Need a road bike recommendation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandwich, Oct 4, 2012.

1. sandwich

Gold Member

I came home early today, and it's gorgeous outside, and as soon as I type this I am going to go for a ride on my hybrid WHICH I HATE.

I had my dad's old racing bike, and I loved it and road it for a few years until I had a really scary fall involving a hill. It was just too big, and it always felt kind of dangerous, so I decided to try a mountain bike which I like and still have, but it's only fun on certain terrain. Then I purchased a hybrid because I hated the slowness of the mountain bike on a smooth road. Did I mention how much I hate ?!

So I want a road bike to use before the snow flies. I actually have a friend who owns a bike shop, but I don't want to go there because he has asked me out twice now, and I would rather not deal with him.

I am not into racing, so it doesn't have to be the fastest model, and I could spend more than an average price, but not a small fortune. I want something that is fun and stable.

Any ideas?

2. backcheck64

Gold Member

I have a Fuji Newest 1.0. Light, responsive, fast, and stable, though I've only gotten it up to 51mph. Specialized makes a nice bike too. I've got about 2600 miles on it with no problems whatsoever. I split time on it and my Fuji Nevada 1.0 so it doesn't have a ton of miles. Wife has a Specialized Ariel Sport Disk and really likes it.

3. sandwich

Gold Member

Thanks! I will check into those. My mountain bike and my hybrid are both made by Specialized.

4. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

When I was a teen and before I got too tall, I used to ride BMX bikes and hit dirt trials with some nice jumps. Grant it I took some nasty spills and tweaked things and got hurt here and there, but clearing a 15+ foot dirt gap 10+ feet in the air is breathe taking and such an adrenaline rush.

I was looking to get back into BMX bikes but the biggest frame they make is 21" and there is no way I can ride without my knees hitting the handle bars and it would make hitting the dirt trails much more difficult and risky.

I tried mountain bikes, but I'm not a fan of them for some odd reason...the gears always seem to jam up on me or the chain falls off when I switch gears.

Hope you find something that works for you and meets what you want it to do on the surface of your choice :)

5. sandwich

Gold Member

Thanks Surreal! I'm going to be sad when daylight time goes away. And then the snow will come in late December. So October is hit the roads and trails heavily month for me. I took tomorrow off, and I am taking my bike to another county.

6. backcheck64

Gold Member

We ride unless there is snow on the ground, pretty well year round, but his time of year is very nice on the Katy trail....228 mile rail trail through half of Missouri. My wifes old bike was a Fuji Absolute 2.0, it had over 7K miles on it before it decided to self destruct, at least to a point.

7. backcheck64

Gold Member

Now is a good time to buy, stores are moving out the 12s because the 13s are already comming in.

8. sandwich

Gold Member

Hi BackCheck...if you ever return to this thread I would like to know what sorts of layers you and your wife wear in the winter. I am thinking of trying some cold weather cycling...never considered it until you mentioned it.

9. backcheck64

Gold Member

My wife wears "Cuddles" thermal underwear and fleece over that, I wear my usual cycling shorts and jersey. I'm in an ice rink for 10+hrs a week, the cold no longer bugs me LOL. She gets the Cuddles at Kohl's, the fleece is Mizzou wear. Columbia makes some good stuff. I wear the Titanium cycling shorts and a local cycle shops jersey.

#9 backcheck64, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  10. sandwich

Gold Member

That reminds me that I wish I could get some of my friends to go ice skating more often. When I first joined this forum I wasn't thinking about winter so I forgot to mention that I like to watch hockey and that I love to ice skate and that I ski (my state has little in the way of skiing). My dad took us pond skating a lot when we were growing up. I used to skate a fair amount in college but ever since then not as much since none of my friends are into it in a big way. I go about three times per winter.

11. backcheck64

Gold Member

When I was coaching hockey I'd be on skates 4 times a week or more. Our rink has 3 hr public sessions on Sunday so I take the kids and we skate the 3 hrs pretty well every Sun we don't have games out of town. Missouri has a crappy little ski place outside of St Louis, a whole 300ft vert drop. My favorite is Mt Bachelor in Oregon, 3365ft vert, kids love it too. With living in the MO Hockey division, we are considered part of St Louis, and there are 21 rinks in the "St Louis" area. It hasn't gotten cold enough in a couple of years, but when it does, we play pond hockey around here, but it's usually only for a week or two a winter.