Nude men vs. women

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by AlexPrince, Feb 26, 2011.

1. AlexPrince

AlexPrince Member

Photos:
    I saw a thread earlier this week discussing as to why female nude photography is always positively commented on, seen as beautiful while male nude photography is seen to be perverted, unlikable, and all in all unwanted. This got me thinking. And I've been thinking about this for a while.

I run a blog on tumblr that posts nude photography, male and female. And try as I might, I always have trouble finding artistic nudes of men, even when I search directly for "nude men", I get females. The internet is full of naked women, but basically no men. And if there ARE men, they're either hidden in the shadows (no crotch showing, no face showing), or they're not fully naked.

To be honest, after seeing at least a 1000 photographs of nude women in the past couple of weeks, I found it quite boring, and even repulsive to see the same poses, the same-looking women all the time. (You know, the hour glass figure, perfect skin, etc.). So I started looking for "imperfect" more "natural" looking photographs. Again, hard to find.

So here are the questions, discussion topics.
    • Again, why is it that male nudity is not as celebrated by the society as much as female nudity?
    • Why is it that nude men are either faceless or crotchless? (focusing mainly on the abs?)
    • the above question, and also why is that female nude photography focuses mainly on the crotch? (a lot of the times, breasts are taken almost entirely out of picture, or are a minute part of the photograph)
    • why is it that female nudes feature only "perfect" women, while most people (from what I know) love to see artistic nudes of any women? (overweight women get much much love)
    • What is your preference? Male or female? (I'm not asking sexuality, I'm only asking about photography)
    • What is your favorite part of the male/female body? and why?

I'd like to point out that I'm looking for creative answers. And that for myself, preferring women in life, I prefer to look at nude men since I'm just sick of nude women.
    And power to all the users here that posted their pictures on the forum! I know it takes a lot to do that! :) :)
  2. Meee

Meee Gold Member

Photos:
    Something tells me you have the filter on when you do Google searches for "nude men" and so on. Having the filter on is the default setting, so go to search settings on Google and turn the filter off. I don't think you'll find all the crotches hidden in shadow after that.

Besides, you don't just want to use searches to find the more artistic pictures. If you do a Google search, the popular things are shown in your results first. Well, the popular things are probably not so artistic.

3. HardRocker

HardRocker Gold Member

• Again, why is it that male nudity is not as celebrated by the society as much as female nudity? Because men are more visually stimulated; women are more cerebrally stimulated; women are generally considered artistic examples of beauty (possibly because more men get their visual stimulation).
    • Why is it that nude men are either faceless or crotchless? (focusing mainly on the abs?) I don't know.
    • the above question, and also why is that female nude photography focuses mainly on the crotch? (a lot of the times, breasts are taken almost entirely out of picture, or are a minute part of the photograph)I don't know that either. I prefer to see a whole woman in a photo, from head to toe.
    • why is it that female nudes feature only "perfect" women, while most people (from what I know) love to see artistic nudes of any women? (overweight women get much much love) This is changing in the videos I see, so maybe it is spreading into still photography too.
    • What is your preference? Male or female? (I'm not asking sexuality, I'm only asking about photography) Female
    • What is your favorite part of the male/female body? and why? For females, I like the face, eyes, lips and expressions; the neck, chest, and breasts draw my kissing desires; the torso and belly are a continuation of that; the pubic area and vagina... goes without saying; legs are beautiful sculptures that take you from bottom to top like a highway to heaven; feet are things of architectural beauty in their complexity.
  4. Trond

Trond Gold Member

Photos:
    I generally agree completely with Hardrocker here.

On top of those general trends, there are some strong cultural differences. Can I pull out my ancient Greeks again? Good :). The ancient Greeks really appreciated the male nude, but even among them, the first female nude (Aphrodite by Praxiteles) was a massive hit (well, it was at least the first really famous one).

By the way, the male torso as a separate work of art may also have originated from ancient sculpture. During the Renaissance, they dug out Greek and Roman statues which were partially broken by the elements and vandalism. Very often, the penis and head were missing, but people like Michelangelo still liked making sketches from such pieces, effectively making the torso a legitimate work of art on its own.
  5. SlaveBoy

SlaveBoy New Member

I can say without reservations that if your fed up with the stereotypical female shapes of models and photography....have you seen the Suicide girls? they are all shapes, sizes, and race, and it is definitely beauty redefined as they say.

Even if you explore Model Mayhem they have every size model and age and there beauty is captured through the lens of a camera.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,
    nothing further from the truth.
  6. AlexPrince

AlexPrince Member

Photos:
    No, I don't have the filter on. And I usually check deviantART first. However, I simply noticed a trend.
  7. AlexPrince

AlexPrince Member

Photos:
    The penis were also cut off by the catholic church, a little side note.
  8. AlexPrince

AlexPrince Member

Photos:
    My photography studio did a shoot for a suicide girl :) I love that stuff, much more open, and new. Less traditional