Only the phantom knows...

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Barbwire, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

I learned something new today, I'm experiencing "phantom periods". That is to say, I have cramps, bloating, backache and moodiness without actually having my period. I haven't had a normal period since January so, it's like having PMS for two months straight.

Here I was, actually looking forward to menopause because I have had such bad issues with PMS my whole life and it turns out now, I can have all of the same symptoms and not get my period, PLUS I get the added bonus of feeling hopeless and having suicidal thoughts.

It's official, I'm an old bitch...time to grow a mustache and start wearing stretchy pants. *sigh*

For the more mature SF members, how did you deal with either yourself or your partner going through perimenopause and menopause?

#1 Barbwire, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. awakened

awakened New Member

Oh, thank you so much for the lovely preview of whats in store for me. lol

3. Barbwire

Gold Member

The pleasure was all mine. :dgrin

4. need4more

need4more New Member

It's a nightmare! If there is a level higher than bitchy, then that is me. After a while, I decided I wasn't going to let it affect my daily life, it would not get the better of me! No matter how miserable I am, I just keep doing what I always have. There are days that I just want to stay in bed. Finding things that ease symptoms are more exercise, less caffiene, and no processed foods. I've been doing Just Dance on the wii- as it really doesn't seem like exercise and the music can lift spirits.

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thank you for the pointers. I have noticed that the more active I am, the better I feel but, after a while I crash and burn just the same.

6. need4more

need4more New Member

Yep it takes a lot out of you. I don't get much sleep though, no matter how exhausted I am.

7. Barbwire

Gold Member

I don't have that problem...just the opposite; the more depressed I get, the more I sleep.

I really feel like I'm loosing my mind. I just feel a constant dread and anxiety mixed with feelings of self-destructiveness and remorse.

8. need4more

need4more New Member

you probably have already been, but might want to go to the dr. they can help with the depression and remorse.. Can atleast take the edge off and help you function again

9. Barbwire

Gold Member

My doc doubled me up on my anti-depressant med, hasn't done a damned thing.

10. HardRocker

Gold Member

There is light at the end of the tunnel. My wife went through it. I think she tried some antidepressants with no real success. She tried Xanax too, same thing. Once in a while, when she was on the verge of tears she would take a 5mg Valium, or even a half of one and it helped more than anything else. But she made that bottle of 30 last over a year. She had been having bad cramps, which made her kind of cranky, and of course her own private little Summers as she called the hot flashes. I think she eventually got some hormone pills that lightened the symptoms. Sex hit an all-time low. But, she came out of it and is all better now. Thank goodness for both of us.
    And we lived happily ever after.

11. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thank you for that, HR. :)

12. awakened

awakened New Member

From exp. I know that is a sure sign that it is time to completely change meds. over the last 11 yrs i have changed more than 8 times with different variations made in the interem. I had the greatest psych and he just retired 3 months ago but got me set straight before he went on to his life of luxury.

13. Ready2Please

Gold Member

Exercise I think is the best medicine!

14. Barbwire

Gold Member

Not always.

15. backcheck64

Gold Member

Last year my wife had the Novasure proceedure done, we had no intentions of any more kids (her tubes were tied anyway). It's a 90sec proceedure where they burn away the lining of the uterus. No more periods and 90% of PMS is gone. She hasn't had any sort of period for a year now, no cramps, no mess when having sex that time of the month, no tampons and stuff in the glovebox. She couldn't be happier with the results.

16. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thanks for the info. I will do some research on it although having my period isn't the issue right now, it's not having it. but feeling like I do that's the issue.

17. backcheck64

Gold Member

Wouln't hurt to talk to a Gyno about it. It may or may not help. Worth a try with the way you're feeling.

18. Barbwire

Gold Member

Got an appt. with the doc next week. I just hope I don't blow my top before then.

19. Ready2Please

Gold Member

Don't workout so hard. Take a walk outside or do stretching in your home. I do the same thing sometimes I workout too hard and push myself too hard. Then I later regret it and feel the pain later.