Nervous as hell

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by loveit247, Oct 2, 2008.

1. loveit247

Gold Member

Ben arrives at 15.00 tomorrow. I am so nervous! I am not sure why. It is just that I am so used to having one dog who I pay all my attention to. Lills is not big on sharing me and I am worried how this is going to affect her.

I am worried that Ben won't like me or Lills or my house. I am worried that I have made a huge mistake. I am worried about how he will settle in.

I know it will be so much easier then all of that, but I still worry. I guess it is just fear of the unknown. It all hit me this morning on our walk when I saw how my mothers dog and Lills are a little team, how they run together, chase squirrels together and just enjoy each other. I realised I was changing their dynamic forever. I am very worried now!

2. elonlyBuster

elonlyBuster New Member

I'm not sure if Ben is another dog or a guy but if Ben is a guy and he's traveling a good distance to see you it's gonna take A LOT to make him go back. And if Ben's a dog well after a few days of nervousness I'm sure he'll fit right in.
    Regardless I'm sure things will work out. Jitters are always common.
    You really have nothing to worry about

3. Dreama

Gold Member

Oh come now, loveit. You'll be fine, and so will your precious little pooches. I know how people can often worry, but as you said, it won't be as bad as any of that. Chin up and get to know your little guy! Good luck!

4. loveit247

Gold Member

Thanks. Ben is my new dog.

Thanks Dreama. I am just so worried that he is not going to work out and fit in. I have been very lucky with Lilly, she slid right in after she recovered her health 100%. She has been a total dream!
    I am just concerned that he will be difficult.

5. Dreama

Gold Member

Yes, I know. But, I think as long as you're giving plenty of lovin' to all of your doggies, you'll be alright. It's true, at first, it might be difficult for Ben to find his place in this little family, but I think he eventually will.

6. loveit247

Gold Member

I hope so, I would hate to have to send him back

7. Katprr

Katprr New Member

I think everything will be just fine. I know when I got my new puppy, I was nervous since I wasn't sure how MIMI would act, my Collie. Duke my newest one was a little nervous and such at first but here it has been 3 weeks about and they play togeather and have a great time.
    Here is a couple pics I promised of my puppy, in the photos he is 6weeks old, now is 8 weeks, since he is a mixed with Mastif we got to pick him up early. He is Mastif, and Aussie mix. Momma is 100percent Aussie and daddy 100percent Mastif.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. igor

Gold Member

Cute dog!!!!!!! That is what they now call a designer dog I think - from two full breeds. Mine is half Cocker Spaniel and half Brussels Griffin.

9. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Loveit, everything will be fine. Just show them both you are the boss, and let them live life! I am so glad you are getting him!!!!!!!!! You know you cannot send him back...ever.

My daughter loooooves, pups, as do I. Yesterday she told me that she wanted a "wife" for our dog so they could have puppies. I tried to explain that he cannot make puppies...oh well.

Anyway. Pics tomorrow of the whole family, PLEASE!!!!!

10. loveit247

Gold Member

Well, I pick him up in an hour! I have now reached a plateu of nervousness. I have butterflys, I can't work out if I am nervous or excited.

Tell your little girl he is a sports model, looks good but not really practical for families! LOL!

11. Dreama

Gold Member

Yay, loveit! Just be happy and get to know your new little pup!

12. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

So, how did it go? How is the family? My little girl loves all puppies, regardless of the "familyability" ( I know Puss, not a word)

:pics

13. loveit247

Gold Member

Ok, my weekend with my boy was pretty intense. I have never had a male dog before and apparently he marks! On my curtains, on my bed, in the food bowls, on the couch! LOL! I adore him though. He is already a mommies boy. He loves me and follows me everywhere with his little tail wagging. He loves Lilly but she wants nothing to do with the silly child! She ignores him or growls at him. He sneaks up to her when she is sleeping.

[​IMG]
    Getting him out of his crate at the airport

[​IMG]
    Smelling him, he smells devine!

[​IMG]
    Pretty boy!

[​IMG]
    Pretty girl

[​IMG]
    Hai Lilly. Wez be frends?

14. Dreama

Gold Member

AWW! Your doggies are the cutest dogs ever. I have to go look at cute lol cat pictures now, because I need more cuteness.

15. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Lovely animal! Grrrr, baba. (The dog's are cute too. :brow).

