Pussy Cats

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FlirtyChick, Mar 26, 2010.

1. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Naughty peeps, I mean the animals!

My 7yo daughter wants a cat. Out dog died about a month ago (he lived at her dad's), and now she wants a kitten to cuddle and play and sleep with. We have a guinea pig, but she wants this additional pet. I don't mind cats, as long as they don't walk on my kitchen counters or dining room table, but I am a dog person at heart. I know that a cat is less maintenance than a canine, and I know I cannot afford nor give the time a pup needs to be in a healthy environment. Opinions? I wouldn't mind a moving thing around here when my girlie is not at my house.....the guinea pig is not the most affectionate animal, but is fun....

Advice?

2. HardRocker

Gold Member

We've never had a problem training the cats to stay off of the tables and counters, ss long as they learn early. They don't even do it when we're away. Ours are indoor/outdoor, so no litter box. The female eats inside and sleeps with us in the cold weather. The male eats and lives outside, but he's not completely tame. He's also a retard.

Males are more affectionate and will sit on everybody's lap, while females are more aloof and will bond with fewer people. I like the females, because they have more personality. They get pretty smart with age, but are intelligent in different ways than dogs. Adult cats do know what you're talking about, even if they don't let on to it.

3. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Good advice. We need a male if my dd wants affection. There is no outdoor option for us. How did you train them to stay off stuff. Also, do they tear up the furniture? What prevents that. You are a godsend.

4. HardRocker

Gold Member

Get a scratching post and they will use it, but some cats are worse than others about furniture. I think the females are more trainable that way. A squirt gun is good for training. So is a rolled up single sheet of newspaper. You can whop the shit out of them and it won't hurt, but they get the message. After they get bigger, they'll take the paper out of your hand though. Cats are fast moving litle fuckers.

5. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

So after we adopt the cat, we will trek over to wal mart for a super soaker! LOL I see destruction about the house! Thanks alot sweetie! Cats sound untamable like men, and just as wild :D

6. Northside

Gold Member

My daughter brought home a 3 week old kitten that was born in the bushes by her friends house when she was 10. His mother wouldn't feed him. I didn't like cats and told my daughter if he was any problem he'd have to go. He took to the litterbox immediately. The only problem with him was he killed all my plants in the house when he was young. I had him neutered at six months old. He is also an indoor/outdoor cat. He never tore up anything but those plants. Get a scratching post. 15 years later my daughter has moved on, but the cat is still my buddy sleeping on the afghan on the end of my bed each night. He's getting old and isn't in good health anymore, but I am so glad we saved that little guy. He has been such a wonderful friend around here, and I can't express the love I have for him.

7. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Awwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Barbwire

Gold Member

So, did ya ever get G a kitty?

9. luvbug

Gold Member

I have a female indoor cat...shes a psycho bitch!! She didnt get that way until we got her fixed.lol
    She didnt like the scratching post...she prefers the reliner and couch arm...my hubby can just say her name and she hauls ass!! lol
    Plus we have an outside dog. Hes still a pup...but the other one we had we had to euthenize him in June..broke my heart. We love dogs and cats. Im sure your daughter will love her cat.

10. igor

Gold Member

Our cat is now 11 years old. Got her as a small kitten. She has been neutered and front declawed (inside cat only). She and the dog are the same age and they are like siblings - play well together. If the cat will stay inside I recommend having it declawed - no tearing up furniture.

11. Meee

Gold Member

People used to think cats were gods. Now we know they're solar collectors too.

(My first post! And definitely a sign about how useful my posts are likely to be. :p )

12. HardRocker

Gold Member

Hey, congratulations on your first post. I was posting a visitor message to you asking if you were going to post. Apparently at the same time you were posting this.:D

13. Mittimer

Gold Member

I have 8 cats, yes 8.
    3 cats are about 5 years old, 3 cats are 1 1/2 years old and, 1 cat is 2 years old and 1 kitteh is 18 weeks old. :)

They are the furry little loves of my life. All indoor, they don't scratch on furniture (other then the baby sometimes) they use the litter boxes BUT they do like to jump up on the table if it's feeding time and I'm dosing out their wet food. It only takes a "HYDROX DOWN!" and she's down.

<3