New NASCAR Fan Flag

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HerHubby, Nov 30, 2006.

1. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Some guys I know are members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. I am qualified to join, having Southern ancestry, however, frankly, I have always felt that the war is over and my flag is the American Flag. Anyway, while chatting with these guys, I recently learned that they are coming up with a new flag for NASCAR fans. You can see it down below if it comes through. I dunno, again, I have long felt that the war is over, the South lost, get over it, however, I guess that these guys feel like they have to push the "heritage issue" even though some racists have used the Confederate flag for their own wicked ends. By the way, the Confederate battle flag is based on the St. Andrew's Cross Flag of Scotland. Not sure why, though. Oh, well, anyway, race car fans will see these flags being passed out at NASCAR races in 2007. Whatever. :ugh

#1 HerHubby, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. HerHubby

Gold Member

In my hometown, where one of the major NASCAR race tracks is located (ironically, I have never been to a race there or in Richmond either - wonder if I got three tickets to a Richmond NASCAR race if Rose and Thorn would go with me and if Rose would sit in my lap ;>), there is a public square where they have the usual local statue of a Confederate veteran or, as I think of them, monuments to Yankee marksmanship. Anyway, the statue was done by a sculptor over in Austria. He had no idea what a Confederate solider looked like, however, wanting the commission paid by the weird Americans, he did his best and put the solider in an Austrian army uniform. So, as one views the statue in my hometown, I guess that one could sing "Oh, wish I was in the land of cotton - YODELAYHEHOOO!!!", ha, ha! Sigh, life is strange! ;> And the Civil War is over, let's move on!

3. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I believe that this flag that is going to be passed out is not an officially 'sanctioned' souvenier of NASCAR. A few years ago Bryan France (CEO) attempted to outlaw the confederate flag from NASCAR events, as he was trying to encourage more multi-ethnic involvement in the sport. Started quite an uproar with some of the "good ol' boys" :lol Not the 'multi-ethnic involvement' - but outlawing the conf. flag

This is probably the SCV's silly answer to Mr France's silly 'rule'.

Most everyone holds on to some symbolism of their heritage - even if their heritage is lost in the annuls of history. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone is not 'moving on'. It's simply making a connection with one's past and ancestry. I do admit that some use it as a symbol of segregation and intimidation; however, that can probably be said about any people who form a group.

Along Hubby's note of using the Scot's flag.... in Scotland the different family trees are interestingly enough, called "Clans" --- :whoa ....

4. Thorn

Gold Member

I've been told by family members that I am directly related to Robert E. Lee. But I never have checked it out. It's not a big deal to me one way or another. As far as the flag goes, I would never display one because of the way some people are offended by it. The civil war should be studied in history classes but I'm with HerHubby as far as it being time to "move on." I think we do move on a little more with each new generation.

Just my cent and a half worth. ;)

5. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

You know what my flag is?
    This one:

Attached Files:

6. HerHubby

Gold Member

Uhm, interesting flag! Uhm, what is it?!

7. HerHubby

Gold Member

You know, you and Thorn often come up with some of the most interesting, outstanding posts! I figure you two are probably professors at one of the area universities in real life (and that's great that Thorn might be a descendent of Robert E. Lee - General Lee would be proud of Thorn, a real Southern Gentleman)! And, if I ever went to a race with you and Thorn, would you sit on my lap?! :brow

8. HerHubby

Gold Member

The southern stuff reminds me - several years ago,there used to be a strip club on the southside of Richmond called "Last Chance". I never went there (HONEST!!!), however, I knew some guys who did go there from time to time (buncha lawyers and military types). They said that this young lady would come out and do her strip dance while the band played "Dixie". Apparently she had clothes with the Confederate flag on them until she took them off, of course. Anyway, they said that she would come up to some of the male patrons, as they sat there watching her, and whack them on the head with the tassles attached to her nipples. Occasionally she would come up to some guy and either slap him upside the head with her breasts or whack him over the head with her breasts! One guy that happened to used to fondly carry around a silver string from one of the tassles which she gave him when he asked for her autograph after the show! I haven't seen that club advertised for a long time so I assume it went out of business. The "Dixie" stripper was a very popular act while it lasted, so I was told.

9. Thorn

Gold Member

:lol No we are not professors. But if we ever do go to a NASCAR race with you I would be delighted to oblige your request kind sir. After all I am a Southern Gentleman. :D

10. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Anarcho-Capitalist flag.

11. Bluesy

Gold Member

:eyes I don't think it's a good idea, but I can appreciate that some people are using the flag as a symbol of southern pride and nothing more. Still... the swastika has a very benign, spiritual even, history, and we no longer display it in public places out of cultural sensitivity. It's a shame when a few bad apples ruin a perfectly innocent symbol.