My first thread inawhile

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fantasien, Apr 11, 2005.

1. fantasien

fantasien New Member

Hey well, i was wondering what kind of reliigions you people are if any?

I'm An Independant, who doesn't go with any religion but the walk of life.

2. Septa Scarabae

Septa Scarabae New Member

3. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I moved it here.

Remember to keep this thread polite or I'll have to close it. (This can be a touchy subject)

4. fantasien

fantasien New Member

i don't plan on it getting too that point. Anyway, with the lack of activity in here, it would take a while for o get to that point. I am respecting the rules of this forum i believe?

5. kbate

kbate New Member

I worship only pagan gods and goddesses. Gaia, Isis, Aphrodite, etc....

Saves a ton on the collection plates and all I have to do is sacrifice a virgin now and then to placate them. no sweat.

6. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

i am an ardent christian. however i have NO idea which denomination i ought to belong to...i was born and raised catholic but my preist basically told me i'd never get to heaven so i stopped going to that church... i've always been very active in the lutheran church in my hometown, because thats what all my friends were. it was a comfortable place for me and is what i'm leaning towards especially since my man is lutheran and i want to raise our children faithfully

7. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes New Member

I'm a Christian, in the Reformed Church of America.

Kbate, you can really find virgins nowadays?

Reminds me of a couple of things. One, where a comedian was talking about how in the old days he thought the men would tell the women that they were going to sacrifice a virgin to the volcano as a way to get them to sleep with them. "Come on babe, let's do it." "No" "You know, it's almost sacrifice time." "Well, okay."

2, a "Simpsons" episode referring to the beginnings of Halloween where Lisa say that it started with the Pagans. Homer then says "God bless those Pagans." Funny stuff, that.

8. fantasien

fantasien New Member

yea i think i remember that episode!:D

the reason why i wanted to know this is by seeing how different religions relate to what kind of things those people do in the bedroom. I was interested in how different religions form sexual behavior in the people of that spacific faith.

9. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

my experience is more that my behavior affected my faith... my pastor told me that because i had participated in same sex behavior i wouldnt make it to heaven... so i left the catholic church

10. columbus17

columbus17 New Member

Ahhh---to be a virgin once again and to be able to be sacrificed. :idea

11. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Wonder if anyone wants to help me sacafrice it.

12. fantasien

fantasien New Member

haha. Heres something that Lewis Black said in one of his Comedy Central Specials.

"How can you believe it so strongly that when you die, you'll be meet in heaven with 70 virgins?" and then he goes on and says," When I Can't Find ONE ON EARTH!"

He so has a point though.

13. igor

Gold Member

As if it were any of his business anyway.

14. HardRocker

Gold Member

I was raised as an Episcopalian, which is about as close as you can get to Catholicism and still be Protestant.

I really don't believe there is a micro-managing god that knows my name. I do believe our very limited perception of our universe is infinitely inadequate. Our bodies and minds, as well as everything else is certainly a part of its existence; therefore I believe if a mind can find a way to achieve a point of extreme focus it can affect a change, however minuscule, in the nature of the universe.

What the fuck does that mean? Well, people all over use their faith in whatever it is that they want to believe in, to pray. Yes, I believe if one can find that focus, prayer can actually affect a change in reality; probably not enough to notice, unless possibly organized masses could simultaneously pull the same thread. I just don't know if we're capable of that level of organization... yet.

All of this focus stuff I speak of can be achieved through faith in whatever, from God to voodoo. Some people obviously have a stronger connection with this elusive fabric, because there are those that can move objects, see what's hidden on the backs of cards etc.

I don't believe that this ethereal soup is as constrained by linear time as it seems to a human mind. Linear time may be simply a tool to help our as-yet feeble minds to quantify our life and purpose. I believe it's possible that everything just exists, period. In other words, everything that ever was or will be, just is.

I also think it's very likely that what we call our universe could be just a tiny bit in a foamy froth awash in an ocean of similar bubbles. And so could be that ocean... and so on.
    I just make this shit up. I could be wrong, whaddya think?

So is HardRocker a complete nut?

#14 HardRocker, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  15. Wckd_Beauty

Wckd_Beauty New Member

You know, thinking about it, I used to call myself Wiccan but I don't practice much of it and I don't believe in a higher power either so I guess I should call myself Independent as well.

16. HardRocker

Gold Member

I'm sure there are much higher powers than our minds but I would think they are as much a part of the universe as we are. Maybe someday we will evolve to be part of those higher powers.

You do realize I'm just babbling.:) As much as I would like think I'm really on to something with these thoughts, I'm still only one of the elementary fools that likes to ponder and think big.

Helps keep my mind off of sex.:D

Welcome to :SF. I hope you enjoy it.

17. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Normally we frown upon our members bumping ancient threads and that includes ones they've started. This time I'll allow the discussion to continue because I think a lot more could be added to it.

Just don't let it happen again. :D :whip

For the record, I'm a Richard Dawkins atheist.

18. heelfetish

Gold Member

Right now I don't know what to think. I was a member of the United church my whole life. I DO believe in a higher power, but not in the traditional sense in the Bible. I personally believe the bible to be a mixture of fact and fiction. A means to try to explain and bring comfort to those living. After all, death would be a whole lot scarier if there wasn't somewhere to go after our life on Earth, right?

I believe in evolution. I don't believe the universe and everything in it was created in a week. But at the same time, I believe that someone or something had to create it all. Not in a week, but over a time span so great I can't even begin to imagine it.

I'd like to believe in life after death, but I'm still not so sure about that.

All in all, I try to live a moral life, and believe most in trying my best to be a good person. I just don't take religion itself very seriously.

19. Katprr

Katprr New Member

Honestly I don't have a religion at all. Although I was raised Bapist, my uncle and cousins are pastors,along with many other people in my life. Although I have nothing against any type of religion, I personally just don't have one. I am free spirit and open minded. I would like to think there is life after death, but then again I am not to sure about that.
    That is just my 2cents.

20. HardRocker

Gold Member

There's that time thing again.:)

Me too, but as our thoughts are energy, it's hard to believe we'd remain a single coherent aware entity, maybe more like being added to the grand total of the nature of our universe.

The Golden Rule. What else do you need?