Nudity on TV?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by fothermucker, Jun 14, 2010.

1. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

As we all know, the human form is a beautiful thing. The thing I have noticed, is that in the USA, nudity is not allowed on TV, except for the Premium Networks, like Showtime and the like. While there is certain subject matter I wouldn't want my daughter to see, I don't understand the reason for nudity not being allowed. I have seen TV shows, usually when insomnia gets the best of me, about very humorous commercials. I have noticed that other countries seem to be open about nudity in commercials. I don't know for sure about this, but the shows have sure made it look that way. So I was curious, is there a good logical reason that nudity isn't allowed on TV (like maybe the fact that we all know writers may try to push the envelope too far), or is this country really just that prude that we can't stand the sight of nudity on TV? What do you guys think?

Edit: I also wanted to add that if I saw a commercial with a very nice set of bare tits bouncing around in the Rockies, chances are, I would be very tempted to go out and buy some beer.:D

#1 fothermucker, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. igor

Gold Member

The reason is called the FCC.

3. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

The FCC has to pull these regulations out of somewhere. I somehow don't think that they just sit there and say "this sounds good, lets make this a new regulation" without some kind of reasoning behind it. Just trying to understand why this country is so strict about it, while other countries don't seem to see a problem with it.

4. Barbwire

Gold Member

If anything, I think there should be tighter controls regarding things of a violent or sexual nature on TV. Really, some of the shit that's on during the time that used be called family hour (8-9pm) makes me sick and it bothers me that my young son is exposed to such crap by accident when I'm not quick enough on the remote.

Nudity belongs on late at night and only on HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and the like.

5. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

Violent and sexual I can agree with, but there are times when nudity could be permitted, and not be in a sexual or violent manner. I watch a lot of the Discovery Health Channel (when I'm not working), and it is quite distracting seeing the results of some of the procedures blurred out. In a sense, I watch it to learn about some of the procedures, and how medicine has evolved over the years.

6. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I disagree CL. All TVs have V chips, and all shows have ratings. I think parents who don't want their kids watching shows that involve nudity or violence, they should have to take the 3 minutes to set the parental controls, but for the rest of us, we should be able to watch tv with all of the violence and nudity that we want.

I'm a horror movie buff, and I can't watch movies on the tv because they're stripped down.

I'm against censorship in all of its forms. It should be up to parents to censor things for children, not the federal government.

7. Barbwire

Gold Member

Ninja, we already do have parental controls set up on his TV, but if we use the same controls on the TV that we all watch, it blocks out the most inane of TV shows so that we have to constantly punch the code in. Also, not all shows are rated. Check it out if you don't believe me.

Fothermucker, I still wouldn't want my son coming into the room to find that on the Health Channel they are showing genitalia, be it in a scientific manner or not.

#7 Barbwire, Jun 14, 2010
  8. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

I think I have to agree with ninja on this one. Although I do agree that not everything has ratings. But most of what should, does. Should it really be up to the government to decide whether or not I can see the results of a breast reduction without them being blurred out? The other countries that allow it don't seem to have a problem with leaving it up to the parents, but it seems in this country, we expect the government to regulate something so that we know what is OK to teach our children about. Sorry if I might seem to be ranting about it a little bit, but I don't like censorship. And also, I would rather see my daughter learn about something by asking questions, instead of from some teacher at a school.

9. Barbwire

Gold Member

Consider the can of worms open. ;)

Oh, and btw, I had a breast reduction done and took plenty of pics. I used to have them posted here and I might consider showing them to you if it's something you are truly interested in.

10. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

Actually, I am quite interested. I am in no way trying to be a doctor, or have any desire to enter the medical field, I just find some of the procedures interesting. I have seen shows on tummy tucks, repair of deviated septims, and the like. To be honest, I think I would be more worried about my daughter seeing a liposuction procedure than a pair of breasts on TV. But, as with anything, we all have different views on things.

They do say variety is the spice of life, though.:D

11. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

But don't you have to punch in those codes anyway? The V chip just filters things, all that would be needed is to add another filter where a show has to tell the chip beforehand that it contains nudity, the chip then blocks it automatically.

And all network shows have ratings. Cable stations are required to have ratings, but most do.

