Project 2996 - A Tribute to the Victims of 9/11

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I participated in this project and you can read my tribute to Alexander Robbins Steinman here http://shiroko29.livejournal.com/2006/09/09/ I also posted a link to the 2996 website, where you can read tributes to many other 9/11 victims. Doing this tribute was a heartwrenching experience and it taught me to really appreciate my family and loved ones and to hold on to them as hard as I can.

2. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Very impressive how that was put together.

3. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

That was a great tribute which you wrote! I'd like to have met that guy too and also the heroes of Flight 93 who apparently saved either the White House or the Capitol from being destroyed by their heroism! As it happens, some former coworkers of mine who still work for the state agency where I was employed, were in New York that day. They were entering the World Trade Center for a meeting with an official there when the first airplane hit the tower. They ran back outside, saw what had happened and then ran for several blocks finally taking refuge in a restaurant, which they saw had a TV, so they could try to find out what had happened. If they had been earlier and had gone up in the tower, they might not have survived. This morning, I was watching the memorial services on TV and cried with the families of the victims. It all still seems like a terrible nightmare.

4. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Oh my god..talk about a miraculous escape! I too got a little choked up when I was writing the tribute, but I was too numb and too much in shock to feel feel anything when I watched the events unfold on this very day five years ago. I thought the images of the jets crashing into the Twin Towers must have been a special effects shot from a movie, that it couldn't possibly be real. I'd been to the top of the World Trade Center in 1998 during a vacation trip to New York. I was so high up I felt like I was flying, and the Statue of Liberty was a tiny green speck down in the harbor. It's incredible to think that those huge buildings are gone and even more incredible to think how quickly they fell.

5. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Now if only we weren't pansies and had taken care of this fucking problem. Sometimes you have to not be "the good guys" to get things done.

6. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Woah..I just noticed a major grammatical problem with this sentence that we grammar nazis call a 'dangling modifier' or 'wandering antecedent' depending on who your English teacher is. The way you've written it, it sounds like the Capitol was about to be destroyed by the heroism of the people on flight 93. It should be written more like this:

"...the heroes of Flight 93 who through their heroism saved either the White House or the Capitol from being destroyed."

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program. :phat

7. HerHubby

Gold Member

OOPS!!! Sometimes I type more quickly than I think (was that grammatically correct?)!! Sorry 'bout that! Well, there's nothing for it (as the English say) other than to PUNISH MY SELF SEVERELY by watching a NASCAR race!!! Hope Thorn and Rose don't see that!!! Ha, ha!!! ;>

8. HerHubby

Gold Member

Oh, by the way, speaking of grammar (in a way), one of the former employees mentioned above is a state Commissioner. He earned a BA, MA and Ph.D. in German, apparently decided that he didn't want to stay in that field so he earned an M.B.A. and ended up a state Commissioner! Interesting how people's careers can turn out! I'm glad that he was a fast jogger and survived the attack on the World Trade Center!