NO!!!!! my pc is dead

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by allgirlschool, Sep 18, 2010.

1. allgirlschool

allgirlschool New Member

its completely dead, everytime i switch it on i get nothing but a blank screen, one minute its working and the next its completely dead, oh well, im not really that pissed off about it, i have been out most of today and the last couple of days and i hadnt touched my pc until a little while ago, so i didnt even notice it until then

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

Ok, I'll be the first to say it. "Good"

But what are you using to get online?

3. allgirlschool

allgirlschool New Member

at the moment im borrowing a pc, i just use it from time to time for about 10 minutes

4. NedF

Verified Gold Member

Thats funny because I had something very similar happen today. I booted up my old desktop only to find it would not switch on the monitor. I logged into the PC from my laptop using VPN and everything looked fine except for the fact that it was defaulting to a nonexistent TV monitor. I could not get it to switch back so i used VPN to get through a video driver reinstall - then rebooted. That seem to fix the problem and I am actually using the desktop PC now!

5. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

This is usually a very simple fix. As a computer technician (I have a thread showing off my setup in the Beanery and Lounge section:p), I have seen it numerous times. Can you give some more details about the computer at all? Things like what the hardware is (especially video adapter), and what version of Windows it runs, as these pieces of information will help me to help you.:D

When you first power on the computer, does the power light come on, and the hard drive activity light start flashing? Is there any video signal going to the monitor at all? If the monitor turns on like it should, and you have either a POST (Power On Self Test) screen or a logo screen, like you would see on a Dell, or HP/Compaq, then we know the video is OK. In that case, start spamming the F8 key as much as possible, until you have a black screen with white text. There will be an option for "Safe Mode", which loads Windows with the bare minimum it needs to run. It is important that you do not choose the "Safe Mode With Networking" option. Choose that option, and when the desktop loads, go to the other computer, and google a program called Driver sweeper. Run that program on the victim computer from a flash drive or CD-R, and check all entries that say nVidia or ATI (may be Intel, but I need system specs to know for sure), and then click the button that says remove or delete. Reboot the computer, and start spamming the F8 key again, and go back to "Safe Mode". Go back to the other computer, and download the correct video drivers for your computer, and again install them from a flash drive or CD-R on the victim computer. Once it is done doing it's thing, reboot the computer, and let it start Windows normally. You should be good to go at this point. If not, you may be looking at a new video card or possibly a new monitor.:tup

6. allgirlschool

allgirlschool New Member

i might need a new graphics card, but my pc has had so many problems its hardly worth spending any more time and money to fix it, looks like i'll just have to wait til i get a new pc

7. HardRocker

Gold Member

Sounds like you could have gotten yours to light up if you had booted into safe mode and reloaded the driver, if you hadn't been able to get into it the other way. I wonder what corrupted the driver.

8. NedF

Verified Gold Member

Well in an effort to keep my post readable I left out he fact that i did reboot and hit F8 then chose the VGA mode, but while loading windows popped up a box that said some thing like "You are not in the best video mode would you like us to screw it up for you again? (Yes/No)" I stupidly choose Yes and the monitor turned off again.

Thats when I decided it would be faster to use the laptop and VPN to reload the drivers - which just happen to be the most current available for my VGA Card from Nvidia.

I don't use the desktop much anymore but tend to leave it left on for days or weeks at a time. My guess is I got a Windows update that wanted to reboot and something screwed up in the process. I bet it was because I had the monitor unplugged for a few days (because i last used it to dual monitor on my work laptop). If windows did an update or reboot while the monitor was unplugged it might have assumed i used a different video source and made some changes to my settings?

9. HardRocker

Gold Member

I've been ignoring Windows updates for two weeks now. I guess I'll go ahead and install them. I've been lucky and never had a problem I knew was caused by the updates. Not since I've been using 7 anyway. I think an update hosed my XP search function a couple of years ago. I finally said Fuck it and installed Everything Search. It works great. Seven's search is really good.

10. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

Just before the 7 RC1 came out, I was constantly switching back and forth between my old copy of XP and Vista. I was actually getting ready to switch to Linux for good, but 7 was a huge hit with the other forum I visit, so figured I would give it a try. Now I just run Linux in a virtual machine.:D

I try not to ignore Windows update too much, I just don't let it install drivers. Even though the nVidia drivers on WU come from nVidia, if I feel it's necessary to update them, I will do it manually, through the method I posted above. Other than that, I only have a couple of problems, which I am having a hard time solving. I keep getting a message about 3 particular updates that absolutely refuse to install, and for some reason, the .msi installer package doesn't quit running when an installation completes (listed as msiexec in Process Explorer). Other than those 2 minor set backs, I have found Windows 7 to be faster than XP (much better hardware scaling), with the stability of Linux.

11. HardRocker

Gold Member

I repeatedly had Acrobat updates(not Win updates) complete installation but then generate a fail warning, and reset to the previous version. This went on until I got tired of it and picked through until I found a file in one of the Adobe folders that was supposed to have elevated access but it didn't. I just had to manually change its privilege and it has worked fine ever since. Maybe you have something like that.

The only problem I have with Seven-32 bit is whenever I use my optical drive, usually with a DVD, my Explorer.exe crashes. Sometimes it restarts itself, and other times I have to restart it. I have never figured out what is causing it. I tried disabling all shell extensions, uninstalling non Microsoft programs, and lots of other things, with no luck. It doesn't interfere with anything, since once I get the DVD running, recording or whatever, it continues to work fine until the next time I load a disk. So I just live with it.

12. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

I am kind of starting to feel like we might be hijacking and derailing AGS's thread here a bit. maybe we should take other avenues with this conversation.

AGS, I don't feel that a failed video card is really cause to replace the whole system, unless it is seriously dated (Athlon XP+ or Pentium 4 or older), it has serious hardware problems, and the like. If you are having software or Operating System problems, in most cases it can be fixed with a format and reinstall. If you feel that you need help with something like that, let me know. I would be more than happy to help you along the way via YIM, Windows Live Messenger, or Google Talk. Also, if you are having troubles finding a video card that will work with your system, I can help you with that as well.:tup

13. HardRocker

Gold Member

Oh well, maybe I misunderstood. I thought he had resolved the problem to his satisfaction.