Random Question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

So, I have this friend. She's a good friend. She's a senior in HS.

At that same district, I work as a computer technician. I was just curious... we're not dating, or any immediate plans of it, but from a curiosity standpoint of me not being a teacher, however, being in a school district, I was wondering if that would typically be allowed in public schools or if it would typically be frowned upon?

I have literally no contact with students, and my schools I'm assigned to are not the high school, where she is at.

Just a random question...

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Since you don't actually work at her school, I think that as long as she's at least eighteen then it's perfectly okay for the two of you to do whatever you want. Assuming it's okay with her parents, of course.

3. *Sexual Panda*

*Sexual Panda* New Member

ITA with Puss in this situation! If she isnt 18 yet wait till she is so you dont wind up in real trouble BUT yea if she is 18 not much anyone can do to either one of you!

4. sexyJ

sexyJ New Member

being as It is the same district I think it might not be accepted...Alot of times you get a handbook with your job, you may want to look threw that if you got one to see if there are any rules on it.

5. Jayce

Gold Member

I did go through it. All I can find are tobacco use, drug use, and sexual harassment. I looked through everything.

And she's 18.

6. specialK247

specialK247 New Member

hmm. i think its frowned upon to have sexual contact with any student if you work in the school setting even at other districts.

7. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

I don't see the big deal about it. If you like each other and are both of age should say anything?

8. Jayce

Gold Member

I'm not talking from a sexual standpoint. I'm just making a general conversation here with a situation I would be looking at if things took off in a certain direction.

She goes to HS. She's 18. My office is in the high school, but I spend about 10 minutes a day there. I manage 3 other schools within the district, so I am at those 3 schools 98% of the time.

She's a student.
    I am not a teacher.
    I am a computer technician.

I just wasn't sure from a staff/student perspective how it was looked at, despite her and I both being 18+ and whatnot. Plus the fact there isn't anything in the handbook makes me think it doesn't really matter. After all, I'm surprised how many married couples work at the district. Granted, that's staff/staff, not student/staff, but still...

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Since you're not in a position of authority over her ( i.e.: a teacher) and she's eighteen, then it should be perfectly alright to talk to her or even cultivate a relationship with her.

10. Jayce

Gold Member

Here's another curve ball that makes me want to flip off the system if her and I ever hook up.

I've been close friends with her for the last year and a half.

I got my job two months ago.

I had no idea I'd end up working where I am, which happens to be her school. I should be grandfathered into the rules, damnit!

11. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Just tread carefully, Jayce. The news is full of people associated romantically through the educational system that get in trouble. The world still sometimes has not caught up with the rest of "us". I agree with the others. If she is 18, game on. Just don't jeopardize your career......

12. heelfetish

Gold Member

Similar situation with me and my wife when we first met. I too am a computer tech/network admin, and work for a College. When I met the woman who would later become my wife, she was about to become a student at the college I worked for. She would attend a different campus that I worked in, but I too had the same fear. We were both of-age (Me 21, her 19), but I still wad a slight worry.

We went ahead anyway, and the rest is history. But there's something to be said for taking caution in this area. HS is different than college. And even though you aren't in a position of authority, the media can twist things around enough to make life hell for you should someone object to the relationship. :(

13. sexyJ

sexyJ New Member

I would just be careful...

14. Jayce

Gold Member

Yeah, if anything happens I don't plan to be running my mouth. But I'm just saying from a mature standpoint, if the relationship would come about and be handled in a mature manner, if the school would still bitch. It's one thing if we would get caught doing something on grounds, but if I'm not even making contact with her and the simple fact remains that we are both under the same roof/district, then I'm curious to know what the stance would be on it.

15. sexyJ

sexyJ New Member

I think worse case you would loose your job! She is legal so I think that there really wouldnt be any issues there. Is she just entering her senior year?

16. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Sexy and knowledgeable! :bow:bow

17. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Looking at your profile I see that you have a college education, which means you're at least four years older than her? That's not that big of a deal, but if you're much older than that I'll be betting that it'll be frowned upon.

Even if it's not against the rules, if her parents didn't like it and raised enough of a fuss then you might get into trouble.

18. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Dude ... Jayce ... I don't need to read about you on fark.com ... so please ... be very very very careful.

19. Jayce

Gold Member

Hahahaha, her parents love me. Me and her brother have been friends for about 8 years now. We (as a big group) went to the beach this summer and there were a couple shots of just her and I leaning in for a picture, and her mom kept harking on how good we looked together. I'm sure, in this case at least, parents wouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I'm 4 years older than her. I'm young for my grade and she's old for her grade, but even still it leaves me with college and she's just behind me. It's weird, though. I don't feel as though there's any difference between us. To me, the only thing is, she can't get into a bar with me. Besides that, everything is just on the same page. Know what I mean?

20. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Dude, I agree with most others....4 years older isn't really that much, especially if she's on the same level of emotional maturity as you are. If any relationship more than friendship happens to blossum, then I'd just suggest that you keep it totally discreet within the school. You can do whatever away from school (given everyone with a vested interest is OK with it), but within school kinda pretend you barely know each other. With me? No one will B&M if they don't know anything's going on. ;)