Prom Babies

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Princess_Olga, May 9, 2007.

1. Princess_Olga

Princess_Olga New Member

If this needs to be moved, go ahead.

Has anyone heard of the recent Dear Abby letter from a father who had just learned that there was a such thing as a "prom baby"-- the result of high school girls purposefully getting knocked up on prom night so they wouldn't have to deal with the stress of college?

These girls apparently were very successful, good students, some were heading to Ivy League colleges, and just because they were scared about the change, decided that taking care of a kid for 18 years would be less stressful. That pissed me off so much.

Thoughts?

2. Bluesy

Gold Member

Eesh, I've never heard of this phenomenon before. That is really tragic :( How can any girl with so much smarts not fully comprehend the consequences of getting preggers so young? How is she going to support herself and the baby? If that seems like the less stressful option, these girls must be feeling undue pressure to succeed in life. Something is terribly wrong here.

3. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I may get told off here ...

But I think that the first few years for them with their baby as a single parent will put far more extrem pressure on them, than a few years of university ever would...and then add to that the extra 14 years or so ....they will be 36 whe ntheir child maybe leaves home , they will have maybe been looking after their child and not being able to increase their education or job prospects, so at 36 , i am wondering just what they will be thinking, as i knowa few females from my past that did simular things, they dived into marriage got pregnant asap, and later wished they had improved their job prospects or gone to uni...

4. miss mary

miss mary New Member

this doesn't sound like a true phenomenon to me. more like a father hearing a rumor and worrying about his daughter. i'm skeptical about these things. everyone who i knew growing up couldn't wait to get out of the house and off to college.

if you want to post some evidence to back it up go ahead.

5. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

6. sexaholic

sexaholic New Member

I study this 'field' professionally, and I've got to say I've never heard of this phenomenon.

7. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I have no idea if it goes on or not....but i remember when i was at school all those decades ago :p..

that some females would get pregnant, to get themselves out of the family home to get a council place given to them...so it doesnt seem so far fetched to believe that a few females would get pregnant to ditch the pressure of uni, ( you can be a very intelligent person, and still be very niaeve about life )

8. miss mary

miss mary New Member

thanks for the link kronnie. it still sounds far fetched - i don't believe everything i read.

and in the states i think many young mothers end up living with their (or the father's) parents as they can't afford their own place (i don't know what a council place is but we definitely don't have anything similar) so that motivation isn't there

9. Dreama

Gold Member

All I have to say is, University has gotta be far less stressful than having a baby....But, if someone is going to do something, there isn't much you can do to stop that person. If they do have a kid, lesson learned.

10. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Sounds like an urban legend to me. I mean this might have happened to one girl and the excuse she used was that she deliberately got pregnant because she want to deal with the stress of college, which seems like a pure bullshit excuse to me. She obviously got pregnant by accident and came up with that idea to make her parents feel better...or something: "I'd rather spend the next twenty years raising a kid than get a degree from an prestigious Ivy League school."

Whatever.

11. Sexy Scholar

Sexy Scholar New Member

Exactly.

Besides, it isn't even plausible. If every single prom student had unprotected sex on prom night, only a very small portion would become pregnant, reflecting the very small likelihood from getting pregnant from having sex at any given time. If this kind of thing exists, it would not be restricted to prom night.

Also, the whole concept seems to remove women's agency from the start, suggesting that she doesn't want to go to college but has to do something drastic to get out of it.

12. miss mary

miss mary New Member

ahh puss urban legend that's the word for it.

too many things are fishy about this guy's letter. his daughter and her friends have this conversation in front of him - unlikely. girls who are not only smart but athletes - who tend to have a high self confidence - do this crazy thing. and finally, the fact that they were both going to Ivy League schools is just a cliche. for those outside the States who might not know, there are many very good schools where you can get a great education, including about 25 which are on the same level as Ivy League (Duke, University of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, Stanford, Northwestern, etc.) and only 7 Ivy League schools - with more famous names. that detail makes the whole thing even less believable.

ok now that we all agree i promise to let this thread die :)

13. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Only after I post a list of the actually eight Ivy League schools:

1. Harvard
    2. Princeton
    3. Yale
    5. Dartmouth
    5. Brown
    6. Cornell
    7. Columbia
    8. University of Pennsylvania aka Penn

14. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

well i wasnt meaning i believed it, just that it could be possible....watching some of these chat shows on Tv...it is astonishing how some females at 13 and 14 want to have babies to have soeone to love , and have no idea how much stress is involved.

15. LaVitaDolce

LaVitaDolce New Member

I've never heard of it.

16. Princess_Olga

Princess_Olga New Member

I don't think this is a common thing..but I do believe that at least several thousand girls in the US every year will do something like this. Maybe they feel their parents are pressuring them into a certain field, or they feel pressured to go to a certain school...I do know that children nowadays are under so much more pressure to succeed than decades ago. This letter (which I think is true even if it's hard to believe teenage girls would talk so casually when someone's father is in earshot) I think shows a mindset that I hate seeing in girls...they just go to an extreme "solution" instead of taking the other option that would require being upfront. Instead of approaching their parents, or talking to a counselor about why they are afraid of college, they go get themselves pregnant (and think of what this might do to the unsuspecting father-to-be's life). Sure, it may be difficult to stand up to your parents and say "I don't want to go to blahblah University" or say "I'm scared of the stress", but it'd be so much mroe difficult to figure out how to raise a child and to deal with the dissapointment from your family.

17. Princess_Olga

Princess_Olga New Member

oh and, Miss Mary, I do agree that girls who are successful and athletic do have high self confidence, but they are also under ALOT of stress to be successful. I think when everyone expects such a high standard out of you, it's hard to live up to it.

18. miss mary

miss mary New Member

oops 8 ivy league schools, thanks puss.

people lie on the chat shows too kronnie, i personally knew 2 theater majors at my uni (in chicago) who made up personas and went on the jerry springer show. jerry at least isn't too picky about truth