Pregnancy Tests

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by ramtuf49, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramtuf49

ramtuf49 New Member

My wife is a little over 2 weeks late for her period. She did a home pregnancy test almost a week ago and it said negative. How soon after a woman becomes pregnant will these tests give accurate results? If she is not pregnant what else can cause this delay? She is always on time before.

2. Shellen77

Shellen77 New Member

After working a Pharmacy for nearly 5 years, I was asked this question hundreds of times. The over the counter tests are fairly accurate & can detect it when the woman is approximately a week late. The newer tests are claiming that they can detect as soon as 3 days, but most Pharmacists & Doctors don't feel that is the case. As for them being accurate, they are depending on the situation. They will NEVER give you a false positive, but can give you a false negative if the test is done too soon. As for what might be causing her to be late if she is not pregnant, a number of things can cause that. For one stress is a big contributor of that! If she's been under a lot of stress lately, it can throw off her cycle. Also any new medications can do that. Another one could be that since she's maturing with age, womens cycles do get a bit off kilter. I would recommend that you try another test (don't get the cheap generic brand ones, they are not as good in quality....seen that happen alot in my pharmacy). If it comes back negative, wait a week & see if she starts. If not, it's best that she makes a doctors appointment. She may or may not be pregnant, but there could be other health factors that are causing her cycle to be off.

Hope that helps you & Good luck to you!

3. ramtuf49

ramtuf49 New Member

Shellen,
    Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I had not even considered medication but she did start an antibiotic for sinus infection a couple days before time for her to start. Can that do it?

4. Shellen77

Shellen77 New Member

You're welcome!:)
    The med's possibly can do that...depending on which antibotic. Is she on the pill? If so, taking antibotics can decrease the effectiveness of the pill too. It also could be just the stress from her body going through the infection that can throw it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.