OT vetrinarian issue

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by awakened, Nov 29, 2010.

1. awakened

awakened New Member

Any of you that know about animal first aid, specifically paw pad laceration in canine.
    My poor rat bastard was digging(unusual) under fence yesterday and cut the large pad fairly deep. We cleaned with chlorahexadine and wrapped with gauze and loosly taped to pad could breathe. He is cleary in pain and want to know if i can take care of him myself or should I make vet appt.? I just spent $120 on my other baby last friday for hot spot inf.

Please pm me:shrug

2. HardRocker

Gold Member

If it's deep the vet may want to sterilize it before suturing it. Antibiotics might be a good idea. If you want to take care of it yourself. you've probably done the right things. I don't know how to tell you to keep him off of that paw.

I am not a vet or a doc.

3. Mittimer

Gold Member

I worked with animals for 3 years so I know a tad bit.

You CAN treat it yourself but if his pain continues, you need to take him to a vet.

How to take care of a cut pad?

• Manually check for any items stuck in the paw
    • Soak paw in a epsom salt bath for 10 to 15 minutes, swish the paw if need be to dislodge any items in the paw.
    • after that, pat paw dry
    • with sterile gauze pat betadine on the paw.
    • wrap breathable gauze around the pay. Taut but not tight.
    • ACE bandages can be put over the gauze so he can walk outside.
    • If the cut is shallow or superficial, you CAN dab ointment around it to cut down the risk of infection.
    Just be sure to keep an eye on it. You don't want it to become infected. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

4. johndeeregirl

johndeeregirl New Member

I agree with Mitty.. also want to add you can put a baggy over the foot and tape it for trips outside.. if it's wet/muddy the ACE can get dirty quickly and baggies and tape are inexpensive and disposable for potty trips :)

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

You said the wound was to the pad itself, not the skin between th toes, right? Ripped pads are notoriously hard to heal because keeping them clean and bandaged is tough.

Were he my dog, I'd get him to a vet, have it properly treated. I'm sure the vet can ease the dog's pain, close the wound and show you how to properly bandage the wound. Also, and this is crucial, the vet will give you an Elizabethian collar to put on the dog so he doesun't tear his bandages off or chew out his sutures, should he have any.