Political Differences in a Relationship

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by milesdavisgirl, Aug 21, 2007.

1. milesdavisgirl

milesdavisgirl New Member

Is it possible to be in a relationship and expect to last long-term with someone who has a lot of opposing political views to your own? For example, pro-war vs. anti-war, or pro-life vs. pro-choice.

2. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

If both individuals can be mature enough to accept that others have different beliefs, and not spend all their energy and time pushing their own beliefs onto others including their significant other....then yes, two opposites can do well. Don't make how you vote in political elections a huge topic of conversation. If you can't separate the two, then no......

3. yorkiesmurf

yorkiesmurf New Member

My answer is it depends. If the differences are superficial and you share many of the same interests other than political then these are easy to get around. Take a look at your activities, interests, views. In the event that you do not share the same political views and your significant other does not hold many same interests in activities then it may indicate a more fundamental difference between the two of you. This fundamental difference may make it difficult, if not impossible, to maintain a relationship for the long-term. You may find that one of you is trying to 'convert' the other to their point of view in order to bring some stability to the relationship. Unfortunately you cannot change another person's view if they are not willing to change it and you should not expect them to change their beliefs for you. You should accept them for who they are not and not what you want them to become.

4. cbrmale

Gold Member

Yes it is, as long as your underlying personalities are compatible. The best relationships are mixtures of similarities and differences in any case. For the big differences, you must agree to disagree as we all do.

5. Dreama

Gold Member

Anyone can be with anyone else if you chose to accept them unconditionally for who they are. That isn't to say you let them walk all over you, but as cbrmale said, you have to agree to disagree on the big issues.

6. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

My wife and I have been together for eight years -- not a long time, but long enough to know that we mesh well. Politically, we're pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum: I'm a moderate republican; she's an idiot. ;)

Seriously, we're able to understand each others' viewpoints, and if you can do that you're not too far apart. I used to be pretty involved in politics; I don't think she's ever voted. Maybe that makes it easier for me, since no matter what her political beliefs, mine are the only ones that make it to the polls. :) I think we've also moved a little closer together in our beliefs as the years pass.

And finally, we've decided that I'll make all the major decisions for our household, like who should be the next U.S. president. She makes all the minor decisions, like... everything else. Seems fair to me.

7. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Some political beliefs I would consider more important that others in a relationship. The War in Iraq isn't a big one, that's the president's mistake, not the voters, and supporting it or not really doesn't reflect your personality and morals. I would think things like gay rights and religious tolerance make a bigger difference.

It depends to me on how tolerant you are, I think most Bushies are brainwashed idiots, but respect their right to be so. I'm dating a republican right now, but she's one who thinks for herself (hates the president) and isn't a hardcore conservative any more than I'm a hardcore liberal.

8. Buffalo204

Buffalo204 Member

Ask Arnold and Maria.:)

9. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Never had the problem with ex g/f about political beliefes as they and i have always felt the same way, labour libural and conservative , doesnt matter which you vote for, they are all currupt and power hungry seeking jackasses..

off my 16 years of being able to vote, i have voted once....

but i do think different types of p[eople can work and live and love each other in a close relationship...as the saying goes
    opposites atract

10. Merc40

Merc40 New Member

Longterm.......NOPE!

11. dressd2dpress

dressd2dpress New Member

Melicious said about all that need be said, but as most people can't pull those things off, it's wiser to assume that it wouldn't work out. Now if you each agree on the things that matter most to on another and a few other issues, it might work.

Let's say person A is really big into conservation, but is also pro-choice, pro-gay, anti-feminist, and against gun control. Person B is a major gay rights advocate, but is also pro-conservation, pro-feminist, pro-choice, pro-feminist, and against gun control. These two people might have a chance.