need advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by longnstrong, May 8, 2005.

1. longnstrong

longnstrong New Member

i am trying to start a new life and i am planning on beginning with moving to a new state. i cant stand living in this part of jersey any more (the southern coastal part). and i am thinking of making the make move to cali. i would like to know what the job situition is in that state now. i heard it has gotten alot better and minium wage there is like $7.00 per hour. i would move down south but i got jersey bills and in some southern states they dont like yankees. i know that rent is really high there but i am in pretty much the same situation here too. please tell me what you think of the situation in cali.

2. Logger

Gold Member

Dear Long and Strong,

How was Germany?

Applying for jobs in California is challenging for many people, because people who come to California, often stay for a few months and then return home, or go someplace else, within a few months. So any employer who is hiring, is reluctant to hire someone who has not been in California for several years, because he would stand a good chance of your quitting within a few months.

What job-skills do you have? What job skills could you pick up in New Jersey? What Unions could you join, that would help you in California? What job could you do in a Hotel? There are Hotels in Atlantic City. Can you get on training some place? Do you have any connections in any New Jersey Unions or apprentice programs?

If you are already in Californa now, maybe try a mesenger service, they are often looking for unskilled workers. Can you ride a bicyle?

Blessings

3. bee

bee New Member

Geramny? there were 5M people unemployed. not a good idea to go to there.

is state's education free? or you can your student loan?

4. columbus17

columbus17 New Member

A. What are jersey "bills?"
    B. We don't necessarily dislike yankees, we dislike that peturbing habit that more than a few northerners possess of turning there nose up at the South. We understand regional accents and accept the fact that we drawl, so therefore the sophisticated among us tolerate that godawful nasal twang y'all have. But dislike, a hearty no!

5. longnstrong

longnstrong New Member

jersey bills- people in jersey make more money for the same work in jersey as people in the south. because the cost of living is higher. i blow about $600 a month on bills 1/3 of that is my car. i can not afford to get a job that i make less then $13 an hour. i do realize that food and real estate would be cheaper but i am not sure if that will make up the difference.

B. it is not true for the big cities like atlanta. but some towns in the rural areas dont like it much when some one from outside of town buy houses or plan on staying long. my sister ran into that probelm when she brought a house in tennessee and i had some probelm with it when i live in maryland as a kid. nothing terribly bad just that you never really fit in. we have the same thing in south jersey but not in as many towns.

and most of that turning the nose up at the south is a ton of shit, people might make fun of the southerners, but it is not serious. the same cat that makes a red neck joke will make a joke bout how may black people are in new england, or how gay san fran is. and then he will head on down to florida or virginia for spring break.

6. columbus17

columbus17 New Member

Just a minor correction--Florida is NOT part of the South.

7. longnstrong

longnstrong New Member

lol is atlanta still consider part of the south?

8. longnstrong

longnstrong New Member

Germany was alot more laid back alot of beer. i did not see one fight while i was there everyone i talked to had to ask me about Bush, and i found something i like their they add 7up or sprite to their beer or wine to make it taste more sweet, because they dont have light beer. the funny thing is that the only thing i did while i was traveling germany was talk to Aussies and eat Turkish food. oh yeah the only thing that other countries hate more then bush is American beer they say water has more flavor and alcohol then our beer.

as for training i have an EPA license and i use too work on commercial refrigerators. i can also work on air conditioners and i know how to operate a forklift.

9. kbate

kbate New Member

psssssst.. that was good. maybe he'll come on down and we can have a good old yankee lynchin'. :)

10. kbate

kbate New Member

Cali cost of living is higher than anywhere. You might try Central PA, the cost is lower than Jersey, but there is less work also (funny how it works that way.. no work in the places with low cost of living).

I would love to only have $600 in monthly bills.... mine are closer to $15000.

11. columbus17

columbus17 New Member

Sure----Hotlanta, N'awlins, Charlotte, Richmond, Memphis, Louisville, Tupelo, Tuscaloosa, Charleston, Savannah, Old Towne Alexandria are all bastions of southern hospitality. Florida is a haven for retired yankees too maladjusted for assimilation into our culture.

12. columbus17

columbus17 New Member

As a genteel southern belle, I'm sure you are aware of the differnce 'tween a yankee and a damn yankee.............?

13. longnstrong

longnstrong New Member

i already live in "the middle of no were new jersey" i dont really want to live in the middle of no were PA. but you are right that it is cheaper to live in PA near phila then it is to live in NJ near Phila. i kinda want to live in a well populate place, like new york, new orleans or san fran, or maybe pheonix. but i am not sure what the economy is in those states.

as for the bills i am thinking of blowing my credit and not paying all them all the time. and just get some bad credit, my credit is excellent right now but i want to move out of my parents house and i am having a hard time finding a job that pays more then $2200 a month without overtime.

