Odd marriage proposals?

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by Joe, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

We were watching something on TV last night about a marriage proposal and my wife says, "at least she got a ring," so I started wondering how many people had (or made) rather odd marriage proposals. Here's mine:

I had a job to do one afternoon at the foot of the mountains nearest us, and my sweetie came along to help. We finished early and decided to have dinner at our favorite area restaurant before driving home.

Sweetie and I had been living together for a couple years and she was starting to "hint" that she wanted to tie the knot, but I hadn't bought a ring yet. But as we sat on the deck watching the sun set behind the mountains and waiting for our food, I thought this would be the perfect place to pop the question, if only I had a ring.

So I took the spoon from my silverware setting, and hiding it under the table cloth, I bent the handle into a circle small enough to just fit over my pinky finger. I got down on one knee, took her hand and asked her to marry me. When she said yes I slipped the spoon over her finger and told her I'd be happy to replace it with a diamond ring later if she preferred. (She did, and I did.)

When she jokes about the "engagement spoon" I gave her, I have to point out that it took a lot of work to shape that spoon exactly right. It's not like I picked up a spoon from the table and said, "Hey, if I give you this stolen spoon will you marry me?" It took work and creativity. And in the end she got two rings -- one that she could eat soup with if necessary.

I'm sure some of you have good stories to tell. Let's hear 'em.

2. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Oh me me me I do!

We had been dating several months, and he asked what I saw myself doing for the rest of my life. That scared the shit out of me, so I locked myself in his bedroom and made a collage of all the things I wanted out of life with a partner. I framed it and gave it to him, and it hangs in our bedroom today.

Soon after, his birthday rolled around. We went to dinner with good friends, and had cake and the whole nine yards. We went back to his apartment, and I was sitting on the floor, listening to music, and enjoying my beer-buzz. He put in a song he wrote, sang, and recorded (he is a musician), and as it played, I didn't get it. Then he handed me a huge box of Cracker Jacks, and asked me to open them. I threw them across the room, stating I was full from dinner. He then asked me to just get out the prize ( I love cracker jack surprises for some odd reason), so I did. I pulled out a baggie with a ring box, which I threw across the room from sheer fear, as the song played which I finally realized was intended to ask me to spend my life with him. Once I got my bearings, I opened the ring, screamed and cried, said yes, kissed him, then called my parents. The best thing is that he asked me to marry him on his birthday so I could be a gift for the rest of our lives. I love my husband!!!!

3. BassDude

BassDude New Member

See? She's always been fiesty!

And yes, my wife is an extremely intelligent woman...she *gets it* when I give her something symbolic, or ask for something symbolic. I love my wife too.

BD

4. igor

Gold Member

That is really neat, Joe.....:)

Nothing really odd about our situation except for the fact that I am now working for the institution my wife was attending as a student when I proposed to her (sitting in my car on the street in front of the administration building).
    I proposed to her in 1961 and have just put in 20 years working there.

All I can say is where does the time go, and enjoy every moment that you can because it goes by so quickly.

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

Me: I'm pregnant.

Him: Oh, I....er.....

Me: I just want you to know that whether you want to be part of his life or not, I'm keeping him.

Him: I suppose we could get married.

Me: OK

Him: Can I go to baseball practice now?

--------------------------

Can't you just feel the love and romance in the air?

There was no ring, 2 years after we married, he offered to get my one and I told him I'd rather have the Appaloosa mare I'd seen in the classifieds. I had the horse for a year and the man for 10.

Whoda thunk it?

6. Dreama

Gold Member

Ours wasn't that odd, but I think it's sweet. My engagement ring was for my birthday, and it was the best/most beautiful present ever. We ate cake with my family, celebrated, and then everyone watched a Pink Floyd in concert DVD. It was a great day. I had to take him to the Moody Blues in concert just to feel like I was giving him something just as awesome for his birthday, and though I love the Moody Blues, it could never match the present I got.