okay anti-depressant help?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Untamed, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

[very sorry if wrong section.. somewhat sex related]

I have started on Citalopram.. Worried about sex drive diminshing.

The Doctor recommended I start on them. It had been a month since I first saw him and showed signs of depression. I told him of my relationship woes and he said that feeling this way is normal after a break up. So at that point I declined taking them as I had hoped the cloud of unhappiness would lift.

Anyway, at the beginning of the week when I saw him although my mood had improved he said it would be best to at least trial the anti-depressant.

It's only been a few days, very little side effects other than being a little more tired than usual... and not being able to get myself off at which I have only attempted once in the 3 days since starting.

Is there anyone here that is familiar with it? and should I be worrying? I know it's a common side effect but is there anyway around it?

#1 Untamed, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. HardRocker

Gold Member

I only know that finding the right antidepressant and adjusting the dosage sometimes takes trial and error and patience.

3. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Alrighty.. well rather than letting myself jump to any conclusions I will continue with this let my mind/body adjust .. until I see him in 2 weeks when I'll be able to discuss with him how I have been feeling. Maybe it's just one of those days.

4. Kermit

Gold Member

took me years before i realized alcohol is the best anti-depressant for me lol

5. Flame

Flame New Member

Could you treat the depression with therapy rather than anti-depressants? That way you would be treating the cause, rather than the effects and there would also be no side effects :)

6. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Well I am going to be getting some counselling here soon. Doctor has reffered me. Maybe when this starts it will help, therefore I could very well be able to come off the anti-depressants. I am hoping that in 2 weeks (when I see the Doctor next) I will know for sure if I want to continue with this as my treatment.

Thank you :)

7. Mittimer

Gold Member

Aww, babe <33

From the time I was 17 until the end of last year (22) I was on a mixture of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. Those first few months when I was 17 were hell for me. It took a lot of trial and error to really find what's best for me. I had a barrage of nasty side effects too while going through them all. Rarely and I do mean RARELY do you get the medication and dosage right the first time around.

As far as anti-depressants, I went through 4 before settling on one that didn't make me into a zombie, or make my head buzz or various other unpleasant things.

In the beginning, I had no motivation to do anything. After the first 6 weeks of being on the medications though and allowing them to get into my system properly, it started to help and everything leveled it's way out.

For you,right now? You've been on them for only a few days? It's highly unlikely that it's killing your sex drive this fast. More psychosomatic then anything most likely. The tiredness? Yeah, you'll stay like that for a couple weeks. From my experience though, it didn't kill my sex drive at all, just took a good while for my body to really level out.

*Hugs*
    Things will get better, babe. Don't miss any appointments with your doctor and if you start to feel that this medication isn't the right one for you.

<33

8. Kermit

Gold Member

feel lucky if they work for any of y'all, they were all placebos to me

9. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Hey, Kermit? She's looking for support man. I doubt you mean to be a downer, but your post kinda comes off that way.

10. Mittimer

Gold Member

Post(s)
    *nods*

11. Kermit

Gold Member

okay ;) feel free to remove it, i would remove it myself if i could

12. backcheck64

Gold Member

Fairly heavy exercise has been proven to be very effective in treating depression and it actually increases sex drive. An houir or so a day. Two fold benefit, helps with the depression and you get healthy at the same time, more energy, better mental health, better outlook.

13. igor

Gold Member

I have been taking Fluoxotene (generic Prozac) for about a year. I can't say enough good things about it. It took me from an occasional suicidal feeling to a pretty good "don't-give-a-shit" attitude. My daughter has been on it for 4 years herself.

As for sexual side-effects, I am taking 3 other drugs that also have sexual side-effects so I don't know if this one has added any more to that or not.

14. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Alcohol in small amounts is a stimulant but in larger volume a serious depressant.
    I must love being depressed :)

15. Kermit

Gold Member

theres emotional depression and nervous system depression lol different things hehe

16. lbushwalker

Gold Member

One time doc put me on some stuff, probably Prozac as was having job redundancy issues. Felt "happy" being treated as Sad Sack so took one tab looking at myself in the bathroom mirror.
    Saw a strange dude looking back, accusing look suggesting you weak as piss.
    Threw the rest of the pack and repeat scripts in the bin (trash for some folks).
    Happily reverted to self medication; rough red and to this day happy as Larry.
    Sorry Untamed maybe not a story you want to read right now :ugh
    Hear Kiwi beer same as guy in the mirror suggesting of me ;)

17. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Thank you for the advice and support Mitty *hugs*

Silly me thinking that it could effect my sex drive this early. All in the head I presume. :p

18. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Believe me I have done plenty of self-medicating with alcohol. Too much actually.. From when I was 13, I learned that drinking made me feel better when I was down.. What did I see in the mirror.. someone that was empty not worth living. I suppose I'm over thinking like that.

I like beer A LOT, but I think I'll put it on the back burner until I am feeling better.

19. Sigh

Gold Member

I'm been on citolapram only for a short period. Didn't feel any different but that's probably because I have had depression for around 9 years now. Anti-deressants take weeks to take effect so I think you have to give your body time to adjust to it.

Prozac was deadly for me. ESPECIALLY when I came off it. I was the most suicidal I ever felt...whist on it i was careless making decisions without thinking (and regretting them!) i did and said a lot of things that i'd never normally do...it changed my personality subtly...

It's about finding the right anti depressant for you. BUT the only way they can work effectively is by combining it with therapy. I wish you all the best :)

20. awakened

awakened New Member

With your case of depression it is probably a good idea to go ahead with therapy also. I never really got into that myself but mine was a chemical imbalance in the brain so med was really goo dfor me. i have had to change my meds Sooooooooooooo many times in the last 10-12 yrs. Some because of the side effects you mention. Not being able to orgasm was a huge reason to get off a few i have taken, others on the other hand made sex very cool and psychodelic lol. I always had to be put on the highest doeses possible which takes time to get up too, only give it two weeks on the medicine and if still nothing in the sexual feeling has come back then call the doctor. I did and he was very understanding. Did not want me to get depressed over no orgasms hahaha
    Anyway, feel free to pm me if you have ANY questions