Natural disasters - what is your biggest fear?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Vanja, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Vanja

Vanja New Member

Mine is twisters - I've never seen one in real life but they scare the hell out of me! I can deal with volcanoes and earthquakes but heavy winds like the ones a twister makes.... yikes

2. Meee

Gold Member

Asteroids, and I'm not joking. But it isn't actually a big fear, even if it's my biggest fear about natural disasters. It's the biggest of my little fears.

3. igor

Gold Member

I have been in tornadoes where my car got lifted off the road. I have also been in places hit by lightning and had corona balls of blue fire just a few feet from me. I guess I fear wind most of all. I am sure earthquakes would not be a thrill either - we have had a few minor ones here, and they say the New Madrid Fault in S. IL could produce quakes worse than any in CA.

4. HardRocker

Gold Member

Any one of them would worry me if I lived in an area prone to it. I live at an altitude much higher than the nearest rivers and reservoir, not any volcanic activity... yet, but we are on a fault, so I mildly consider the possibility of earthquakes. We are prone to hurricanes, of which I have weathered about 5 including Hugo(1989) at full force, and Gloria(1980s) through the eye wall. And we get lots of tornadoes here. So of those, I'm most anxious about hurricanes and second most about tornadoes.

5. Michellesoldman

Michellesoldman New Member

Well, this may throw me into some ridiculous "alpha-male" category, but really.....I fear very little. If some huge natural disaster strikes, I'll do everything in my power to keep my loved one's safe. Other than that, it's in someone's hands that's bigger than me.

6. VenusIsTheGoddess

VenusIsTheGoddess New Member

Much like Michellesoldman, I fear little. I am such a testosterone fueled beast - death would have to kill me twice before I would give up, haha! Seriously though, I have the belief that if I did encounter an earthquake or anything like that, I would do my best to save myself and others or die trying. Why worry about something you can't control? Although I have to admit, I think being awakened in the middle of the night by a masked lunatic waving a chainsaw around near my face might scare me a little bit.... :D

7. HardRocker

Gold Member

I don't go around thinking or worrying about the ones I mentioned, but after experience and knowing how they work, I make damn sure that, if threatened, I am prepared for them.

8. VenusIsTheGoddess

Preparation is key of course HR, there is worrying yourself sick and then there is making sure you are safe. Safety is paramount in all our lives as far as I'm concerned. It's like hygiene really, haha, I'm no germophobic but I wash my hands after going to the bathroom and keep surfaces clean. Preparation not panic.

9. SteveWaste

SteveWaste New Member

As citizen Steve, I am not afraid of much. Come to think of it, the only thing I've ever really been afraid of is leaving or losing my family. If a natural disaster struck, I've been trained in just about all contingencies from earthquake to terrorist strikes and know whatever I can do to give me the best chances of survival. And really, these things are all you can do. In an immediate effect of natural disaster, your best chance of survival is to be lucky. Number two is to be well-trained. Number three is to be smart.

As Officer Steve, there are a few things that every American family should have in case of a local or national disaster (by using "local or national" we can include man-made disasters as well) to maximize your chances of survival:
    Enough food to last two weeks.
    A case of bottled water per person at least.
    Battery powered lights/radio.
    Batteries.
    Warm, dry blankets.
    Warm, heavy coat.
    A "go" bag with a change of clothes and toiletries.
    First-Aid kit.
    Utility knife.
    Rope.
    Waterproof matches or lighter.
    A mirror.
    A whistle.
    A medium caliber rifle and/or handgun with at least 100 rounds of ammunition that everyone that is of age knows how to operate safely.
    And a PLAN that everyone knows and is expected to follow if the need arises.

I have at least all of this in my house. And I don't expect to ever have to use it. Whenever anyone tells me that I'm over-thinking or am paranoid, I simply ask them, "How is this any different than you paying for your insurance policy every month?" The power of accurate observation is called "cynicism" by those who do not possess it.

Once again, sorry for the rant.

~Steve

10. luvbug

Gold Member

Not far from where I live there have been 45 small earthquakes in the last week. The one this morning was a 3.8. People at the walmart in town *I live 5 miles from town* said they felt it...I dont know if they really did or not.

There have been 2 tornadoes that went within 1/2 mile of my house....the latest one was the end of April which took out my mother in laws house and my nephews trailer.

11. Barbwire

Gold Member

Vanja, I can't believe that living in Iceland like you do, that volcanos aren't your biggest fear. After seeing the news footage of the recent eruption, I'd be scared shitless to live there; not for fear of lava, but for fear of choking in the ash.

12. Vanja

Vanja New Member

Strangely enough I don't worry much about the volcanoes and last spring I drove straight through one of the ash storms (had to drive to my parents' house - they live in the south. It wasn't pleasant I admit but if you're used to driving in thick snow storms, have a face mask and direct the car's AC inwards it's not such a big deal. The biggest worry was how slippery the ash would get because of rain but thankfully I still had my nailed winter tires on so that wasn't bad either. I practically grew up in the shadow of this same volcano (Eyjafjallajokull) as well as the other one (Katla) that still hasn't erupted but is expected to erupt soon (now THAT'S a volcano :D).

What Steve is saying is probably the key to stop fearing these things - preparation. I can't count how many times we went over what to do in an emergency when I was growing up. So I guess I will do something like that when I move over there.

On the same note though - you Americans live around the biggest, most dangerous volcano on earth; Yellowstone. Which makes our volcanoes look like tiny little.... well limp cocks dripping a few drops of pre-cum :D

If you haven't seen it, here's a pretty awesome picture of what it looked like up close (the ash cloud):

[​IMG]

#12 Vanja, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  13. igor

Gold Member

Good grief - that would scare the crap outta me !!!!:eek

14. Vanja

Vanja New Member

But you live in IL right? It would take the ashcloud from Yellowstone just a few short days to reach you (I think) :lol

#14 Vanja, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  15. luvbug

Gold Member

That is scary as hell!!

16. VenusIsTheGoddess

Scary yet strangely beautiful....or is it just me. :lol

17. HardRocker

Gold Member

Quite right. We like to pretend the middle of North America isn't going to turn into a smoking hole one day.

18. Gonecountry

Gonecountry New Member

Hurricanes make me nervous. I lived in Florida for a while and always worried about them lol

19. igor

Gold Member

Lightning is also pretty scary. My property has been hit twice by lightning and it has cost the insurance company plenty to replace the fried electronics. In a previous life when I was a broadcast engineer, I was around a lot of lightning strikes when the towers were hit and equipment in the studios'/control;l room were wiped out. Once the headphones I had on were wiped out during a storm.