Loveit, dogs have the instinct to be VERY adaptable...it's built into them. They can adapt to any situation and be happy and comfortable. Alpha dog that rules the roost? They're happy. Bottom of the pack with little or no "alpha privileges"? They're happy. Anything in between? They're happy. Your pup has it's own unique little personality (just like a human), BUT you can mold his behavior into whatever you need it to be, within reason. So, don't sweat it. You'll have to teach him what's allowed within your "pack", but once he understands it, everything will work just fine because he'll adapt to fit the pack.

People often assume that dogs can feel complex human emotions and that's just not true. Far too often, for instance, I've seen a dog owner unknowingly praise their dog for growling at a child. They go "Oh, he/she is just jealous" and they comfort (ie. praise) the dog. WRONG! Dogs don't feel jealousy, it's far too advanced an emotion for a canine...they are testing their place within the pack heirarchy. If they growl at the child and get praised for it by the pack leader (which one would hope is the human :lol), they have been told "you outrank this child in the pack heirarchy". You've now unknowingly told the dog "it's OK to growl at the child or perhaps even bite the child". Not something you probably want your dog to think, eh? If you correct the dog for growling at the child, then ignore the dog and comfort the child instead, the dog gets a clear message "the child outranks you in the pack heirarchy". The dog will instinctively understand that and behave better around the child. Our dog (a big ole sweet, dumb, and stubborn ass hound :lol) growled at me once, got strongly corrected and never did it again. He growled at my wife twice, got strongly corrected and never did it again. He growled at our little girl once, got VERY strongly corrected AND demoted from sleeping on the couch (an elevated perch is an "alpha privilege") and has never done it again. He was testing his rank in our pack heirarchy, we gave him the right message, and he clearly understands that he's the bottom dog in the our "pack". And he's as happy as he can be with that.

Too many folks allow their dog to be the pack leader without realizing it. Every dog is instinctually a predator, so particularly if you have a big dog (which you obviously don't) this can be quite a dangerous thing. For the dog to be the pack leader is very stressful for the dog, actually...the happiest and friendliest dogs (and the ones who actually live the longest) are the ones who are at the bottom of the pack...they lead stressless and carefree lives just doing what they are "told" and being quite content to have food, shelter, and be part of a pack. Pretty cool, huh?

BD

16. loveit247

Gold Member

BD. I am a qualified dog trainer and behaviourist. So I have to disagree with you on one thing. A dog that has been taught to not growl is a dangerous animal. He/she has been told to not give a warning before biting. A dog that growls should not be strongly corrected, but distracted. The child needs to be taught to not harrass the dog. I would much rather have my dog growl to warn of a bite then to just lash out. Obviously strong correction does work on some animals but I would not want to take that chance.
    Saying that. Any dog that lashes out without warning should be put to sleep, they are dangerous.

As for the peeing thing. Oh trust me, we are working on it! LOL! I have spray, a belly band and I tie him to my waist so I can watch the little blighter. When I can't watch him he is in his crate. I am sure we will eventually come right.
    He is a total sweetie though. A very endearing little man.

17. BassDude

BassDude New Member

I won't argue with that...there are certainly different approaches to dog training!

The only thing that broke out stubborn hound dog from peeing on the carpet (he was a rescue dog and already 6 months old and about 40 lbs when we got him) was a remote controlled shock collar...nothing else worked, even keeping him on leash with me and correcting him if he started to pee inside...he'd just do it anyway, even while I was dragging him toward the door! This went on for about 2 weeks IIRC. It took about 2 days with the shock collar...I watched him like a hawk (so to speak) and everytime he'd start to cock a leg or squat inside, I'd give him a short jolt. He'd try 2-3 different spots, get a jolt each time, then whine and go to the door and bang on it with his paw. By the end of 2-3 days, he would go bang on the door instead of attempting to pee inside. Whew...some folks feel like shock collars are cruel...but, we wouldn't have been able to keep him without breaking that bad habit...so the shock collar was less cruel than dumping him back in his doggy foster home to wait for a new pack, IMO. Your situation is quite different though...your's is a pup, our's was an "adolescent" dog with some already formed bad habits!

BD

18. loveit247

Gold Member

That is actually a good idea. I will give it a try if he has not stopped in two weeks. He still has some testosterone in his system. I will give it time to work out. He was neutered 3 weeks ago. If he continues, I will shock the little bugger!

19. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

okay ... loveit ... I've been trying to figure out your avatar for months ... is that betty boop?

EDIT: Cute pooch btw.

20. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Thanks for the pics! I love him! Love you too! :)