Pill affects sex drive?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by heelfetish, Apr 23, 2008.

1. heelfetish

Gold Member

OK, so I've mentioned a few times that our libido has been waning ever since the birth of our son. We've been working through it, and have been making some progress. Our trip to Mexico sure helped!! :brow I'm sure a lot of it is stress-related, but I was thinking there may be more to it than that.

My wife has been on the Pill since soon after we started dating. She came off it when we decided to have a child, but then resumed after he was born. We had a lot of difficulty conceiving, and with my side ruled out, it was determined to be a hormonal issue on hers. She had to take fertility drugs to make it happen. No biggie, she took the drugs, a month later she was pregnant. Life was good! :)

Anyways, it's almost 4 years later, and her sex drive is quite low. Oddly enough, she libido returns on the week she's not taking any pills. That's frustrating for both of us, however, as there isn't much we can do about it during that week. We have both agreed that sex during her period is a turnoff for us both.

After her going through another horny phase during her period last week, then it disappearing after starting to take her pills again, things finally started to come together for me. I did some searches here but didn't find anything on the subject. So I just hopped on Google and found TONS of information on it.

This article in particular from WebMD caught my attention: http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/84/98116.htm

So now I know it may be part of the problem. My question is, what is the solution? Besides a vasectomy or condoms, is there another effective form of birth control out there that may not mess her up so badly? Anyone else experience this? Help!

2. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

There are many forms of birth control and many different forms of hormonal birth control. (You can Google that too.) If your wife is game to try something else, she should see her gyn doc for suggestions. She could try different brands of pills, the same pill with an added hormonal replacement therapy, IUD, diaphragm, cervical cap, contraceptive sponge.... I think hormonal bc is generally considered the most effective, but her doctor could give better advice than any of us.

My first wife lost her sex drive after our first child and never regained it as long as I was with her (20+ years after the first-born), even after she went off birth control completely, other than abstinence. I've had a vasectomy for some years, so bc isn't something I keep up to date on.

Good luck.

3. matt4265

matt4265 New Member

ye.....

ye, come to think of it, my girlfriend loses her sex drive while takin the pill. i have noticed that she has weeks when she is more horny, but hearing that has made me realise, weeks shes off the pill she is much more horny.......... but sorry i dont know what to do bout it

4. Dreama

Gold Member

Birth control can dampen libido for some, that's for sure. Not me, thankfully. But I've heard some stories from others about what kinds of affects birth control can have, and in that area, there were plenty of stories to tell.

5. loveit247

Gold Member

HF, I am on Yasmin now, have been for a little over a year. I find that it has no adverse side affects for me. It does not affect my sex drive like the other pills used to. Maybe investigate that?

6. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Recently I was considering taking myself off the pill and getting an IUD, which is non-hormonal form of birth-control that is actually more effective than then pill. I've been taking the pill off and on since about the age of sixteen and I've never had any problems with it. I once went off it for about nine months when I decided to try the Depo Provero shot, mainly because I wanted something I didn't have to remember everyday. That was a big mistake on my part. It gave me a laundry list of side effects and made my sex drive disappear completely, which defeated the purpose of being on birth control in the first place.

The reason why I was considering switching an IUD is that I started taking a medication (for epilepsy) that reduces the efficacy of the pill. I don't really know by how much, but now it might be a moot point. I had to spend last night in the hospital because I had an allergic reaction to the medication and I've stopped taking it. I'm fine now and probably could have gone home last night, but my neck and thyroid glands were swollen and they wanted to keep me overnight for observation.

Anyway, the IUD is non-hormonal so it might be an option for you and your wife.

7. cook74

Gold Member

Thanks Heely.

In the last couple of years my wife's libido has decreased dramatically.The Pill may not be the cause but it is something we haven't looked into yet and it certainly seems like it might be worth looking into.

8. heelfetish

Gold Member

Thanks for the tips and discussion, everyone. Sadly we don't have a family doctor or a Gyn. right now, so seeing a doctor is rather difficult. But I'll look more into Yasmin and the IUD.

For the IUD, I just did a bit of reading on wikipedia. What kind of procedure is involved for insertion and removal? Painful? Anyone here using an IUD that can comment?

Puss, I hope you're feeling better!!

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I'm feeling much better thanks. :)

I've never had an IUD before but I have read up on them. Supposedly the insertion isn't that much of an ordeal, doesn't require surgery, and can be done in seconds at the doctor office. There is little pain when it is inserted, although her periods may become more crampy and painful:

There is some good information in this page:

http://www.arhp.org/patienteducation/onlinebrochures/understandingIUDs.cfm

10. heelfetish

Gold Member

Her periods are already pretty bad, I can't imagine putting her through anything worse. :(

11. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Well that is something to take into consideration, for sure. Mine are pretty light so still thinking about getting an IUD. I've been on hormone-based birth control for so long and, at least according to my doctor, it's really not that good for you to subject your body to hormonal alteration for years and years.