My good ol days

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by awakened, Mar 30, 2011.

1. awakened

awakened New Member

We sat down to dinner last night and talked to my 14 yr. old about his career aspirations. He only has one, show business, acting in particular. We began to discuss his great oppurtunity due to the fact that my cousin is Martha Coolidge the movie director. He wants to move to LA and hang with her and her family and get to know the business. When my Mom was alive she traveled with my Aunt to the set of many of her movies and had a wondeful time hanging with the great actors. Whe I was at the young age of 14 I had the oppurtunity to hang with the actors of The Outsiders, Emelio Estevez, Leif Garrett(teen hearthrob at the time, SWOON), Patrick Swayze, asshole Matt Dillon and so forth. Odd that I went on and on about the wonderful conversations I had with Ralph Macchio, (the sweetest guy ever). Low and behold, I turn on my computer this morning and there he is , on the front page of Yahoo with dancing with the stars(yuck, by the way). Brought back so many memories of my younger days.
    One memory in particular was hanging out at the hotel in the lobby where the actors stayed and being requested to go up to Thomas C. Howells room to give him a bj. I was too embarrased, too innocent to have done anything like that before so I declined. The next day, someone was handing out yellow homemade buttons that read "Do You Swallow". I about died.

Anyway enough of that, I just felt like sharing this morning hahaha:lol

2. Beach

Beach New Member

Wow how cool..!Thanks for a interesting glimpse into your life ! :)

3. backcheck64

Gold Member

My 14yr old is focused on MIT and chemical or pharmacutical engineering, though Duke, UMC, and UK are already scouting him accademically. He'd love to play in the NHL, but is realistic, while a phenominal A level goalie, playing college is the most he really hopes for. He wants to maximize his 163 IQ. With his SATs and ACTs, he could have entered college last year, but wants to play HS hockey and lacrosse...and that whole dating thing LOL. The last parent teacher meetings, we were talking with his sceince instructor, the said "you know your son is weird" to which we replied "tell us something we don't know", he said "no, really,he's like the Big Bang guys intelectually, but popular and an outstanding athlete". We replied, "we know, it's a good weird". My 12 daughter has shifted her interest to pharmacy. She likes the job security and the fact jobs are available everywhere starting at $80K to $120K right out of college. She is being scoutted by one college as a goalie already. She would like to, if she can find a school with both, get her pharmasist degree and a music degree, she loves playing cello when she isn't flattening a guy in her crease....our most penalized goalie LOL. Other parents were laughing, she's the only girl on her team, she lead the team to the division title and state championship, at the end of that game the guys are throwing equipment, yelling....and she's fixing her hair after takeing the helmet off.

Yea, kids are pretty cool....expensive as hell, but cool.

4. awakened

awakened New Member

They are very cool !!!!!!!!!!!!

5. backcheck64

Gold Member

Sounds like your kid is too. Keeping up with them is the bitch. Two kids on travel hockey teams sucks at times, live in hotels during the season, it just ended and his first roller hockey game is Sunday and Lacrosse games start the weekend after that. And both are hounding me to hit the golf course.

Ah a labor of love. right.

6. awakened

awakened New Member

Oh so true !!!
    Im so glad my son decided not to do the traveling baseball. He loves being Varsity manager !!!!! being only sophmore, that is an achievment. The coaches absolutely love him.

7. backcheck64

Gold Member

Yes. the hockey costs us on average $10K a year with only a few equipment pieces replaced. We put about 14K miles on the vehicles with travel, the Drury Suites loves us. Last year really sucked, the both needed new leg pads, $1600 a pair, and new helmets $375 ea. This year my son only needed a new stick $200 (and you have to have 2) and new skates $550. We just dropped $450 on lacrosse equipment and he's wearing my roller hockey gear so we lucked out there. But they're only young once. Now my daughters bugging us about a new cello.....so far there's another $2500 to $3K, anyone have a nice used one they want to sell?