Pizza vs. Pizza

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Essene, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Essene

Gold Member

NY style versus Chicago style versus (other pizza types like Pizza Hut or Djorno's).

2. mrcock

Gold Member

explain.........

for the non americans

:lol

3. backcheck64

Gold Member

I've had NY on the streets of NYC, Chicago style on several hockey tournaments at Giardono's or something like that....St Louis style beats them all.

4. xeniadraven

Gold Member

over here we have a choice of pizza hut or dominos. (if you dont include the local businesses and the chain restaurants that dont deliver)

we'd go for pizza hut everytime, cant beat the stuffed crust!

5. HardRocker

Gold Member

Chiago style is too much for me, one slice is a meal. Between the two, NY style is my favorite, but I prefer a medium thickness crispy crust with crunchy edges; mushrooms, pepperoni, black olives, and a scattering of onion, light on the sauce and lots of cheese.

Mmmmmmpiiiizza...

6. Essene

Gold Member

I'm xenophobic. So I don't mind at all if non-Americans don't get the gist of the styles.

(Joking)

NY style is usually preceived to be thin (sometimes the crust, sometimes it's not) with wide slices (people often their slices "vertically" because they're so large.
    ny03-pizza11.jpg

Chicago style is perceived to be deep dish- where one "slice" can be an entire meal.
    09-wd0709-Chicago-Style-Stuffed-Pizza-2.jpg

The other styles (Neapolitan, etc) are just different styles. I'm interested to know how people feel about those two (and possible a few others).

7. Essene

Gold Member

I loked up the St. Lewis one and it looks like an Amoeba. It's rather sloppy looking. I've never had their style of pizza though. Are the ingredients much different?

When I heat up a Dijourno's (I know I might me terrible misspelling this) pizza, I will usually take mozzarella cheese sticks and half them. Then I cut the crust in half and insert the halves into the dissected crust.

I'm actually right there with you. Except I love extra sauce now. I didn't use to. And I'd add onion. With every three years or so I am becoming more accepting of different genres of food. I didn't use to like tomatoes on my sandwiches. Now I do. The same goes with Poppa John's sauce. I thought it was too sweet. Now I think that it's delicious.

P.S. Hardrocker, how long has it been since a song Kansas made was your song of the week?

8. backcheck64

Gold Member

They use Provel cheese, a combination of 4 other cheeses but they also sell it in stores here. The crust is thin and crispy, sauce is a little on the sweet side...and lots of provel, otherwise it's like other pizzas. And it's Louis, not Lewis.

9. igor

Gold Member

I usually get Digornos from our Jewel store. Usually they are large enough for two meals for the 2 of us. But one thig I noticed that their "supreme" pizza
    does not taste near as good reheated. If I were going to order out I have yet to find a better pizza that those from Rosatis.

10. almostthere

Gold Member

Being born and raised in NYC, i have to say that .......and this hurts.......,chicago is my fav.

11. backcheck64

Gold Member

30 miles from my house is Shakespears pizza, voted the best college restaurant in the nation. Killer pizza, decent price, but no one area style of pizza. We have two restaurants that have unique pizza here...Greek pizza. Good stuff..and uses goat cheese.

12. 12barblues

Gold Member

Used to be a pizza restaurant in my area, owned by a Greek couple. Great food in general....loved when the owners would just come over and sit down at our table with a bottle of ouzo and a couple shot glasses....:D

13. Essene

Gold Member

I haven't had a decent pizza that I didn't like. This sounds good as I love provalone- so I'm sure I'd like provel. I'm iffy on the sweet sauce; but (like with Poppa John's) I'm sure I'd come to like it.

I laughed. I used to refuse to eat NY style pizza because of my distaste for the Giants. I'll still cheer against them; but I will eat their pizza.

14. mrcock

Gold Member

I never tried chicago style pizza, but it looks nice on the pic

15. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

New York has the best pizza in the world. End of discussion. :)

16. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

NY style for me since I live less than an hour away from the city. Gotta rep the East Coast...plus the deep dish looks like a heart attack platter to me...

17. backcheck64

Gold Member

It tastes nothing like Pappa Johns....Pappa John's is shit, you couldn't make me eat that crap. I wouldn't hit my dog in the ass with Pappas...or Dominos, Pappa Murphys, Pizza hut, Godfathers......all crap.

18. backcheck64

Gold Member

It's acutally quite good and not as greasy as NY style. I'd say it's probably healthier than NY, but we are talking pizza, not health food.

19. MordsithLove

Gold Member

We've got quite a variety of some good pizza spots her in southern Cali, some are the average sports bar and others are the new urban and almost gormet pizza. With all these new health kicks, organic and gluten free...there's such a wide range of how pizza is made from the dough, sauce, cheeses, spices and toppings.

Plus. My first job, I made pizzas at the near by mini golf park. (BTW I can make a pretty damn good pizza) :D

And I love food, so I'd eat both :p

20. OverSinged

Gold Member

Can I go for the combo of the two? I like a nice thick pizza, but I don't want it to be half a foot deep.