New male attractiveness paper

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by octavius, Apr 10, 2013.

1. octavius

Gold Member

Bigger not always better for penis size : Nature News & Comment

Here is the abstract...

"Compelling evidence from many animal taxa indicates that male genitalia are often under postcopulatory sexual selection for characteristics that increase a male’s relative fertilization success. There could, however, also be direct precopulatory female mate choice based on male genital traits. Before clothing, the nonretractable human penis would have been conspicuous to potential mates. This observation has generated suggestions that human penis size partly evolved because of female choice. Here we show, based upon female assessment of digitally projected life-size, computer-generated images, that penis size interacts with body shape and height to determine male sexual attractiveness. Positive linear selection was detected for penis size, but the marginal increase in attractiveness eventually declined with greater penis size (i.e., quadratic selection). Penis size had a stronger effect on attractiveness in taller men than in shorter men. There was a similar increase in the positive effect of penis size on attractiveness with a more masculine body shape (i.e., greater shoulder-to-hip ratio). Surprisingly, larger penis size and greater height had almost equivalent positive effects on male attractiveness. Our results support the hypothesis that female mate choice could have driven the evolution of larger penises in humans. More broadly, our results show that precopulatory sexual selection can play a role in the evolution of genital traits."

The paper illustrates what most of the women on this site have been telling us. Penis size matters but only to a point. The study did use flaccid penis size because the underlying assumption is that guys would walk around unclothed in their flaccid state and that females would first see and select for penis size at that point. We all know though that some guys are quite large, though they start very small and some guys look they have great potential for huge size barely grow at all. It would be fun to get a reputable study on erect size, especially with garbage like the "study" linked below floating around that are based on poor study conditions and lack of controls.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

This paper on the other hand was published in PNAS, a top tier scientific journal.

All the features, including penis size, had a "sweet zone" where below or above it decreased your attractiveness. Above average height, above average hip to shoulder ratio were all positives. But, extremes on either end were deemed less attractive. Which makes sense, because being "above average" denotes being healthy and having good genes...access to nutrition etc. In terms of penis size 12.8–14.2 centimetres (flaccid) was judged most attractive my most women. That is a bit over 5 inches to 5.6 inches flaccid which really is not that big. Above average but not that uncommon at all.

#1 octavius, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. OverSinged

Gold Member

So, since you're saying 5/.5 flaccid is about averageish, your saying that 'showers' basically gain no size between flaccid and hard?

Iunno, I'm a grower, and it's kinda... drastic for me.

#2 OverSinged, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  3. octavius

Gold Member

No it is above average but 5-5.5 cm flaccid isn't uncommon if you look around in the dressing room. I'm in that range and I'm not really that "big". I'm above average hard.

4. kipro150

kipro150 Member

Yea i dont think 5 is average flaccid (yea the article says 3.5 is average)

But eh. These are all filled with generalizations. I dont really fit in with the normal dating crowd/most people but luckily theres enough people in the world that it doesnt really matter what the "majority" likes. I can obsess about it with the irrational part of my brain, but the other part of me knows theres more to relationships and whatnot. Plus a lot of our evolutionary dispositions kinda get thrown out the window with how our society works (guys dont walk around naked for women to pick the best one...at least not on my street)

5. OverSinged

Gold Member

Gah, keep forgetting it's all in CM

stoopid education system making me think in inches... Ignore any ignorance my statement may have had.

6. biker061

Gold Member

now seems a good time to mention i hate the metric system, my motorcycle has an 88ci engine :bow (not 1450cc) and my cock is approx 6" erect :slong (not whatever the metric equivalent is!).
    thanks i feel better now :rofl

7. OverSinged

Gold Member

It doesn't bother me one way or the other, but we honestly need to start, slowly, switching...

Just start with whatever grade starts measurements next year, and make that year learn metric system, with standard on the side. Then, the year after that, make it the next grade up. Rinse/repeat until schools are mostly metric and none of your current students become pissed at having to learn both systems at once.

8. Meee

Gold Member

There is some speculation that female mate choice was irrelevant in primitive eras. Men may have taken the women they wanted (which was probably any women basically) and that was that. Male aggression and even force might have been going on a lot more than female choice. These sorts of experiments assume a rather polite modern attitude in primitive evolutionary periods.

9. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

This makes for interesting reading and contemplation, but I tend to agree with Meee.

xx

10. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Multiply by 2.54 which = 15.24cm. Sounds better right?

At super soft mine is like wtf is that. But, it grows to a healthy size if excited.

11. biker061

Gold Member

another note on the metric system...i am 58 and first heard of the metric system early in elementary school. so that means for something like 50 years we've been 'implementing' this into our society? guess the wheels of progress turn slowly? i know how it works and yes i use it every day it's just another irony of everyday life. and don't even get me started on the same sort of process about 'soccer' replacing 'football' in the usa!
    :eyes

12. lbushwalker

Gold Member

In defence of the metric system as applied to peenies or not.
    I am one year senior to biker and once Australia decided it took 5 years for complete change over and I doubt that there are any of my geriatric generation bought up on the BS Imperial system that would contemplate a return to the dark ages of those nonsensical multipliers ie 12 inches to a foot, 3 foot to a yard, 22 yards to a chain and god knows what a mile used to be :(
    Thanks heaven for the system based on 10!
    And yeah by bikes have been 80cc, 250cc, 350cc, 500cc, 750cc, 1000cc and finally 1200cc.
    My cars have been 350cc, 1.8L, 2.0L, 2.4L, 4.2L, 2.6L and now 3.0L.
    My dick size is likewise fully metric compliant ranging in size based on a system of;
    Degrees Celsius and 0 to 10 score as applied to any potential female bedmate :flip

13. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

It's funny because I'm younger than you and prefer to work with a mixture of Imperial and Metric.

14. dougsan

dougsan New Member

First the metric system, I would expect any engineer to choose the metric system.. It is so clean and logical -- everything is a division of 10 and the base, cm, is truly fixed. Love it. Hate the fact the USA is managing to both. As usual, we can't make up our minds. This translates into gov't is being paid too much to force the conversion.

On penis size preference. There was an article in the Boston Globe within the last few weeks that said women do prefer big cocks. The upper size for most women, after which the consider a cock too big was 11.5". If I remember the article correctly.