OMG!!...Soundgarden, AIC, Cheap Trick news...and news about Mad Season too

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandwich, Jan 20, 2013.

1. sandwich

Gold Member

Yeah I already have a music news thread, but this news deserves its own thread. I just found out about this a few days ago...Soundgarden (my all time favorite), Alice in Chains (another favorite), and Cheap Trick will all perform at one huge venue in May. I live nowhere near there, so we will be road tripping.

Cheap Trick is not a favorite of mine, but who cares?!! The venue looks out over Philly, so wouldn't it be amazing if the Flyers had an at home playoff game while we're out there?!! And, I used to live near Philly, so I would get to see my childhood best friend...the last time I saw her in person was when I was 16. We talk on the phone and such, but this will be so much better.

And how amazing is it that I have a bf that will go that far to see a concert?!!!!...now that's what I call romance!

Okay, here is the info...and for all you Layne fans, I will be back in a few with that news too.

http://concerts.livenation.com/event/02004A2BC98A71DC?artistid=2172&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

2. sandwich

Gold Member

This next bit of news is something I've known about for a while. With the above news that includes AIC, I thought this would be an appropriate place to share it.

A new deluxe version of Mad Season's album, "Above", will be released in April. The reason I am so excited is because it will include previously unreleased tracks. For those who don't know about Mad Season, it is one of those bands that is referred to as a "supergroup". Here is what to expect.....

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - MAD SEASON: Deluxe Edition Of 'Above' Due In April

I pre-ordered the album, but I have not yet downloaded it (free with purchase from Amazon). The original CD is one of two things that got lost when I moved (the other was my football). I like the present AIC, but there will never be anyone like Layne...hope he is at peace.

3. backcheck64

Gold Member

SO you like soft rock. I prefer a little more uptempo. Saliva, Five Finger Death Punch, POD, Hollywood Undead.... And I went to too many concerts in my younger years. I saw Cheap Trick back in the late 90s and they put on a decent show back then.

4. almostthere

Gold Member

I got to see Soundgarden close Lollapalooza in 2010. Great show. Also caught AIC in Mrytle Beach, another awesome show. CT back in the 90s, I think they put on a good show I just dont remember

5. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Yeah, I like AIC, but I found Mad Season to be too soft for my tastes. AIC as it is now isn't too terrible, the new singer does a decent enough job of sounding kind of like Layne that it's not completely lost like when most bands lose/try to replace a lead (Motley Crue, Drowning Pool, etc.)

Not sure what I think of Soundgarden now either, but then I've only heard the one song they released for a movie before they put out a full new album. I need to hear the full album they've put out to see how it compares to the likes of Badmotorfinger or Superunknown.

As far as supergroups go, IMO Temple of the Dog was a good example of how it should be done. They had a great blend and lent to each other, nothing really got lost. I wish they would've kept going.

In either case, glad there's plenty for you to be happy about. :)

6. Maverick

Maverick Member

I live in Seattle, see these guys around all the time. Sound Garden is sounding really good with their new stuff, and I was never a huge AIC fan because I just wasn't.

But have fun!!

7. 12barblues

Gold Member

I like all three of those bands buuuut.... As we say on Sesame Street..." Which of these is not like the others, not like the others ...? " ..cheap trick?

8. OverSinged

Gold Member

lol, I don't know much about the band, but I'm fairly sure it's not any different than Skillet doing the same show as Disturbed.

9. sandwich

Gold Member

Haha....Cheap Trick opened for the Aerosmith concert I went to this past fall.

Everyone....check this out...it's even better than the NJ/Philly gig!!! I just found out about it about five minutes ago....

Rock On The Range 2013 // May 17, 18 & 19 // Columbus, OH

10. 12barblues

Gold Member

Wore out my copy of " live at Budokan.." Long ago.....should pick it up again I suppose....:)

11. sandwich

Gold Member

Hi Mav...I haven't seen you around for a while. So whatcha been up to?