Question

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by RainbowMuncher, Jun 2, 2007.

1. RainbowMuncher

Why are a lot of religious people so close minded when it comes to sex? My family is annoying..>< they all sleep around and talk crap but..if I wanted to be with a girl..they'd most likely kick me out and shun me..and disown me.. lol..its so strange..>< my stepdad is a homophobic..which is just sad.. im sorry.. someone needs to slap him lol and my sister is a total slut while my mom wishes she could be like my sister..o.o whcih is sad..lol..>< they are all crazy..anyway.. why do people do that? Do they truly think that they can pick and choose things that they want to follow out of their religion? "God will forgive me so long as I ask for it every time after I sleep with a stranger.."?

2. smoke

smoke New Member

i really hope nobody takes offense to this but i am not a religious person at all and i just see it as a way to make people live in fear of going to hell.

3. skippy0587

skippy0587 New Member

Well, I am a religious person as in I believe in God. I am not at all offended by your post either because it is dead on with how a lot of Christians feel. Christianity is such a tainted community. The logic that I have seem to notice that a lot of Christians have is this...well when I sin I will be forgiven, but oh my they just sinned, they are sinners, burn in hell sinners.

It seems some people expect the grace of God given to them but not necessarily to others. According to scripture there are no sins greater than another, therefore you choosing to live your life as a lesbian MIGHT be a sin, but then again so is sleeping with random people.

Reason for the MIGHT: According to the book of Leviticus, it tells us that we are not supposed to eat a lot of meats that are very common place today. So why it is that people can overlook this and not overlook some very hard to interpret text about homosexuality. It's all just about whatever suits the person best.

4. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

There is no scripture in roman catholic religion that says all sins are the same.
    and it isnt meant as a way to put you into hell, its there as a way to help keep people in a way to be kind to each other, it isnt the religions fault that people see what they want from it and make accusations that are based on a biest view of them.

Im not religeos at all, but i do totaly hate closed minded people slagging them down with their tainted view .

There are meant to be moral sin and mortal sin.
    Their view isnt you will go to hell, they believe if you are sincere in your wanting forgiveness then god will accept and forgive, but being as they see god as all seeing and knowing then he will know if you are sincere about it. sex also isnt seen as something dirty disgusting vile and will go to hell for, again thats people with tainted one sided views , who know little or nothing about the true ideals of the religeon.
    sex is seen as something that should be done in a loving relationship between 2 married people. condoms are seen as wrong as they overt from a birth a human life.

Me i see sex as something special, something to be savoured and not abused.
    hetro, bisexual, homosexual lesbian theres nothing wrong with any of these in my view. as long as no one is being hurt or abused or used then wheres the problem ?
    sex doesnt know what gender is.

5. skippy0587

skippy0587 New Member

Well, as far as I know from what I've been taught and read myself, the only sin that is a mortal sin is not accepting Christ as your personal savior aside from that all other sins are capable of being forgiven therefore are no worse than the other. Who are we to judge what is worse than something else? Obviously there are things that based on our society seem more wrong than others... i.e. murder is worse than cursing.

6. elphie

elphie New Member

But surely people can be kind to each other without following a religion? I am sexually active while not being married (many roman catholics view that as being sinful) yet I worship God and Jesus as a Christian and think that I am a good and kind person. Religion now is far different to what it was in the time of Jesus. Religion is now an excuse for people to be mean to each other, and an excuse for war. I have no problem with faith, I have a problem with what churches promote and the way religion has been twisted by them. Particularly the Roman Catholic Church, but that's just me.

7. igor

Gold Member

It's not just the Catholic church that says sex between unmarrieds is sinful. Any Christian religion believes the same thing. I do agree that certain religions have their own ideas as to what is wrong/right. For example, in certain groups, clergy are forbidden to marry. What is the biblical basis for that? (Yes, according to Paul in Corinthians, a guy is more pure if he doesn't marry but says it is better to marry than lust in sin). Another is this matter of birth control, which is NOT forbidden in the bible.

8. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I dont know where you have been reading or learning, but a mortal sin is not believing in god, thats not seen as a sin, you either do or you dont.
    Rc's wont see you as a sinner for not, as they on the whole are not out to force you to be into a religion at all.

Mortal sin would be to kill someone or to rape another person and such.

9. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

As i said im not religious but i like to think im kind towards people, but you have to remember how old the religion is around 2000 years old.
    people back then were not as kind as they are now so i think religeon was bouht in as a way to govern people to make them be kind to give them hope and something to have a deep sense of faith in.

Now adays a lot more peole have these sort of values but do not follow a religeon, but in retrospect these values in ways have come around due to these religeons.

