as me, so you win.

17. cbrmale

Gold Member

This is how it works:

مرحبًا
    this arabic writing transliterates to marhaba (that arabic sounds like marhaba). This means 'hello'.

This Russian cyrillic пожалуйста sounds like 'pozhalujsta' means please.

18. lbushwalker

Gold Member

C'mon nyxx beat that :)

19. cbrmale

Gold Member

I speak basic Russian so that's how I know!

20. nyxx

nyxx New Member

ok... but whats your point? you 'transliterated' an arabic word into english phonetics correctly. my point was, koran is actually qur'an or quran when phonetically spelt... and moslem is muslim... my point was you said you knew more about islam then most and yet you don't know how to correctly spell the terminology. so again, what was the point of that example?