New car.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

Looking to get a new car (used, new to me though). My first car that I've had for 4 years now, which is a 93 Grand Am GT, is on the verge of taking a big heeping shit on my driveway. I've been looking around some, and mostly came up with a few different vehicles. Focus, Ion, Elantra, and Spectra. The Elantra and Spectra are almost identicle, it's just Kia/Hyundai, which are the same company different names. I did a google search for the Focus and found they had quite a few recalls, in fact somewhere it said they set a record for the amount of recalls they had.

Then I looked at the Ion. Well, there's only a few Ions within a 50 mile radius (that are registered online, at least), and only 2 of those few are stick shift. I MUST HAVE A STICK SHIFT NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!!! I missed out having an auto the first time around, I need a 5 spd this time. Anyway, I'm leaning heavily towards the Hyundai Elantra, mostly because I can pick one up with a bit of a warranty left, year 2001 or newer with 50k miles on it for 6 grand. I looked at Honda but all of those had 120k+ miles on for my price range...... not my thing.

But yeah, any suggestions? I plan to go out car browsing all day tomorrow - Sunday - the day where the car salesman have off, so I don't have to be pestered. :brow

2. Kisses

Kisses New Member

Acid has an Elantra, he would be able to tell you about them. With the ones you're looking at I would go with the elantra. But the choice is ultimately yours :D

3. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Saturn ION Redline and the SKY Redline are the ONLY Saturns worth owning.

I need info if you want me to make suggestions ... ie: Budget, Drive train preference, are you going for speed or economy?, do you plan on modding it?,
    are insurance and gas costs a factor?

4. Jayce

Gold Member

Must be reliable and gas efficient. Must be manual transmission. Trying to make a cap of 8k for the car.

That's about all I'm going on. Not modifying it at all, besides taking the sound setup I have in my Pontiac and putting it in whatever car I get. I don't care if it's 2 door, 4 door, 3 door, 18 door, whatever. Just as long as it has a reliable history + gas efficient.

If I had my choice, my way, blah blah blah, it would be a sincere toss up between a Saturn Ion and an Elantra GT.

5. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Neither, go with a solid used Acura Integra, or Honda Civic. Just trust me on this. The teggy has a little more comfort to it and the engines are usually a little better. Saturns tend to just be a lesser quality build. I've driven and ridden in them and I'm not a huge fan.

Stick to Honda, or if you can find one for a low price, a Toyota Corolla S is also a good choice.

6. Jayce

Gold Member

Uh, no. No offense, but honda and acura, no. I'd much, MUCH rather go with a Hyundai, especially if I'm going for reliability. Say what you wish, but Hyundai since the mid 90s has established their company based off of minimal garage visits. In fact, they say Hyundai's are smarter to go with than BMW's if you're searching for reliability. My family has been driving Hyundai (and Kia) for years now, even back in the late 80s when they were believed to be junkers. Now that a few of my friends have them and laugh at me whenever I'm in the shop with my Pontiac, it's hard to pass one up.

As it stands now, I'm comparing a few Saturn Ion's and Elantra's in my area. Tomorrow I'm calling for a price of this one (which I estimate to be around 6 grand) and tomorrow evening I'll dig out a loan and see what happens. If things go my way, by Wednesday (latest) I'll be in new wheels getting 3x better gas mileage. WOOOOOOOOO.

7. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

I know I've talked to you on aim, but I'd pass up the Saturns if I was you, but that's just me.....

8. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Gee, I'm surprised to see anyone blasting the Saturn as undependable. My wife drives one to work every day. It's an older one -- a '96 SSC. She's been driving it for 8 years, and it sets outside day and night. The only things we've had to repair/replace in that time are one battery and a few wiper blades. We may have had it tuned once, 6 or 7 years ago. The sun roof needs some cleaning, lube, and/or adjustment as it no longer closes properly without some help, but after setting out in the rain, snow, dust and heat for all these years, it's not surprising that it would need some service. We just haven't gotten to a Saturn dealer to have it done. The car still looks and drives like new.

I keep suggesting that we trade for a newer model, but this is my wife's car and she loves it. That makes me like it a little; it's cheap transportation. I just don't like to drive it because it doesn't have much head room for me -- not like my F250.

I am a little disappointed that the gas mileage isn't better. Our normal highway speed is around 80 mph, and it only gets about 25 mpg. My old Saab 9000 Turbos did better than that (30 mpg), and even our Lexus matched it. But the worst thing is that it has a small fuel tank (13 gallons?), so it doesn't go too far on a fillup. I'd guess/hope the newer ones get better mileage.

#8 Joe, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  9. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

^^^^^^Truth be told, in my eyes at least, if doesn't really make a bit of difference in what make/model you purchase as long as you:

A. Take care of it, and dont' beat on it.
    B. Do routine maint. on it when/before it's required.
    C. Don't cheap out on replacement fluids/parts/pieces.

Every car will have it's quarks. Every car will have people that love it and hate it. Every car will have recalls. Every car will have lemons. It's just that I've watched 2 seperate friends of mine buy BRAND NEW saturns and watched the trans's go within 5 months of owning the vehical. One of those friends actually lasted about a week before the trans blew. My 3ed friend that bought a Saturn, I'm quickly watching it go down the pooper, and the quality level on the car just isn't great imo. Side moldings are falling off, it's lifters tick horrrrribly, CEL's constantly. Like I said, maybe it's just a 'lemon' of the bunch, but still.

Some people like Saturn, some people don't. True about any make/model. Just if it was me looking at a Saturn, I would much rather go with something that is a little less plastic, and a little more 'car'. Something that has a positive reputation of having a strong reliable engine when being beat on, not just one that's lasted the test of time after being handled nicely day after day.

That's just me though, and i'm not saying I beat on my cars, becase I don't. It's just when I have a video on my computer of people literally trying to kill a civic, (and I'm not a fan of civics) by draining the oil out, replacing it with water, and bouncing it off redline for 10+ minutes (I'm serious too). The thing still gets up and drives away just fine. They poured water over the overheating block, still didn't kill it. It took another couple tries before they actually finished it off, and then it STILL got up and drove away. The point is, you could do that to damned near any other engine out there and it would have died a long time before that. As much as I hate Honda, the engines are damned reliable.

Toyota and Nissan also make a damned strong car. Might want to seriously consider them as well.

10. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

I'll back that up... as far as Hyundais, the friends i've had who own them are CONSTANLY getting things repaired. even my roommate says she would never own one again

11. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

got a 94 Civic with 164K miles and the only problem i have is that she likes oil as there's carbon buildup in the cylinders causing oil seep. I had to replace the clutch and Timing belt and the AC needs a High pressure line, but for a car with over 150K on it, that ain't shabby at all.

12. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

heh, there is actually a mercury mystique cruising around my area... enough miles on it to cicle the earth 22 times at the equator....original engine, 2nd tranny

13. Jayce

Gold Member

I bought an 01 Elantra GLS, 4 door 5 spd 2.0l 4 cylinder, etc. Very nice car, got a nice deal with it, nice warranty. The outside as well as inside are impecible. In fact, it was so nice it compared to the 06 Elantra sitting next to it (What's sad is, I'm not even exaggerating). It's a very nice car, just need to get used to the clutch. Other than that, I got myself a new car!

14. Kisses

Kisses New Member

Congrats! New cars are always fun until you have to make the first payment! (and all payments after that) :D

15. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

See my last post....

Congrats on the new ride. May it serve you well.

16. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

... oh BTW - - Happy Birthday , Acid7711 :)

17. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Thanks Rose. ;) I'm gettin up there now.