pills' side effects

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by hero, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hero

hero New Member

Does anyone know any side effects of Birth Control Pills? I've heard it makes women gain weight. What else?

2. sweeetest

sweeetest New Member

it can make you get bad acnie but i have never known anyone who has had any saide affects from any of them u just have to find the right one for you. i get the injection every 3 months which is great cause u dont get ur period Yaaaaay!!! and it is just as affective as the pill and u dont have to try and remember to take a pill every day cause if ur anything like me i always forgot.

3. hero

hero New Member

What do you call that shot? How much?

4. Shellen77

Shellen77 New Member

Actually the pill has proven that it helps with acne. Also weight gain is a big issue with both the pill & Depo Provera (the shot). It's the progesterone in the med's that cause the weight gain. With the pill, it isn't so bad & some women never gain with it. But there is a much higher rate of gaining weight with the shot because it is strickly progesterone. Also with the shot, someone women don't have their periods at all but some actually have it worse than usual. Personally, I would take the pill. It might be a hassle to take everyday but I would hate gaining lots of weight & the fact that I wouldn't get my period. I would constantly worry that I was pregnant if I didn't get that monthly reminder. Just my opinion about it all...

Oh...as for cost of the shot. It's a little pricey but honestly can't remember how much it is. I worked in a Pharmacy for 5 years & now that I changed careers I don't have a clue about costs any more.

5. tina

tina New Member

the pill made me gain weight, my boobs ballooned, and i had the worse headaches ever!!!!

a friend of mine was on depo and after a year she started lactating (milk in her boobs) so she went off it and has had an iud since then.

6. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

yeah, dont forget about IUDs or the patch there are also under the skin implants and a 80 day pill.... talk to your doctor about birthcontrol... or better yet, plan a consultation with a nurse practitioner. they are nearly as knowledgeable and can give you so much time to make the RIGHT decision.

as for the weight gain on the pill... yeah, i gained a bit but i'm LOVING IT...i was one of those sickly thin girls with bones everywhere, i couldn't gain weight... but i absolutly love my boobs now and the hips and ass aren't that bad either

7. jiggy

jiggy New Member

"The Pill" can make you gain weight, but it can also make you lose a few pounds as well. It is often prescribed to treat acne problems, and usually it helps acne more than causes it. There are two different types of pills, a Progestin only pill. and a Progestin and Estrogen combi pill. Talk to your doc or a nurse at a Planned Parenthood clinic to find out more specific details and the difference between the two. To find out more information, go to www.google.com and search for "Birth control Pill + side effects" theres lots of info to be had there (way to much for me to write!)

8. mr_fongo

mr_fongo New Member

'combined' pill:

"A course of pills taken for 21 days out of 28 and containning oestrogen and progestogen"

Benefits -

With careful use only one in 100 women in a year would become pregnant while using the oull
    Protect against ectopic pregnancy (in the fallopian tubes)
    Protect against some pelvic infection which can leat to reduced fertility
    Fewer problems with periods
    Protect from cancer of ovaries and cancer of endometrium (lining of womb)
    PRotection from cysts on ovaries
    Reduces likelihood of breast lumps
    Reduces likelihood of developing fibroids (swelling in muscles of womb)
    Relieves symptoms of endometriosis
    Reduces risk of duodenal ulcers and rheumatoid arthritis

Risks -
    Can increase risk of deep vein thrombosis in lef but pills with lower doses of oestrogen minimise this risk
    Smokers havean increased risk of blocked arteries and this risk is increased again if they take the pill
    May cause a slight increase in blood sugar - might cause problems with diabetics

Progestogen-Only Pill

"A course of pills containig progestogen taken at the same time every day of the motn"

Benefits -

Contains no oestogen so women who should not take the combined pill may be able to tak the progestogen only pill
    Does not affect bloody pressure or increase the risk of heart disease
    Can be used safely by diabetics and those who are over weight
    OK for mothers who are breat feeding as it has no harmful eddects on breast milk or the baby
    Fertility will return immediately after the progestogen only pill is stopped

Risks -

Must be taken at the same time every day (within 3 hours) or the effect willwear off
    20% of users stop having perios and 40% have infrequent periods or spotting
    Slightly increses the chance of developing non-cancerous ovarian cysts
    In the few pregnancies which occur an etopic pregnancy in the fallopian tube is slightly more likely
    Not as effective as the combined pill in preventing pregnancy in younger women.

Injectable contraception

"An injection containin progestogen lasting two of three months. the hormone is stored in body fat and slowly released into the blood

Benfits -

Absorption does not involve disgestive system so diarrhoea or vomiting will not cause contaceptive failure
    Protects again some pelvic infections
    Perios may stop or become irregular
    Lowers risk of ectopic pregnancy in the fallopian tubes
    Protects against cancer of endometrium (lining of the wom)
    Reduces risk of cysts on the ovaries
    Less likely to be interfered with by long term medication including some anti biotics.

Risks -

Return of fertility may be delayed
    Any side effects have to be tolerated till effect of inhection has run it's course
    Very small minority gain weight initially
    Very rarely acne greasy hair, depression, or loss of interest in sex is reported

Emergency Pills

"2 special doses of the combined pill, taken 12 hours apart within 72 hours of unprotected sex or contraceptive failiure"

Benefits -

Prevents preganancies that would otherwise have happened
    As only a single does of oestrogen is taken the user is not exposed to any of the long term risks posed by the combined pill

Risks -

Only possible to take it within 72 hours of unprotected sex
    Can only be used occasionally as it isn't effective as a regular contraceptive
    Nausea is common and 20% vomit during the period of treatment necessitating a futher dose
    Very small possibility of ectopic pregnancy
    Cannot be prescribed while a woman has a severe focal migraine

Implants

"Small soft tubes placed under the skin of the upper arm to release progestogen steadily into the bloody stream for up to 5 yrs"

Benefits - As effective as the combined pill in protecting from pregnancy
    Can be removed at any time in a woman's cycle if required.
    No effect on fertility after removal
    No need to remember to take pills etc
    No oestrogen related side effects of health risks
    A lower dose of profestogen can be used because the flow of hormones into the blood stream is constant

Risks -

Usually causes irregular bleeding but this may settle down after a few months
    Insertion site must be kept dry for 3 days to minimise possibility of infection
    Needs to be inseted and removed by a trained person with sterile equipment
    Capsules can be felt under the skin and sometimes seen
    Local anaesthetic advisable to ease discomfot of insertion and removal
    May cause mood changes

Hope that clears up the usage of contraception...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.