New Toys and how to clean them

Discussion in 'Sexual Foreplay and Techniques' started by bluenavigator, Feb 14, 2007.

1. bluenavigator

bluenavigator New Member

Just not sure what to do about this strange smell!

My wife got this new vibrator didlo in the mail. She was so exicted to see its nice girth, pretty much thicker than mine. That's cool with me. When she opened the package, she was overwhelmed by its smell from the factory. Of course, it isn't pleasant at all. She washed it in the sink with shampoo and body wash. It is waterproof version. So she isn't worried about getting it wet but she worked hard on it, the smell won't go away. :yell

So what's best way to get rid of this smell? Of course, with this smell, it won't be pleasant masturatition(sp?) at all. I know because when I open the drawer, I can smell the smell, without touch it at all. :eek

2. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Have you tried lavender oil or tea tree (although the latter is a little strong)....maybe patchouli too but with that one you would have to dilute it in some carrier oil...

Good luck!!

3. Rupture

Rupture New Member

go for glass next time.

4. yorkiesmurf

yorkiesmurf New Member

Have you tried making a paste out of baking soda and putting it on it for a few minutes and then gently removing it? Baking soda works wonders for removing odors. Just remember to use baking soda and not baking powder as there is a difference between them.

5. Babiegurl

Babiegurl New Member

I've heard of some people putting them in the dish washer is that safe?

6. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

That's one dishwasher load I would not want my mother in law stumbling upon. :)

7. katy

katy New Member

You might wanna try to boil it if you want.

8. Jill_c

Jill_c New Member

dishwasher is fine, as long as you can detatch the electronic portion.

9. Babiegurl

Babiegurl New Member

Even if they are waterproof?

10. Bella

Gold Member

Proper cleaning of sex toys is essential to avoid bacterial infection or transmission of STIs. While some STIs die once the fluid they live in dries, others (such as hepatitis and scabies) can live for weeks or months outside of the body. If you want to prevent pregnancy, it is also important to be remove sperm that may be on the sex toy before using near or in the vagina. It’s important to keep the instructions for cleaning the sex toy and to follow them carefully. If you feel that cleaning the toy properly would be too time consuming or unrealistic for you, think about buying a different toy. The information provided below gives a general overview for cleaning different types of toys and isn’t meant to replace the manufacturer’s instructions.

For basic toy care, remove any batteries. Never submerge electrical components in water. Use a damp, soapy washcloth to clean your electric toys, preferably with anti-bacterial soap. Keep toys stored in a container or pouch (to keep them clean) and in a cool, dry place.

Cleaning non-porous materials: glass, stainless steel, hard plastic, and silicone
    Glass - Wash glass toys with soap and water. Pyrex toys are dishwasher safe. Do not expose glass to extreme temperatures.

Stainless Steel - If attached to an electrical device, use warm soapy water, being careful not to submerge any electrical components. If there are no electrical components you have 3 options: Boil or soak in a bleach-water solution (50:50 ratio) for 10 minutes, or place it in the dishwasher.

Hard Plastic - Clean with anti-bacterial soap and water. Do not boil.

Silicone - 3 options: boil for 5-10 minutes, put it in your dishwasher (on top rack), or wash with anti-bacterial soap and warm water.

Do not boil silicone vibrators because you will destroy the vibrator mechanism.

Cleaning porous materials: rubber, vinyl, cyberskin, nylon, and leather
    Rubber materials - Rubber materials are porous and difficult to clean. In addition, their composition is not always known or may contain phthalates, chemicals which have been shown to be harmful to your health. For these reasons, it is recommended to use condoms with these types of toys.

Cyberskin and Vinyl - Cyberskin is soft and porous, often used for dildos. Wash cyberskin and vinyl toys delicately with warm water only. Air dry and powder a small amount with cornstarch to keep them from getting sticky.

Nylon - Nylon harnesses and toys can be machine or hand washed with a mild anti-bacterial soap.

Leather - Wipe leather products with a damp, soapy cloth or with leather cleaner. Do not soak leather. After cleaning, you may recondition your toy using a leather conditioner. Protect metal parts from tarnish by applying a coating of clear nail polish.

Thought this would be helpful! :)
    ~Bella

11. deric

deric New Member

I had no idea cleaning sex toys could be so complicated. I hope they all come with manuals. What are scabies?

12. girljo

girljo New Member

Most dildos/pugs and other toys can be safely cleaned in the dishwasher. Anything with electrical/battery components that are not submerg-able/waterproof may not.

13. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

You bet it is safe, And it is also highly recommended
    as the water in a dishwasher is much hotter than the water from
    a faucet.
    I remember Sue Johanson recomending just that on her Talk Sex
    show on CBC years ago.

Hiker:sf

14. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Put Them all the way to the back

Hiker:sf

15. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

:lol

Thanks, Hiker. ;)

16. TearyGirl47

TearyGirl47 New Member

I had no idea that one should use a condom with a rubber toy. How often/serious of a concern should I have if I don't use a condom or haven't?

Thanks

17. Funseeker

Funseeker New Member

Putting a condom on it makes it easier to keep clean and cuts down on the smell.

18. bluenavigator

bluenavigator New Member

Baking soda... might try that.

Hummm Do they make glass vibrators yet? Have to check for that! :phat

Dishwashing sound good to me.... might to do that one late nite because we have one son here and he is teen. Don't want him to ask "MOM!! What's that?!?"

I don't think so! LOL :lol

Good idea!

Thanks for many replies. Hope that it turns out with good results. Will let y'all know soon!