Pet Question: Do We Need To Hide The Kittens From The Father?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kermit, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Kermit

Gold Member

Our two little kittens have grown up into horny little beasts and i think the female calico is pregnant. When she gives birth do we have to hide the kittens from the father, Holly thinks he'd try to kill them

2. DarkJewel

DarkJewel New Member

Um...I have never heard of male cats killing their young.
    We saved a female cat and her babies and our male cat just ignored them

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

I have always had cats and that's not something I've heard of. But now would be a good time to get him neutered. It may be best to leave him outside when you aren't home if you aren't sure about him.

Males are frequently more affectionate than females to people, but I don't know if that applies to other cats.

4. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Yeah, it shouldn't be an issue at all. Bigger worry is whether the mother has had kittens before or not, and watching to make sure she takes proper care of them.

5. Kermit

Gold Member

I think Holly would have me neutered first lol, jk. No money to neuter them yet. I guess it's werid to watch them grow up, we got the little calico when she was a tiny baby, it's distrubing to see her mounted (i caught the little bastards today doing that).

6. HardRocker

Gold Member

How many kittens do you two plan to have?:eyes

7. Texas_Red

Gold Member

You might want to look into low cost vet services and such. There are far too many shelter cats and other animals because far too many people end up not keeping those cute puppies and kittens and such that they get for free, etc.

I don't mean to sound like Bob Barker, but it's really important.

8. HardRocker

Gold Member

The shelter where I live will spay a female for $29. I think neutering is even less.

9. HisLilSecret

HisLilSecret New Member

The mother cat is going to find a quiet dark place to have the kittens anyway, a momma cat had her kittens in the lining of the box springs under my bed (I slept on the couch). Not as nasty as it seems since u can just tear the lining out after the kittens come out & throw it away. I have never heard about male cats harming kittens but the mother is another story, i have heard the momma cat might kill a kitten if it is not well or if people mess with the babies to much she might stop caring for them. So just keep an eye on the mother cat & if you are worried seperate the male when your not around, but my male cat, who was not the father of the kittens, also just ignored the babies. Hope this helps.

10. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I've heard this one. It's a myth.

11. Texas_Red

Gold Member

I've never experienced a momma cat stopping caring for a kitten over over handling, though they can get very aggressive if they don't know you well and think you're a threat. As for killing a sick kitten, not directly. Generally the mother cat will move herself and the rest of the kittens to another location and let the unwell kitten die. Sadly I've been witness to this twice. Was able to save one by warming it up good and bottle feeding it KMR for a few days to build strength. The other one didn't make it because the mom abandoned it during the night.

12. loveit247

Gold Member

How old are your cats? If the female is under two years old then you are a truly irresponsible pet owner. It is the equivalent of a 12 year old having babies. If you cannot afford to sterilise your female then you should rehome her to someone who can.

There are FAR too many animals languishing in shelters to allow the willy nilly breeding of more animals.

As a RESPONSIBLE dog breeder I find this behaviour offensive. I am sorry if you don't like my point of view on this but this makes me very angry!

13. awakened

awakened New Member

"Responsible" "breeder", really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what part of breeding and "far too many animals in shelters" make sense ????????????
    I am sorry, I usually go by the mantra, if you cant say anything nice at all then dont say anything at all, but "responsible breeders" really make me angry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I think you are confusing "breeder" with "puppy mills." Breeders are licensed, keep detailed genealogical records to avoid inbreeding, and don't pump out puppies as fast as they can like the mills do. Puppy mills are illegal in almost all progressive states.

Most breeders will spay/neuter your pet for if (if it's old enough when you adopt it.)

#14 ninja08hippie, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  15. awakened

awakened New Member

Thank you for your input I am familiar with both situations that you described , but in regards to animal population it increases the number of pets that may end homeless in a shelter . I have a close friend that has been in breed specific canine rescuefor six years and has brought into her rescue dogs from both situations and more of course. Some even come with their papers from the owners surrender with their hopes of the animal finding a new owner quicker.

I understand people have their own beliefs about the responsible breeder. I believe that there are responbible people who happen to breed but it is not my belief that increasing an overpopulation of animals in good.

16. Kermit

Gold Member

Well this is really gonna piss you off, they are less than a year old. We're not worried about the babies, we're not gonna abandon them or put them in a shelter. We will find homes for them. And once we are able to afford it, we will neuter them (or at least the female). I'ts funny how you make an insincere apology in anticipation of a negative, angry reaction to your statements, when honestly your opinion of me is not really a concern of mine. I appreciate you speaking your mind so bluntly, but honestly I don't care. If it makes you feel good to lecture me on what a horrible pet owner I am fine, but it's not constructive beyond trying to induce a guilt trip. Since we're being blunt with each other maybe you think it would be best for the father to kill them and and if he's gonna kill them he better do so and decrease the surplus cat population. I'm just not gonna do that. A little late on neutering, but better late than never.

#16 Kermit, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  17. loveit247

Gold Member

That truly is very very sad.

18. loveit247

Gold Member

There are 68 Papillons in South Africa. We are trying to establish a line here. I can't see any of those VERY rare dogs in this blood line ending up in a shelter! Especially with the birth rate being 2-3 pups per litter.

Educate yourself properly before making silly statements. :lol

19. nurseharley

Gold Member

this thread needs some cute

[​IMG]

20. loveit247

Gold Member

Very very cute! You should put a cute overload warning before that!!!!!