My TOSHIBA died!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rose, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I was just behaving myself, reading :sf, getting ready to post again, and POOF! - lo and behold - my poor little laptop Toshiba just blacked-out!

So here I am. using the old faithful iBook........

SOMEBODY!!--HELP ME!!

....ranting...

2. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

3. Rose

Gold Member

:lol - nope - it was plugged in. I'm blonde - but not THAT blonde!

It flashed (for about 3 seconds) a screen that apparently meant something... but not being given enough time to read it, I am still left in the dark. I believe I will have to reformat the hard drive.

I like my iBook (sort of), but I would rather be using my Tobisha.

4. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I wasnt meaning nothing by that lol :p
    Its just that sometimes just sometimes its the most obvious thing that is the problem.

If i knew more about lappies i would have been more than willing to help you solve the problem..

I just found this site , it seems quite good ( as long as you have a yahoo address, you can ask any question related to comps/laptops and you will get answers for it from people who know far more about them .

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index.php?qid=20070210065401AApOvJC

5. Jayce

Gold Member

Was it a blue screen with a bunch of text on it? That happened to my brother a while ago... critical Windows system error out of the blue.

GO MICROSOFT! Lamers...

6. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Jayce lmao...ya microsoft windows the greatest operating system, with rare crashes and bugs :p ......

Rose what ever the problem is i hope you get it sorted out , ( is it still under a warrenty ? )

7. Jayce

Gold Member

Have you tried taking the battery out, but plugging it in to the AC adapter and seeing if it runs then? I've seen some laptops do crazy things when they have an issue with the battery, so try that and see if you can get the laptop to run solely AC power.

Have you made any updates recently? Been keeping up with your virus scanner and such?

Can you get the computer to turn on? Or is it flat out dead? Does it boot and display the Windows splash screen? Can you even log into Windows, or does it just not turn on at all?

If you CAN power it on, during the boot process if you continuously hit F8 you'll boot into safe mode. Can you get that far? BTW I wouldn't change anything in safe mode assuming you can get there.

8. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

I was looking up the problem on a computer discussion web site. The consensus seemed to be that there might be a problem with overheating or a problem with the bios. Might be a good idea to see if it restarts and, if it doesn't, maybe have it checked out at some place like Best Buy's Geek Squad, Circuit City's Firedog or some other such computer place. Might need a new fan or some such. Are you running antispyware and antiadware and antivirus software? If you aren't, I'd git me some!

9. Eris Discordia

Eris Discordia New Member

Don't take to Best Buy! Sorry, I work in a computer shop and I feel pretty confident telling you the techs at Best Buy are incompetent.

10. Rose

Gold Member

I completely shut it down, last night.
    This morning, it booted up fine.

However, I have not heard the fan turn on, and I've been on for about an hour or two..... I am thinking HerHubby has something here. It may be overheating - bad fan. Needs some serious discipline!! :spank

11. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

The fan could definitely be it. Overheating often causes laptops to faint. If it hasn't come on then it might have burned out and needs to be replaced. It's a pretty common occurance because those little fans work so hard. I know Krof has had to replace the cooling fans in his PC a couple of times.

Krof builds PCs and pretty much knows everything about them. If he lived in Virgina he'd probably fix your computer for free, or at least for lunch.

12. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

i love my toshiba...but tech support with them is damn near impossible...i had a harddrive go bad, called in and they said i never registered it (i had) so they would have to go back to their dock shipment date as a warranty date and therefor i was a week to late to get it fixed.... i was so freaking angry!!!

13. Rose

Gold Member

:whoa Oh, my!! I hope that doesn't happen!

As of now, the fan turns on, but not nearly as often or as long as normal. Usually, this laptop stays on (though often sleeping) 24/7. I suppose I should completely turn it off when not in use. Like the best of us, it's getting old and needs it's rest! :lol

14. doberman

doberman New Member

that got me laughing!!! :lol :D :lol :D

i have connections to an american toshiba-salesperson, but dont know if he does retail..

15. Eris Discordia

Eris Discordia New Member

Keep in mind many of the fans are sensing. They only turn on when the laptop reaches a certain temperature. If it spins and does not make any unusual sounds, it is probably functioning properly. Perhaps you could used some canned air on the fan? Just use a small screwdriver or something to stop the fan blade from spinning, and blow out the inside of the notebook. Dusting can help the notebook keep cool.

16. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

Just pay attention to it... i knew mine was going out and I kept meaning to get it backed up. But I didn't, I lost over 2000 photos... luckily a friend of mine was able to recover the rest of it for me. The HDD was making this funny grinding sound. I should have been more attentive, anything more than a gentle 'whiiirrrrrrr' probably isnt good

17. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Um, do you mean ME or the computer?! As for Geek Squad at Best Buy, I guess it depends on where you are located. I have heard of people getting good service at local Best Buy Geek Squad service centers. Of course, there are others in our area. I'm wondering if maybe it IS a problem with the cooling. Those units can get pretty hot!

I had wondered what Krof does! I was interested to learn that he is a computer wizard himself! Maybe you and Thorn should take a trip to Sweden with your laptop!

18. Jayce

Gold Member

Ah, yeah. A friend of mine just had this happen, where the fan died and it just kept crapping out. I've only cracked open a junk laptop one time, and it was pretty freaky seeing everything crammed together. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable replacing it, and I've built dozens of computers, but they all were obviously desktops.