To give a rough idea of how hated the roman catholic relieon is world wide.....pope john paul the second died, and people of all religeons around the entire globe morned his passing, preists ( or what ever they are called in their seperate faiths ) came and paid homage to him, because they knew he was a good kind peaceful man..he did a lot of good for the world , he spoke many diffrent languages and put his life on the line on many occasions .
    so its not the bad evil people that follow this faith.

10. skippy0587

skippy0587 New Member

What do you mean by mortal sin then? A sin that will condemn you to hell? Because there is no sin that cannot be forgiven by God if we ask for forgiveness. So long as you have accepted Christ as your savior. (Christian views)

Also you say that it is the Roman Catholic views that sex is not a bad thing between wedded couples and that the reason condoms are bad is because they obstruct pro creation. Well after talking to a very involved RC friend of mine, he informed me that sex is to be performed between married couples to pro-create. Not for recreation and fun...that is why contraceptives are viewed as wrong in the RC faith, because they allow for sex without the purpose of pro-creation. This comes from a friend who has been actively involved in his Roman Catholic church for as long as I have none him which is about 10 years now.

So due to this, I am having trouble accepting your ideas on the mortal sin thing.

And also, I have been reading from the Bible, in versions consisting of the NIV (New International Version), and NLT ( New Living Translation). I'm not a perfect Christian as sex is a temptation that has gotten the better of me, but I have done a lot of reading and studying of the Word. RC's, and as far as I know, all Bible based Christian sects, believe that being a non-believer is a sin... a sin that condemns you to hell. If hell only existed for believers then why believe, you run a risk of "losing". Individual people may not feel that way, but I feel very confident in saying that Christianity as a whole holds to the ideals that being a believer is the only way to get to heaven. Sins are forgivable if you have accepted Christ.

Now, there are certainly topics on which I am probably not very qualified to talk on, and this might be one. I guess I really can't speak for an entire body of people, so these opinions might be wrong, but then again, maybe not.

11. skippy0587

skippy0587 New Member

So I did some more research on the RC's belief on mortal sin...

mortal sin is any deliberate sin against God.

This includes:
    drunkeness
    atheism
    hatred
    envy
    homosexuality
    rape
    murder
    idolatry

pretty much any conceivable sin was on this list...

so I guess it's just a matter of what is defined as mortal sin

12. RainbowMuncher

See, it would be so much better if more Christian actually thought like you do. My mom stopped going to church because all of them would gossip about her (not that i'm being prejudice or anything, its just that it seems alot of them tend to shun others rather quickly.) it is nice to find those who truly follow their religion and are open-minded towards others. <3 Thank you

13. Slick2

Slick2 New Member

I absolutely agree with you. I think the whole issue of sex is taken too seriously in that sense. But granted not all people who are religious think this way, my boyfriend is catholic and we go at it like rabbits :lol

But it really is beyond me why is such a taboo in religious communitys, like maybe it's stupid of me to say that lust being one of the deadly sins is foolish. Because if "god" is the one who created us then why did he give us the emotion (if you will) of lust.

Just to clarify I'm not against anyone who is religious, AT ALL. :) :)

14. RainbowMuncher

What really pisses me off is.. the government being so close minded.. I mean.. making same sex marriages ILLEGAL is just..>< too far. I don't care if society disagrees.. They don't HAVE to go to the wedding or even approve.. It's a choice between two people who love each other and that's all that should matter.. I can't believe a law like that would be passed..

15. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

your friend could be correct, my info only comes from a 60 year old who has been a member of the rc faith since childhood, that has also been a deacon for 8 years, who did a 3 year course of exams to become one, so as i said perhaps your friend is correct, im only going by what this person has always tried to teach me.

It could be that maybe the bishop that made him a decon perhaps didnt quite understand his faith. stranger things have happened :).

16. RainbowMuncher

I'm just so used to being shunned by my family because of their religious believes..heh.. I try to keep an open mind as much as possible and I'm surrounded by a bunch of close-minded people.

17. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Maybe you should find yourself some open minded friedns that you can open up with emotionaly that will comfort you rather than ridicule you.

18. skippy0587

skippy0587 New Member

now this i completely agree with. That is exactly what you need. Good call Kronnie.

19. RainbowMuncher

small town..all think im a whore because some rumors freshman year..<.< all seem pretty close minded to believe that

20. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

That sux big time, i dont know American at all really, but i always thought cali was a massive state....

Well just so you know your family sound rather 2 faced about things on the sexual front...maybe Europe is more open on sex than America. because most people i have come across are mostly free mentaly about sex.