New years resolution and disappointments

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Woody81, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Woody81

Woody81 Member

So, at the gym this morning after our workout. My buddies and some of the other regulars made some comments that it seems like all the resolutioners have dropped like flies. Like they typically do this and last week. Now usually there's one or two that stick it out and meet their goals, but this year... zero so far. Even the lady at the front desk who works all day and remembers everybody said that no one is sticking around in the afternoon either. And no one has flip flopped from AM to PM either.

I could understand if we were a stand off crowd, but we're not. Very low key place. All walks of life and everyone is extremely friendly. Ready to help if someone needs help. Hell there's 3-4 of us that act as psuedo personal trainers for the month of Janurary. It's the YMCA for crying out loud, not your typical intimidating gym. I have friends at other gyms and they say the same thing.

I know life gets in the way of a lot of things. But I hate it when people can't meet their goals. Kinda disappointing. I'm hoping that some off them can/will get back in the swing of things and make it back.

Any of y'all make a resolution, past or present and didn't follow through with it?

2. Bretright

Bretright New Member

I have always found that if you are serious about resolutions, you need to write them down. People who write them down and look at their list regularly, have a much better chance of acheiving them. Also, if you do not intend on trying then dont bother telling anyone about them. This year my goals are mostly financial in nature.

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

A passing date on a calendar like January 1st is a fine reminder, but I bet most people don't think it out ahead of time. To really make a change takes planning about how you are going to follow through with it, and where or who you can fall back on for support when the going gets tough. What sorts of things are you going to use as distractions to help avoid the habitual behavior. How will it affect your lifestyle. Research how other people have broken similar habits. You can't wait until the ball drops in Time Square to decide to quit drinking, smoking, overeating and jerking off too much.:eyes

I have made resolutions, some worked out perfectly and some not to well. All in all, I am happy with my methods of existence these days, so no New Years resolutions for me this time.

4. Woody81

Woody81 Member

Very true. That's how I got started years ago with working out. I'm a firm believer in writing your goals down and reviewing them periodically.

Even though it's kinda disappointing, it's become a game for some of us. Because when Janurary rolls around the place is packed plum full. And we'll make bets on who'll stick around. Shitty, but humorous at the same time.

5. Bretright

Bretright New Member

I agree. If its important enough to you, then you shouldnt wait until Jan 1st to do it. When you realize you want to do it, that is the time. In the early 2000's I set a goal to retire by the time I was 40. Well it didnt happen. I retired at 38. The way I did it was to set logical, realistic goals and pursue them relentlessly. My success rate was actually about 90%. Now I work for fun.