Phobias

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

In another thread a member wondered if he had a new kind of phobia because he has an aversion to feminine hygiene products. This made me laugh a little, as I'd never heard of such a thing, but then I thought about what a phobia really was, so I googled it. I found out that the textbook definition of phobia is: a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it. So, such a phobia as mentioned above could surely exist.

I got to thinking about if I had any true phobias and one sprang to mind immediately...steel wool. I can't stand to touch the stuff, it makes me cringe just to think of how it feels in my hands. Not sure why it bothers me so, as I don't recall any traumatic experience with it in my early childhood. I do recall a time when I was in my teens when my phobia really hit hard.

When I was in high school metal shop class and I found out on the first day that we'd be using steel wool to finish our pieces, I felt my stomach tighten and I thought I'd vomit right there. I ended up holding the wool by pulling my shirt sleeve so long I could use it as a mitten but it was still a wretched experience for me.

I've gotten over some of my phobia by forcing myself to use SOS pads when I'm scrubbing pots. I have to use a sponge to hold them because even if I wear gloves I can feel the texture of the wool through the gloves and it makes me nervous but, at least I'm at the point where I pluck a fresh one out of the box with my bare hands. Of course, I then fling the pad into the sink like it is made of acid, but baby steps, right? ;)

So, SF'ers, what are your phobias?

2. igor

Gold Member

Steel wool huh? WOW....

Well I have two I guess. One is acrophobia - a fear of heights. I think that one came about when I was up on a roof and was attacked by a swarm of wasps and couldn't get down. I don't mind being in an airplane but when driving there are some bridges I just cannot drive over. And I don't climb a ladder more than 6 feet up.

The other (I don't know what you call it) is the sight of blood.

3. heelfetish

Gold Member

Ditto igor. Heights & gore. I know I have a couple more but they're ascaping me. A distinct lack of sleep is affecting my brain function.

4. Barbwire

Gold Member

No shit! "ascaping" :rofl

5. HardRocker

Gold Member

Ascaping. That could go in the word association thread next to waxing.

6. Dreama

Gold Member

Jumping. Jumping off of stuff, from anywhere, high up or not. ugh.

7. Barbwire

Gold Member

Did you fall when you were a kid and hurt yourself, Dreama?

8. Dreama

Gold Member

Oh, I'm sure. Nothing specific comes to mind, though-I just know that as far back as I can remember, I could never jump into the pool (despite the fact that I'm an amazing swimmer and love the water), or off of things that kids usually climbed onto and jumped off of. I failed my college swimming test because on the jumping in portion, I had a panic attack and started crying inconsolably. Yech. I love being up high though-just don't expect me to jump off, whether I'm standing on a cinder block, or a tower. lol

9. HardRocker

Gold Member

Rattlesnakes and cobras. I run screaming whenever I see one not behind glass. That probably isn't a real phobia. We have black widow spiders and I know I should be afraid of them but I'm not. I just stomp on them.

10. heelfetish

Gold Member

Damn. pwn3d by a typo. :lol But yeah, asscaping could be a new word for butt de-hairing. :phat

11. Barbwire

Gold Member

Still waiting to hear about your beast Christmas. :p