Need some resume help/tips

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surreal_thoughts, Nov 24, 2012.

1. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Thought I'd ask my fellow :sf members for some resume help/tips if anyone out there is good with these things, working on one, or recently just used one to get hired.

I'm looking to make a career change after 10 years at a firm I've been working as an intern since I was 17 until now under the same job title. I graduated in this past May with a B.S. in behavioral health/criminal justice and am looking for anything in that line of work from entry level to what ever my degree and experience can get me to.

I've been searching online looking for formats, samples, free templates, but everything is different and I can't seem which is right...one page or two, and I'm even wondering how to word/write my cover letter.

Any advice or good useful sources would be EXTREMELY helpful. I need a new job...current job is very slow, boring, and I've seem to hit my limit with pay...I need to be able to make a bit more now with student loans, a mortgage, car payments, etc and my pockets are next to empty...I'm lucky if I get to hold on to a penny for a few minutes before it disappears... :ugh

Thanks...

2. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Done a few of late both for self and assisted others also I am a manager and seen plenty of lousy ones so at least know what to avoid.
    There is no "correct" format but one size does not fit all situation.
    It depends on the job and best be customised specifically for it as apposed to a blanket approach.
    If you want more info or critique yours PM me.

3. igor

Gold Member

Several things I learned years ago was:

1) no more than 2 pages long.
    2) Leave out trivial details (they don't care what brand of toothpaste you use).
    3) Use plain white bond paper - not fancy colored stuff. Don't use fancy fonts.

4) Do not mention money. Let hiring person bring it up at an interview. Let them make an offer.

4. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Thanks for the suggestions walker and igor. Currently mine is 1 page but I feel like it could be 2 pages but I'm not sure.

I'm also hung up on how the order of the info of my resume should flow. Do I start with my education 1st, skills, work experience, etc, or start with current work, experiences, education, etc. Hard to get what's the right idea as each website and source I've looked into counters the other... becoming very frustrating...

5. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Hi ST,
    Put yourself in the shoes of someone receiving your job application.
    What is the most relevant information they would need to make a quick assessment if it worth reading further before moving on to the next one?
    It always depends on the job in question.
    Clearly for a professional job they want to know immediately if you are legally qualified for it then if you have any relevant experience or at least that how I select candidates for shortlisting.
    In other situations such as PR jobs experience is way more important than all the qualifications in the world.
    Do yourself justice succinctly and resist the temptation to become verbose because it is tiring wading through many pages just to identify the gold nuggets and most manager just want to cut the chase.

#5 lbushwalker, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012