Question About Oral Sex

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Ill-Lyricist, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ill-Lyricist

Ill-Lyricist New Member

Hi Everyone..I'm New To This Site And Was Curious On What Is The Difference Between Herpes And A Blister Because My Girl And I Lost Our Virginities To Eachother About a Year Ago And Just Started Doing Oral Sex...We Have Done It At Least 15 Times Or More But 2 Times She Has Gotten Something On Her Lip That Resembles A Cold Sore...It's Kinda Scabby In A Way..And I Wasn't Sure What It Was? I Never Had Sex With Anyone But Her And She Hasn't Either...Is There Any Way That She Could Have Caught Herpes From Giving Me Oral? Or Is It Just A Blister???
    Somebody Please Help!

2. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

There are different types of herpes viruses. My understanding is that cold sores are a type different from genital herpes. She would have caught it from some other means. I have known of sexually celibate people (no sex) getting cold sores like your girlfriends. They usually go away after a while. I would just suggest not kissing her on her lip while it is active and not having oral sex while it is active. Her physician may be able to give her a salve which will help heal it up more quickly. As long as you are faithful to each other, you are at extremely low risk or even no risk of getting STDs (I have read that genital herpes can be contracted if, for example, you get in a hot tub where someone with herpes has been in there and the hot tub is not appropriately cleaned and so forth but that is not the sort of herpes your girlfriend has on her lip). Some of our more medical people will probably comment on this too.

3. cbrmale

Gold Member

About 70% of the adult population has HSV-1 (cold sores) and 90% carry the antibodies, which means they have been exposed to it. HSV-1 is in the body for life, and typically re-appears when the person is physically run-down or stressed in some way. If she had the virus before she met you, which is the most likely scenario, then it has nothing to do with her giving you oral sex. However, she can now give you HSV-1 on your genitals.

This is not as bad as it sounds, HSV-1 reappears on lips (as you have noticed) from time to time, but if transmitted to genitals during oral sex, it will happen once and then rarely or never thereafter. The first time is bad, you get really sick! Then, nothing.

To avoid catching HSV-1 from her, minimise oral-sexual contact when she has active cold sores, indeed minimise kissing too (sorry to say). There are medications you can get from chemists to heal the sores quicker, and I suggest you encourage your girlfriend to use them for both of you.

4. Elvis

Elvis Member

My suggestion is check with a GP if you're worried.

An internet forum isn't really the best place to ask for medical advice!

5. dude12345

dude12345 New Member

i must say i dont know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.