Regular Child Support After 14 Years Of Non-Payment? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kermit, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Kermit

Gold Member

Is there anyway for my wife and I to compel the biological father of her daughter to pay child support? He didn't pay a dime for the first 11 years of her life, and started after all that time to pay occasionally, 30-60 bucks every once in a while (i guess whenever he feels like it or is employed briefly) which is good but doesn't really help. He's never been any part of my step-daughter's life (she's only met him twice) and from what i hear he's drug addicted and probably why he can't hold a job. Maybe it's for bad reasons but we really need the money with our current income flow isn't cutting it. It'd be so nice if he could pay regularly to help out. We've talked about getting a lawyer but we cannot afford it, and even if we could we're worried that it would just make our financial situation worse if we lose the case due to whatever technical language of the law since they were never married and the pregnancy was due to late teenage indiscretions in a troubled part of her life.

#1 Kermit, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. dukefan

dukefan New Member

Hey, in most if not all states you don't need an attorney to pursue child support. First step will be to contact your states child support enforcement agency. Then you will have to establish paternity. Once all that is done the state will take over. Big or huge thing is just because there is an order doesn't mean he will pay it.

I wish you luck, but if he's never paid before I wouldn't expect much unless jail really scares him. My wife and I deal with our own "donor" and know how you feel

3. Meee

Gold Member

4. Kermit

Gold Member

Well he's paid, every once in a while over three years, but far from regular

5. dukefan

dukefan New Member

Was it court ordered support? If it was then the first steps have already been done and y'all should have a case worker. Its usually throught the department of social services.

6. backcheck64

Gold Member

IF it was court ordered, you can get the state to go after every dime, garnish wages, tax refunds... I know one guy that after 5 yrs did time in jail.

7. Kermit

Gold Member

Yeah, tha'ts what we wonder, if he'd just end up in jail and we'd never see the money. My wife worked with a woman whose ex quit his job cause Child Support took it all, he refused to support kids he wasn't allowed ot see

8. nurseharley

Gold Member

Good luck. My dad was ordered a looooong time ago to pay child support but he still owes me about 60,000. There really isn't a way to make someone pay, they can be ordered but that doesnt guarantee a thing.

I know some people automatically have it taken out of their paycheck every month, not sure how that works though

9. SlavetoRaul

SlavetoRaul New Member

Through the state you live in, through the child support division. And prepare for a long wait-ALL states are bac k logged w/ non supporting parents. The SOONER you actually file, the sooner you will see a result. It takes AWHILE. DONT BE EMBARRASSED. He's counted on your wife NOT filibg on him. It took abt 18 months of court, blood draws, and paperwrk b4 we saw any $. Show the child that YOU are doing what is right and lawful.