The other problem is that what is obscene is relative. There was an uproar in the south after this happened up on Will and Grace.
    [​IMG]
    but none of us regular people consider that the least bit obscene.

12. Barbwire

Gold Member

I wish some of the over 40 crowd would chime in. Actually, calling it a "crowd" is grossly overestimating the amount of members in that age group here on SF.

It sucks that the majority of our well-seasoned members have left the site. It's a very lopsided demographic we have going on here.

13. igor

Gold Member

Well, somebody has to decide what is indecent / obscene and the FCC commissioners have done that here. But things are changing slowly. I remember back when saying "damn" on the air was a no-no. I am not up with the latest rules - it has been some years since I have been in broadcasting, but I believe that cable / satellite / subscription services all have different limitations. IN any event, if certain measures are taken so that only certain subscribers can view something, then even x-rated stuff can be aired. For example, in the 80's there were quite a few broadcast stations airing x-rated movies, but they were all scrambled and you needed a special adapter to see them.

Just putting a "rating" on a program will not keep people from seeing it. There has to be a method of screening it at the receiving end

#13 igor, Jun 14, 2010
  14. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

I do remember this technology from the 80's, although my parents never had the adapter (that I knew of, anyway:p). I think the big thing is, that there is so much on TV nowadays that I would much rather my daughter not see. Shows about rape (Law and Order SVU comes to mind, even though it is one of my favorites), or even the shows where murder is a constant theme. What about those shows on MTV that glorify teenage pregnancy? Or those shows like Jackass, where kids see a few morons being completely stupid, and trying to mimic their stunts? I think this kind of garbage that we are seeing now is much worse than a little bit of tasteful nudity. Even some of the garbage on the Disney Channel seems to be getting into more adult humor.

15. cbrmale

Gold Member

I have noticed from American shows on Australian television, that contextual nudity is not allowed. It is strange to view a sex scene, with the woman wearing a bra (as if anyone would do that).

The OP was about nudity in other countries, and this is quite common. I know Australia best, as I live here, and topless is allowable after 7.30pm, and full nudity after 9.30pm. As I enjoy watching foreign language films, or more precisely most English language films don't do it for me anymore, it's essential that full nudity be allowed. Otherwise, very few international films could be screened!

A popular series here has been Underbelly, which is based on three real-life crime events. With bad-boy criminals go the women who are attracted to those criminals, and the sex that follows. And sex means the human body, including genitals. And that's what's filmed, and shown.

My children are grown-up now, but when younger I would much rather them see nudity than mindless sanitised violence. And, in my opinion, too many US shows and films drift towards mindless sanitised violence. Which is probably why they don't do it for me anymore.

16. HardRocker

Gold Member

Since a large number of American shows are available at online sites provided by the networks, many of those from other parts of the world will be available soon, if not already. I'll try a search for Underbelly and see what turns up.

I am guessing that the TV and computer in the near future won't really be separate devices anymore.

Glad to see you back, cbrmale.

17. cbrmale

Gold Member

Underbelly is an excellent series, and in the second series in particular, the sexual attractions were a major part of a real-life story. Terrence Clark met and had a passionate affair with a kindergarten teacher, who subsequently played a major part in smuggling his drugs into Australia. He later had an affair with a beautiful (in real life and on the TV series) lawyer, who ended up being disbarred.

The third series of Underbelly, which I haven't watched, is set in Kings Cross Sydney in the days before prostitution became legal, and seems to be about the control of the sex and drug trades there. So I expect the sex and nudity will feature strongly, against the backdrop of prostitutes and strip clubs and the like. In Australia, stripping ends up totally nude, which is quite something when you're there (especially as the strippers are uniformly gorgeous, but I digress). I intend to buy the DVD for Underbelly series 3.

There is a lesson in series 3, in that once the sex industry was de-criminalised in New South Wales, all the organised crime left it. I would like to see the same thing happen to currently illegal drugs, or at least some of them.

When I worked in the city centre of Melbourne many years ago, we sometimes went to a strip club for a few drinks after work. I then used to go home and ravish my wife... Ravish her, maybe while fantasising.

18. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Yes, I agree, Underbelly is an excellent series.....but having seen series 3 it's more to do with the police corruption, nightclub/ drug trade side of Kings Cross....there's still a fair bit of nudity but prostitution is more of a offshoot.

Good to see you back cbr........:)