OT...BassDude quits smoking!

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by BassDude, Oct 17, 2008.

1. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Hey ya'll...confession time...I started smoking when I was about 21. I'm 42 now, and I've been smoking most of this whole time...21 friggin' years! Guess what? I've quit though!

I went on Chantix about a month ago. You ramp up the dosage for a week, then I had been on full dosage for about 3 weeks, and realized I had cut the smoking down by 50-65%, depending on the stress level for the day. Well, that doesn't work for me...if I'm not focused on it, then I end up back at the 100% level without even realizing it.

So, I screamed "help!" to my closest friends..."encourage me and praise me"...I knew that's what I needed to kick me on over the fence. The cheerleading section came to the rescue...all women of course :D, FlirtyChick (no doubt, right?), my totally hot best girl-friend (I wish she'd tell me "If you make it for 30 days, I'll take you away for a weekend and fuck you senseless" :D...talk about motivation! I'd just have to ask FC for permission for that one), a reasonably new member of our "friends that are almost like family" circle, my oldest college girl-friend (She's one of those people who has always told me "you can do absolutely friggin' anything", "you are destined for greatness", etc.), and a female (and quite hot) co-worker. These ladies encouraged and praised me enough for me to kick myself over the "fence" of not buying any more smokes. They all emailed me or IM'd me all sorts of encouraging words...I pasted them all into a document, printed it, and I have it in my car to pick up and read when I have the urge to go buy a pack of cigarettes...just reading that "love note" is enough to totally stop me from buying smokes. "Don't want to lose you", "You can do anything", "Proud of you", etc. Totally uplifting words for me. Seriously.

Now, I won't say that I haven't bummed a few when I've been out at a bar, etc., over the past week or so. But....bumming 1 or 2 is a whole helluva lot better than buying (and smoking) a whole pack of 20 x 6 days so far! I'm doing pretty damned good for killing a 20+ year habit, I think.

Funny story...Chantix has all these bizarre side-effects. (One that's not so bizarre is naseau...for about 30 minutes after I've taken a dose, I could just puke all over a room UNLESS I've eaten a really big meal, which I seldom do. BUT...I'll deal with the naseau to successfully kick this habit.) Anyway, one of the strange side effects was something like "If you find yourself having unually bizarre thoughts, call a doctor immediately." Hmm, I scratched my head. "How would I know?" :eek By this standard, I should have called a doctor a long friggin' time ago! :lol

Anyway, it's going well. The Chantix completely removes the physical withdrawal symptoms...it's a fairly new drug that bonds to the nicotene receptors in your brain (thus the possibility of bizarre side effects) and essentially makes you "forget" to smoke. The thing I've been struggling with is overcoming the actual habit itself. But dammit, I'm getting there.

And as I proved to myself tonight at a Karaoke bar, I can sing like a MF when I ain't smokin'.

BD

2. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

That's a great testimony, BD! My hat's off to you - after so many years, smoking is like breathing - you just can't get through a day without doing it!
    :ugh "hmmmmm.. smokin'?... like breathin'?... Bad analogy :lol

But you are right about your throat/vocal chords. I used to sing... ALOT.. and publicly. I picked up smoking again a few years ago and almost instantly lost my ability to belt out tunes without a raspy overtone. Smoking sucks. And it smells bad. And it's expensive. And it seriously cuts down on the choice of restaurants or hotels one might wish to patronize. Airline trips cause panic attacks. Hot ashes fall on your private parts when you're driving. You have to stand outside - in rain, sleet, hail and ice - if you wanna' smoke at work.

Congratulations! You're a better man than I! And btw - SMOKIN' hot new avatar you got there! :brow

3. Dreama

Gold Member

Woo, BD. You're so awesome. I'm so glad that you're quitting!

4. MikeDog

MikeDog New Member

Great deal man, congrats

5. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

Congrats, BD.
    I am just like you were. I did the Chantix but I am a terrible pill taker. I forgot all the time. Of course it didn't work for me. But I am not giving up hope. When things calm down around me I am going to give it another shot. I found out if I do it half assed I end up smoking twice as much.
    I am so much looking forward to be able to sing again. My octaves range is down to about a quarter octave.

6. heelfetish

Gold Member

Awesome, BD! :woohoo

7. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Yay! :cheer

8. igor

Gold Member

Congrats BD.. Chantix is great stuff if you can handle it:toast

I started it in April after smoking for 50 years. I had quit once before for about a year, til a traumatic event in the family got me smoking again.

I probably picked a bad time to try and quit this time since there was a lot of personal problems going on with our marriage. I did have some of the side-effects - mainly depression.

So I basically have quit too although I admit to smoking a bowlfull now and then (I smoke a pipe) when under stress.

9. rugbylad82

rugbylad82 New Member

good job, im weird when it comes to this started early at 12 and was stopped before i was 18

10. Poky

Poky Banned

I'm going to look into this stuff. I've been wanting to quit for a long time now and I probably could have a year ago and was ready to, until I was basically slapped in the face with being stuck on a shift that I hate. I have so much stress on me right now it makes it hard to just quit... and WTG BD!!!!

11. Rose

Gold Member

:rofl

Gawd, I love stress, don't you?

12. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Thanks everyone! (Thanks Rose :brow).

Woo boy...I was wound up last night wasn't I? :lol I reckon that's what a bunch of Jaegerbomb's will do for ya! :p

I had at least gotten out of the habit of smoking in my car, smoking in the house...I always smoked outside (unless at a bar) or in the garage if it was just too darned messy outside. I feel really good to have released myself from the smokey chains!

I would say that I'd just like to have sex now every time I have the urge to smoke (because I do still have the urge)...but I'd be totally raw by the end of a day. :lol I'd damn sure be happy though...;).

BD

13. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

I am proud of you for getting this far this time...your lips taste sweet, your clothes and hair smell good, and you get to spend more time with "us" because you are not outside.

I was a smoker, for too many years. My mom has empysema (COPD) from smoking. On oxygen 27/7. She has been hospitalized about six months total over two stretches in the past two years. I spent MOST of those stays with her, never leaving her. This is what makes me glad I quit. When you have to hold your mother up while she is on the toilet in a hospital room, you learn lots.

So, for all of you peeps that still do it, please stop.......It not only hurts you but in the end will hurt the ones that love you.

And BD, I am proud of you baby!!!!! In more ways than this!

14. Rose

Gold Member

:eyes Oh, well.. welcome to the crowd! Sex. 10... 12....15... 20 times a day!! :woohoo

But ya' know what? I've never heard any health problems from having sex.. 10...12...15..20 times a day (as long as you use plenty of lube!). Maybe there's a moral to this story?

15. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Fuck more stop smoking? :lol

16. igor

Gold Member

Well, I LOVE to smoke - I admit it. Maybe stress is just an excuse, I dunno..... But doc says I gotta quite (COPD, ya know). So I better toe the line.

17. Rose

Gold Member

oooooohhhhh! I see a NATIONAL CAMPAIGN starting - - right here - - right now!!!

And PICS to follow!! :brow

18. BassDude

BassDude New Member

:lol Yeah, I keep trying to wear my cock out, but I can't seem to do it. How about you Flirty? :D

BD

19. BassDude

BassDude New Member

I think you might be onto something here, Rose.

:pics

20. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

YAY!!!!

:pics