On this day...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GBBlondie, Apr 23, 2013.

1. GBBlondie

GBBlondie New Member

In 1985, "New" Coke was introduced. It was one of the most stunning product fails in history.

That was a good two years before I was even born, and I never got the chance to taste it. Anyone here old enough to have tasted it - did it suck that bad?

2. 12barblues

Gold Member

Yes, I remember when they did that. I don't remember it being that bad, I drank it occasionally . But soft drinks all kinda taste the same to me...like carbonated sugar water or something....only the diet drinks taste kinda bad to me..
    My grandfather was a die hard coke guy though, and he didn't like it at all....

3. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

I was around for that. It wasn't bad really. In fact, in pre-marketing taste tests, New Coke won out over both Old Coke and Pepsi. It failed as a replacement to Coke because the company failed to realize the loyalty and cultural impact factors of this institutional brand.

On the day of the introduction of New Coke, Pepsi took out full pages ads, declaring themselves the winners of the long running cola wars. This struck a nerve with Coke loyalists. Coke also failed to consider the institution that the brand had become among the people, especially southerners, as the drink was introduced and popularized there.

Because of this, the product failed badly. In less than three months they re-introduced the original formula as Coca Cola Classic. New Coke continued to be sold simply as Coke. In 1992, the name was changed to Coke II, in hopes to gain a larger market share, that the new formula had only been able to get 3% of. Things didn't really change and the brand was dropped in 2002. In 2009, Coke removed the term Classic from Coke to further distance it's self from the gross marketing failure of New Coke.

Thanks for the memories. This was a major big deal 28 years ago, but I haven't thought about it in years.

xx

#3 Cappy_Dick, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. GBBlondie

GBBlondie New Member

Wow. Sorry I missed all of that.

I was raised in the south, and live in the mid-Atlantic area now. Up here, everyone wants to know what kind of soda or pop you want, while in the south, people ask "what kind of Coke do you want?," which could be a Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper, or whatever. :lol

5. Meee

Gold Member

I have a glass bottle of Coke next to me right now, bottled in Mexico. It has sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. It tastes quite different from the usual Coke here in the U.S., which to me tastes rancid. My Business professor talked about New Coke. I brought a bottle of the Mexican Coke for him to taste. He said it was somewhat like the original Coke, at least similar enough to bring back memories for him. So if you want to go into a little taste time machine, try Coke bottled in Mexico. Here in the Washington area, it seems to be pretty available.

6. Trond

Gold Member

....as long as it is not coke bagged in Mexico:p

7. Meee

Gold Member

I'm sure Customs does a double-take every time they see a crate of "Coke" from Mexico.

8. GreyGoose

Gold Member

I was 4 so I don't really recall.....

9. biker061

Gold Member

i was too busy smoking home grown weed (mainly to save money) and couldn't afford coke, so new cokle was totally out of the question...:eek:rofl

10. igor

Gold Member

I don't remember that but I do remember "TAB". that was gross!

11. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

I was born in that year...might explain why I've got some failures :ugh

12. lbushwalker

Gold Member

What I do remember about TAB was the advert; gorgeous buxom wench.
    Elle McPherson at age 16 :D

#12 lbushwalker, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  13. lbushwalker

Gold Member

In Australia we did not like the new Coke because unlike the old one it did not make our dull copper pennies quite as pristine shiny after soaking.
    God knows what it does to your innards though!
    Then there was that urban myth of adding aspirin to Coca-cola to get a cheap rush.
    That one dates back to the 50s so maybe they had already changed the formulation by the 60s.

14. GR33DDY

GR33DDY New Member

Yep, new Coke never really took off over here but I do remember drinking cans of my dads "TAB" cola, but I was only 10 so I don't really remember what it tasted like.

I have had coke from many countries and I reckon that (I think it was) Saudi coke tasted the strangest, it's hard to explain, but it just tasted very different. I think my mate still has a bottle of it I'll try and get a photo.

Am I correct in saying that you guys in the U.S have many coke flavours?

15. acemike

acemike Member

TAB was nasty...Mr Pibb was the drink of choice when we went to Texas for the summer..

16. biker061

Gold Member

drinking mr pibb in texas (after all it was invented there) is even more disturbing than ordering a pepsi in atlanta!