Random Acts Of Kindness

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kermit, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Kermit

Gold Member

they're good for the soul and a lot more legal than Random Acts Of Violence. I remember a teacher once telling me about that concept once, going a bit above and beyond decency.

My neighbor and I were playing scrabble and we both got up to smoke and had noticed for a while someone was moving in. It was starting to rain so i put on my hat and decided to help them and i spent like 2 hours(?) hauling boxes and furniture for them. At one point it was pouring as i was carrying some from the moving van. It killed my back but was worth it :).. I had a spare stuffed animal ("club" the baby seal) and i gave it to the little girl who had moved in when all the stuff was nearly done, at the end they thanked me as it was wearing them out and wasn't sure if it would all get moved.

2. RideNaked2

Gold Member

That was so nice Kermit.

I truly believe in random acts of kindness. I try to do something everyday for someone. Even if it is something little that doesn't seem like anything. For example, giving someone an over due phone call, (here on SF) I will visit one of my friends walls and just say HI...little stuff like that. :)

If I can make one person smile each day then it's a GREAT day.

3. KindDiscoGirl

KindDiscoGirl New Member

Whenever I'm feeling on the downside, I'll do this...

Dangit...I haven't posted a pic here. :( :kicksdirt

dangit. the image info is coming up as a jpeg. that is why it won't post. :mad

[​IMG]

#3 KindDiscoGirl, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  4. OverSinged

Gold Member

Not in reality, sometimes if I'm in a fey mood I'll do something helpful to a random person in a game, but those moods are few and far between. I usually don't except it either, paranoia or something, I don't like having debts, even small ones.

5. Kermit

Gold Member

Me neither i abhor debt, my wife on the other hand adored it, saw it as free money

6. AHappyWife

AHappyWife New Member

I donated most of the contents of our basement to Goddwill instead of selling the stuff. I like letting people have the right of way. Not really a RAOK though. I send envelopes full of coupons to people who need them.

This is a lovely thread. Thank you for starting it.

7. AHappyWife

AHappyWife New Member

I donated most of the contents of our basement to Goodwill instead of selling the stuff. I like letting people have the right of way. Not really a RAOK though. I send envelopes full of coupons to people who need them.

This is a lovely thread. Thank you for starting it.

8. LilBAM

Gold Member

I think the clearest example for me was back in December, right before Christmas. I was closing one night at Subway, and about 5 minutes before we closed, a man comes in, and he looks poor, homeless, and desperate. All he wanted was something to eat, and he said he had traveled a long way, and no one would give him food.

Something in my gut told me he wasn't trying to trick me, and he really was desperate for food, water, anything. I asked him what he wanted, he pointed to what he wanted(chicken teriyaki), I made him his sandwich, and since he had no money, I paid for it myself and gave him a cup for water. He shook my hand, told me "thank you" quietly, ate his sandwich, then left.

I don't know for sure if he was homeless, but I believe he was. I don't regret a thing. It's one of those moments that really puts life in perspective.

9. Kermit

Gold Member

I've done that before at Mapco for a homeless guy, and it was in full view of customers and one woman bought him a hot dog.

10. mikeh

mikeh New Member

I'm a firm believer in helping others. The reward is in the deed itself. Which is fortunate as good things rarely happen to good people.

Which is another of my theories. Bad things happen to those who can handle it, not those who deserve it.

Or in other words, Karma is a load of bollocks!

11. Kermit

Gold Member

I once met a chick in the store. She had just left her abusive bf. She had been beaten and sleep deprived and was on the streets. We talked for a bit and later i said "if you can stick round til 6AM you can come back with me and i'll fix you breakfast and give you a place to stay til you can make other arrangements." She was like "what do you want in return!?!?" i guess trying to find out what i'm after. Perhaps she's trying to figure out if i am expecting sex or something, not really sure. I told her bluntly "don't steal my shit." Nevermade the breakfast cause within five minutes she was asleep, she had a good long overdue sleep and it was wonderful :)