No Electricity

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by teamster145, Jan 24, 2007.

1. teamster145

Gold Member

In case anyone noticed I have not been here in a while. I live in Missouri and we got a huge Ice storm and I have been without power for 12 days and counting. I finally brought my computer to my Mom's place which is where we are staying until we get power back. Anyway I am back....kinda

#1 teamster145, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  2. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

Wow! Welcome back... kinda.. lol ;)

12 days!??!!?!? WTF?! That's awful!
    Hang in there ;) nice to have you back! :)

3. teamster145

Gold Member

there was 75000 out in springfield and many more in the country where I live

4. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

I cant believe the weather you guys have had lately.......

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Something similar happened to me when I was living in Eugene, OR. A hurricane blew in from the coast and knocked out the power in the entire city and blew all the signs out. I was at work at the time and my boss and I looking at something on the computer when suddenly we heard this tremendous crash. The wind had ripped part of the roof off the building and water started pouring in like someone had turned on a firehose. I don't know where all that water came from but it must have built up in the roof after countless rainy days. Anyway, the city was able to restore power to the main part of the city within a day, but I lived kind of out in the country. It took about eight days to get the power turned back on. I had to go and stay with my dad.

6. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Good Grief!!!! 12 Days?? Glad you have somewhere you can go to function, that's for sure!

It's amazing how 'rough' life can get, when you are without power for an extended period of time. Hurricane Isabel slammed through here in 2003, and we went without power for 3 whole weeks. We didn't have potble water for about 10 days.

The first few days were fun... kind of like an 'adventure'. Cooking outdoors for every meal... making coffee on the gas grill... But it got old real fast!

7. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Teamster, I feel for ya, guy, and I hope that they get your electricity back on real soon! What I would respectfully suggest doing is to contact the Missouri Public Service Commission at http://www.psc.mo.gov/info-con-consumer-services.asp and by email, by telephone and by mail start "pitchin' a major bitchin'". I'd tell 'em exactly where my house is located, exactly how long I had been without electricity and that I need it back on NOW. I'd do the same with the electric company handling your neighborhood. I would repeat the process at least every day and even twice a day until they get the electricity back on at your house. I would then file a complaint with the Missouri Public Service Commission, after the electricity is back on, DEMANDING that they "harden" local power lines against storms and make efforts to make sure that the electricity stays on short of a direct nuclear attack! I'd suggest also contacting your state ad local legislators as well as your municipal government and complain mightily! Tell 'em that "you're their huckleberry!" I used to work for a state regulatory agency dealing with such matters. These utility companies CAN and SHOULD take steps to arrange for an uninterupted flow of electricity. Without going into detail, there are a lot of ways in which they "slack off" and "cut corners" and their customers need to raise unmitigated HELL every time the electricity goes off! If you "pitch a bitch" every time the power goes off or even blinks, they will start to prioritize your neigborhood to keep your electricity on in order to keep you happy so that you don't bitch about them.

Rose mentioned Hurricane Isabel coming through our area in 2003. Of course, out where I live, in da boonies, we have well water so water wasn't a problem, however, as I drove through our neighborhood, the next morning, I saw power poles broken and wires dangling and I thought that the power might come back on in a few weeks. However, during the storm, I had used my cell phone to call the local utility, telling them that my lights were out IMMEDIATELY after they went out and started pitchin' my bitch (pardon my expression). Amazingly, the lights were back on in around EIGHT HOURS (8 hours). Of course, I praised our local utility to the regulatory agency and, when they do a good job, they should be praised, however, when the power goes off, they should know that "Teamster's gonna be after our ass if we don't get his lights on quick!" Glad you all are at least safe and warm! Hang in there!

8. Bluesy

Gold Member

I noticed! Glad you were able to take refuge with someone...Take care, and I hope you get to move home again real soon :)

9. Bella

Gold Member

OMG!! Hope you see some sunshine soon!! :)
    ~Bella

10. ryan2l

ryan2l New Member

wow i thoguht the 5 days i was out was bad in dec.

11. teamster145

Gold Member

Yeh well it sucks but they had power companies in here from everywhere some even from NY. I got mine back on today but still about 6900 out in Spfd. It sucks but getting better and like you guys said at least I had somewhere when the temp got down in the single digits for a couple of nights.