Oh ... Big Brother is knocking

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AnonymousOne, Jan 17, 2008.

1. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

How can anyone even hope to examine even a fraction of the internet traffic we have today? That's like saying they need to inspect every grand of sand on every beach on the entire planet because some of that sand might currently be used for terrorism.

On second thought...maybe this article was copied from the Onion or something...

3. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

You would be surprised at the power of a CRAY supercomputer. They're the US government ... they can afford four or five more.

Plus I'm worried about the fact that they actually want to POLICE the web. Does that not bother anyone else?

4. Dreama

Gold Member

It's pretty fucked up, yeah.

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I'm worried but not at all surprised. The internet is one of the, if not the only truly democratic places on this planet. As long as you know where to look, you can do and get just about anything on the internet. Of course that scares the shit out of the government. The last thing they want is people having complete freedom. They don't want us to be "free" at all. In fact, they essentially want us to give up our freedoms in order to safeguard our freedoms. Yep. It makes no sense but that's exactly what they want.

All I can say is enjoy it while you can folks.

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

... and people call me an alarmist. *scoffs*

7. sarah_rslp

sarah_rslp New Member

and a little paranoid.:)

The internet like every other communication medium requires regulation. Else Terrorists paedophiles and various criminals could take advantage of it. It's good to be wary of new regulations but there is such a thing as the common good.

8. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

And...

...we know who you...err...they, THEY know who you are. :dgrin

We...they know what you've typed. They know what you're wearing. They know what web sites you've been looking at. W...they know all about that thing in Mexico you should have never written your best friend about although it did sound like fun to most of u...them.

Muhahahahahhhhaahahah!!!!!!

9. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

Oh for crying...

...out loud. We...err...they, uh...there's 6 of 'em down at FDA alone. You should see the new ones, SuperDuperRobertCray, over at Ft. Meade. Why, that sumbitch will tell you what you're gonna have for lunch. On your 50th birthday. That is if it existed. Which it doesn't. Serious.

:dgrin

10. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Right ... because self-regulation NEVER works. :eyes

No there is no such thing as the common good. Look at people as individuals and not in aggregate and the very idea of a 'common good' falls apart.

Oh and perhaps for LP I could quote something:
    Hmmm unfettered and warrantless ... yep ... totally not a violation of privacy.

11. Bluesy

Gold Member

12. sarah_rslp

sarah_rslp New Member

You know I'm always really sceptical of arguements that portray governments as conspiring against their own citizens (or subjects :) ). They may seem abstract to some people but threats like terrorists, paedophiles or just basic criminals do exist. The internet is a wonderful tool but it also enables unsavoury people to conspire against society as a whole, and that needs to be protected against.

Look I value my privacy as much as anyone, the idea of someone tracking all the stuff I've posted in this forum back to me makes me fell ill. But I'm not doing anything illegal or immoral and I expect my government not to do anything that casually violates my privacy.

I don't know anything about the details of the original post. But maybe people should give their governments the benefit of the doubt, maybe its just reasonably intelligent and decent people trying to enact laws to keep everyone safe.

13. Dreama

Gold Member

I don't know that the NSA having unfettered access to our internet doings without any regard for our personal privacy is exactly helping the common good. It even says in the article that they're using facts deemed inaccurate as a basis for this. That's crazy.

14. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

The fact is that the U.S. government was electronically tapping into random phone calls at least 40 years ago. I won't go into details about how I know that, but I do KNOW it. I'm not aware of it ever affecting any individuals. The purpose was to piece together the gathered information to see what sensitive information foreign governments could learn by doing the same thing -- particularly, at that time and place, Soviets. I would bet that it's still being done today -- phone lines and internet as well.

15. boringsafetyguy

boringsafetyguy New Member

Or write to your elected representative(s) telling them you don't want any internet censorship.
    Organize internet projects that push the envelope and challenge any government threats and gain publicity for freedom.
    Keep an eye on laws that are passed.

(Oh great! Now the FBI will probably click on those keywords on Google, come across this post, and open a filing CABINET on the whole forum. Me and my big mouth.)

And realize that if your country ever takes away that freedom, you can still organize and fight to try and get it back.

Puss in boots, you and your Nordic gloom and doom.

But I think we are living in a charmed age (in Industrialized nations) of freedom and prosperity, which could very well vanish from natural disaster, war, anything. And then we won't have to worry about our internet freedoms, cause all the electricity lines will be down and the rain will be pouring.

16. boringsafetyguy

boringsafetyguy New Member

Spruill, 61, (Democrat) said the indignity of the "droopy drawers" debate wouldn't deter him. He said he won't hesitate to bring a set of $24.95 trailer testicles with him for a legislative show-and-tell.

"I'm going to do it," Spruill told a handful of reporters after Tuesday's House session adjourned. "I'm going to bring them out here and show them to you till they tell me to stop."

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Imagine the dirty campaign that his REPUBLICAN opponent will be able to run next election:

Flyer to voter
    Dear voter, did you know Spruill came to the legislature every day with an obscene oversized sculpture of a phallus and placed it on his desk for the whole House to view throughout every session? Do we need more immoral sexual deviation like this?

SPRUILL's counter propaganda flyer:
    It's true that I came to work everyday and placed an oversized phallic sculpture on the floor of the state legislature, but ...
    I only did it so that no one else WOULD.
    vote Spruill, for another term. And we'll get those phallae banned from car windows yet.

17. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

If they wanna do something constructive.
    Why don't they forbid Yahoo from repeatedly trying to install
    their browser on My computer, It seems like I spend an hour a week
    getting rid if that bum-bitch.

Hiker

18. slamd097

slamd097 New Member

It isn't all that hard really. It is broken down to catch words. Or scripting that would raise the eye brow.

for instance, when you log in, you see on some instances...

login:eek:k/password=68ijK89a redir=forum homepage. If they set the sniffer to password=***** then they will capture the encryped password. run it thru decryption, and they have your name and password. Next up is all the emails. They already have been going thru all the emails. remember the steroid busts. some of those guys were on secured email, and yet some how, the feds were showing up with printed emails from thier account. so much for privacy and secure. This is the reason I am getting all my certs in computers in the security sector. So I can knock big brother on his ass...

19. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

It is a complete violation of privacy, and who the hell is paying for it? You got it, we are. There goes our right to free speech.....