( i am also planning on getting a CDL)
    i have even thought alot about joining the military or the peace corp :puke . i hate both ideas. the military is usaully more of a waste of time then it is help.

14. longnstrong

longnstrong New Member

lol :lol

you are right most of the people i talked to who visited florida alot visit their retired grand parents. and even to a larger degree for some reasons alot of people who get out of prison usaully end up going down to florida.

i always think of florida as being full of hot young horny girls, i always forget that it is more so a waiting room for old people about to meet their maker, and our ex-cons.

15. columbus17

columbus17 New Member

It's amazing how well silicone holds up in the heat.

16. Logger

Gold Member

Dear Long and Strong,

Ever thought about a job that combines refrigeration with other skills? Do you have teh CFC Universal? How is the Operating Engineer's Union in your area? Are they strong in Atalntic City? I think the NJ licenses go Blue Tag and Red Tag, something like that?

Blessings

17. longnstrong

longnstrong New Member

i was thinking of getting a black seal license which would enable me to work or h2o boilers. and atlantic city is doing alot of rebuilding right now, it looks almost new. but i really want to leave nj bad and live some were diferent for a while. i want to live on the west coast even though i never. and i want to do it while i am still young, before i turn 30. and i am cfc universal, unions are a pain cause they dont hire all the time.

i am also thinking of trying to get some sort of degree in math and or science because their is alot of work in those two feilds, but i am not sure how i can study 4 classes and work 40 hours at the same time.

18. Logger

Gold Member

Dear Long and Strong,

Get married and have three children, then you will find the time to work and go to college. Before my wife had children, I was not able to work two jobs.

I don't know how the unions are on the West cost, but if you were an IUOE member with Hotel experience, you might have an in, to get a decent paying job in LA. The SF IUOE was fairly strong, I know some years ago. I don't know now. A lot of IUOE Locals have jobs listed on line. But the key jobs probably still go under the table to those well connected. If you are a union member, they usually let you sit in on their classes, even if you are not an official apprentice. The Union instructors are usualy well connceted, and and can help you. I think LA is a licensed city, I'm not sure. No license required for most of California.

Do you do trouble shooting? Refrigetation and Air Conditioning? Adjusting expansion valves? Replacing compressors? Or are you mostly just new installation?

Blessings

19. longnstrong

longnstrong New Member

no i mostly do repair work, trouble shooting. and i did alot of work on slurppee machines. i almost never did installs, most of the good money is in trouble shooting refrigerators not installs. never heard of IUOE. may i ask if you have ever lived in cali before or where do you live.

some people have told me, as far as the cost of living goes, i will break even or do a little bit better in cali then in new jersey.

20. Logger

Gold Member

Dear Long and Strong,

Here is NJ IUOE, I have looked at IUOE jobs in NJ before, but maybe you have to sign in now.

https://www.iuoe-68.org/index1.cfm?id=95

Here are some San Franciso Training videos
    http://www.local39training.org/resources/resourcesvideos.html

Here is Los Angeles IUOE Locals:
    http://www.iuoestateunit12.org/Locals.htm

You can just search IUOE New Jesey, San Francisco, or Los Angeles.

IUOE is the International Union of Operating Engineers.

Building Engineers get paid more money, because they can fix a variety of equipment. If a building owner has to call in a contractor for every type of specialized repair, it gets expensive, and the building owner buys repairs beyond what he needs, or gets shoddy work that he has to re-do later. Having a Building Engineer who is skilled in refrigeration, Electricity, Elevators, Chillers, Pneumatics, and ventillation equipment, allows the building owner to mainatain the quality the needs, yet cut corners where issues really don't arise. Many building repairs can be done quickly, and hiring a contractor is wasteful.

A Large hotel will often have one man who is primarily dedicated to ice makes and walk-in boxes, with the oportunity to learn pneumatics and chillers. Some building engineers have a lot of responsibility, and make$25.00 to $35.00 per hour. Mechanics in the IUOE make $18 to $25.00 per hour. Probably more in California.

Have you ever visted hvac-talk.com?

Once you join the IUOE, they expect you to keep paying dues, even if you are working a non-union job. Dues vary from Local to Local. Maybe $25 to $40.00 per month. It might be easier to join in NJ, and then transfer to California, and they might be more receptive, than joining when you get out there. Of course, I have personally contradicted that advice, but I am a poor example to try to follow, since I have gone about most everything backwards in my life.

Happy Hunting!

#20 Logger, May 12, 2005
    Last edited: May 12, 2005