Pua techniques??

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by Mestizomad, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Mestizomad

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Hi,

I am not part of ten Pick Up Artist community. But I have heard of it and read about it with some amusement and intrigue.

What do you Guys and Girls think of the whole PUA thing and all these guys who claim to know the formualaic approach to wining over woman.

Has anyone ever taken part in this, witnesss it or fallen victim to it?

Discuss :)

sensless likes this.
  2. Sagittarius84

Gold Member

I see it as a sad cry for help. Im also not sure which is sadder; the fact that dudes subscribe to this ideology, or that there are are actually enough women out there whom can be taken in by such tactics.

I will say however, as much as I scoff at the crowd as a petulant bunch of manchildren, I do think the motivation behind their methods does come from a genuine place of loneliness and social ostracism. I don't think PUA-ville is a good method to pick up women, but I think it's an excellent projection of the ingrained insecurities of men.

BeBop, sankay, sensless and 3 others like this.
  3. MrRam65

Gold Member

tenor.gif

bQwwBN7.gif

Mestizomad and longdong03 like this.
  4. MariaMaria

Gold Member

I was just going to call them sad douchebags, but this sounds more...poetic:
    :D

I think their behavior comes from lack of self-esteem, which they try to hide by creating this fictitious persona. I wonder how soon it bites them in the ass.

BeBop, sensless, Mestizomad and 2 others like this.
  5. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I had never heard of it. I'm curious and I'll google it.

6. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Don't! You'll lose faith in humankind!

Recooter and sensless like this.
  7. Sagittarius84

Gold Member

Lol, it's kind of a pendulum swing..keep in mind just being an employed man was enough to attract a man up until very recently so it's ironic to see these men start adopting the similar peacocking and deceptive tactics that had been peddled to women up until very recently. But as I said before, from all the malarkey does spring a grain of tragic social truth that should be addressed; albeit in a much healthier and less misogynist manner.

8. Mestizomad

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    To me it looks like these PUA guys prey on frankly not very intelligent females.

I find it hard to believe any person would fall for techniques such as Peacocking and some of the shit cheesy lines that they come out with.

9. MariaMaria

Gold Member

Just googled peacocking. One of the definitions from urban dictionary:

:D

Mestizomad, BeBop, fbbg and 2 others like this.
  10. Mikeylicksit

Gold Member

Now that sounds like fun!

MariaMaria likes this.
  11. still.up

Gold Member

The pull of the "technique" encourages wanna be swordsmen to have the courage to approach more women with some ready-made comments and responses handy. To some extent at least, their success becomes a numbers game. Get more at bats, you get more hits.

MariaMaria likes this.
  12. Sagittarius84

Gold Member

To any members outside of the US, is PUA a popular thing where you reside? I think we have some cultural and social specific paradigms that foster such agendas on much wider scale than some other places in the world. Im curious specifically about Australia, Europe, and Canada.

13. lbushwalker

Gold Member

I thought a PUA was a potentially unsuitable application!

sensless and BeBop like this.
  14. BeBop

Gold Member

From what I've seen firsthand and what I've heard/read it boils down to one simple thing:

Pick Up "Artists" do not value their "targets" for anything other than how they can benefit at the expense of the "target" (usually in a purely sexual context).

I don't see how you could reconcile yourself on a moral level with being such an individual... then again, I'm not a sociopath nor am I on the developmental level of a misogynistic 14-year-old. And, yes, I am absolutely passing judgment here.

Mestizomad and Sagittarius84 like this.
  15. Sagittarius84

Gold Member

I feel you, there is definitely a sociopathic edge to the PUA way, but again, understand from many of their respective perspectives they are simply doing to women sexually how they feel women see them, as targets there for social and economic benefit. The sad poignant truth is many of these men do not feel valued on any level, do not feel desired, and thus feel the need to have to resort to psychological trickery to create a façade in which a woman will express interest.
    But to be fair I separate the PUA into two factions: the entitled and the undesired. The former is a lost cause, the modern day equivalence of cavemen bashing the hottest cavewoman they find just because they can, and feeling as if it is their gender birthright to do so. The latter, I think are at the end of their ropes and are seeking to usurp a social paradigm that seems gamed against them. I think they are more than salvageable, but need help in seeing their inherent value...that's the hard part.

BeBop and Mestizomad like this.
  16. BeBop

Gold Member

And that brings about an interesting discussion all its own: That this isn't all negative behaviour exhibited solely by the PUA guys. There are also all the "Nice Guys" and other demographics of men who fall into the entitlement trap or desperate measures approach. That mentality of, "I have done X, now you owe me Y." I don't think that any of them - not even the Neanderthals among them - who are irredeemable or beyond help, but until someone realizes that they are in error and need to change their ways... Well, there's no helping them until they arrive at that point. Unfortunately, not many of them arrive at that conclusion until well past the juncture at which they should have arrived there.

sensless likes this.