Need opinions on new truck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

We are starting to look into buying a new truck to replace our '98 Ford F250, and I wanted to get some advice.

Here is what we want in a truck:
    1. 4 wheel drive
    2. 3/4 ton
    3. gas, not diesel
    4. towing package
    5. able to tow a 3 horse trailer
    6. flatbed
      7. must be heavy duty

My husband is dead set against getting a Ford or a Dodge. Any suggestions?

#1 Barbwire, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. cook74

Gold Member

Number six sounds like a necessity :brow

Good luck with finding what you are after, sorry I can't help.:(

3. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

Well...

...let's see; I'd skip Ford and Dodge. Chevy has a 0% 5 year deal right now on Silverado's. That's how I'd go.

4. Barbwire

Gold Member

Are Silverado's full sized heavy duty trucks?

5. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

6. Barbwire

Gold Member

Well, yeah, what's your point?

I was actually hoping to hear from people that owned new trucks so they could tell me what they like or don't like about them.

7. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

Ok...

...Ford and Chevy are out, right?

So, I like Chevy's low money cost (0%).

Tundra is fucking AWESOME yet very expensive. Probably $5-10k more than most.

Don't know squat about Nissan Titan.

Silverado also won truck of the year, FWIW.

And Howie Long is their spokesperson.

You can get a dually and pull your house.

Why no diesel???

Why not 1 ton?

8. Barbwire

Gold Member

Ford and Dodge are out, Chevy is OK.

Diesels are a royal bitch to start when it's below zero. I also hate the smell of it.

If we got a dually we could not park it in our garage.

A one ton is overkill for what we need, and would cost more money.

9. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

You can plug...

...the diesel in at night if it seems the extra fuel economy is worth it. Plus, depending on how recent your diesel/cold starting experience is, the last 5 years or so, the glow plugs are pretty good at starting in the winter.

10. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

You've only got two real choices:
    1. Chevy.
    2. Ford and new hubby.

I'd take the Ford. ;)

I don't think I'd want to pull a 3-horse trailer with a Toyota or Nissan. What's the weight loaded? Tongue weight? 5th wheel trailer?

11. heelfetish

Gold Member

Only GM, Ford & Dodge offer 3/4-ton trucks in North America. So if you want a 3/4-ton, but don't want Ford or Dodge, you're stuck with Chevy. Not really a bad thing, IMO. I'd have narrowed the choices down to Ford & Chevy anyway, I'm not a big fan of new Dodge vehicles.

The new Ford F250 HD is supposedly quite nice, it's a shame he's ruled out Ford completely. It's nice to have something to compare the Chev to.

12. Barbwire

Gold Member

My husband had talked to a few people with the Fords and they aren't happy with them. Also, he's been told by a few machanics that the Fords are hard to work on.

Joe, our current trailer is a 2 horse slant aluminum gooseneck trailer. (5th wheel) We might want to upgrade to a 3 horse with living quarters some day. I don't have the weights in front of me, but I will get them later.

13. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

The Ford diesels from 2003-2007 had a lot of problems. Ford switched to a different engine for 2008 (out since April or May) and it seems to be a good one. But if you don't go with a diesel you'd want the V-10, and I've heard little bad about them. I have heard that the new Ford (diesels anyway) can be problematic for certain repairs, requiring the engine to be raised from the blocks for some otherwise minor repairs. I've been very happy with my 2000 F250 diesel 4x4, but they've changed a lot since then.

Someone on an active RV board that I visit regularly took a poll recently on which was the best truck for towing 5th wheels. The results were better than 50% for Fords with Chevy/GMC and Dodge splitting the balance... with a few picking Toyota or other silly things... like a '74 Hornet.

I really think all of the big three are good trucks. Chevy/GMC probably rides a little nicer and doesn't set as high as Fords do. I'm planning to get a new one next spring, and I'm not sure which I'll buy yet. Probably a Ford F450 Lariat 4x4 diesel DRW 4-door long bed. We're planning on trading for a pretty big camper next time... in the 15,000 to 18,000 pound range. F250s just aren't big enough for that kind of load.

I'd have to remove my work bench in the garage to get my truck in it, so it's sat outside for the last 8 years. The size (OF THE TRUCK) is more important to me than getting it in the garage. And the work bench STAYS! (We've had a couple hail storms that damaged the roof, siding and the car since getting the truck, but the truck's skin is apparently tougher, as it's never been damaged.)